1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Goran Dragic Watch

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by nono, Nov 4, 2012.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Dragic was a beast when he played for us

damn that player option

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

There was 0 reason for not re-upping dragic. You could tell mchale trusted him a lot. The guy was 26 or so coming into his prime and you didn't want to give a 4th yr? 8.3m is very,very easy to move especially for a good player. Hell rudy gay and his 17 mil has been rtraded 3 times in 18 months. Games like last night is why the rockets should've kept dragic. Beverly would be 13 min a night dude if we had dragic.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

$8.3+ million is what Jeremy Lin got. Goran Dragic got $7.5M annually.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have 0 evidence for this, but I suspected losing Dragic and to do with the plan to get Lin. It was known that Alexander was dead set on getting Lin back in the fold. The Linsanity thing was a huge embarrassment for Les and he let Morey know it (as Morey himself mentioned in radio interviews).

I understand the team had a policy against player options, but it seemed a weird deal killer. But if they were so focused on re-acquiring Lin, the downside of losing Dragic may not have looked so bad, while the downside of the contract likely looked worse.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. VanityHalfBlack

Pour salt on wounds, DAMN that is cold!!!! You are the king of picture references wait until LOF sees this.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats very true on being able to deal a good player at that contract rate

Morey probably saw it as the 4th year wouldnt have been 7.5-8.3 mil, it'da been more like 10.5-11.5 mil if Dragic played well and opted into free agency (and I think the rules are tougher on sign-&-trades now)

Or basically, its a "YOU don't decide ANY of YOUR fate, WE do ALL the deciding". Its a control issue, front office wanting to hold all leverage and give away none. In Morey's mind its "We'll keep you the first 2 years but out of spite since we can't get it OUR way in your 3rd-4th year we'll deal you after the 2nd year to regain back leverage that you took, forget about considerations of staying around more"

Still, if a player is good and he's playing above is contract, that becomes a dealable asset that SOMEONE would want. To me at worse even if Dragic didnt do well heading into his 4th year, barring some physical or off-court catastrophe he'd still be at least be "Jeremy Lin" level asset.

8. NotChandlerParsons

I honestly think it was just the player option that was the sticking point. Of course unless Dragic is seriously injured before that option comes up, there's no way he's not going to opt out and get paid even more.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I honestly think Dragic was aching to go back to Phoenix anyway. He always said he liked it there while he was a Rocket. Wish we could've kept him though.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think he would have probably preferred to stay here. He was playing pretty well down the stretch. We missed the playoffs by one game. Suns were in full out rebuild mode.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Bump:

Dragic with 30 points on 9-13 shooting in 24 minutes tonight.

Lowry with 33/7/11

Good golly!

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ha, yeah he should have followed your advice at time, and we could have assembled your dream lineup:

13. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

personally i believe goran is much better than both harden and lin and parsons

14. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Ignore this post, someone hacked my account.

15. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

I really hope he makes the all star team this year. He'll probably get snubbed but I think he deserves it

16. pakattak

pakattak Member

I can't really think of many guards in the West that deserves it more than him outside of the usual suspects who're going to be starters anyway.

Curry and Harden are shoo-ins, Westbrook and Paul are injured, Lillard is probably his biggest competition for a spot, but I think Goran deserves it more. He's putting up great numbers AND getting wins for a "bad" team.

17. rolandvpro

rolandvpro Member

30 points in 23 minutes, and 13 straight with a swollen elbow.
    thank you drive through

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was pretty pissed when we let him go. His ability to keep his dribble in traffic was Nash like.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

IMO, the player option was just an excuse, a fake line in the sand Les Alexander required so he could bring back Lin. My guess is Morey wanted Dragic, Les gave him some leeway, but used that player option to keep Lin hopes alive.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Really don't understand why everybody thinks everything always has some ulterior motive.

It is very clear that having the books open for 2015 was a huge priority.