1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama is a POH

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Feb 19, 2013.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'm in the same boat, f*** the penny. Whenever I get change I never keep the pennies and end up loosing all that change. Coin machines don't even take pennies anymore...

So yea, all the Republican POF can come and rant.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/21252200/obama-wants-to-retire-the-penny-but-can-it-be-done

Posted: Feb 19, 2013 2:43 PM CST Updated: Feb 19, 2013 2:43 PM CST
    By NBC News

By Ali Weinberg, NBC News

(NBC) -- President Barack Obama finally broke his silence on an issue of national importance Friday – he thinks it's time to retire the penny.

The possible extinction of the one-cent coin was a featured economic question in a Google+ Hangout with the Commander in Chief last week as John Green, the co-creator of a popular YouTube channel, applied a little presidential peer pressure.
    "Australia, Canada, New Zealand, many other countries have gotten rid of their pennies," Green said. "Why haven't we done it?"

"I gotta tell you, John, I don't know," Obama responded, adding, "Anytime we're spending money on something people don't actually use, that's an example of things we should probably change."

But why should anyone care? They're pennies. Aren't there more valuable things to worry about?

First, pennies actually cost more to make than they're worth. In 2012, every penny cost 2.41 cents to make – more than twice their face value.

And as zinc and copper – materials used in minting the penny – have become costlier due, in part, to manufacturing shifts in China, which are likely to raise costs further.

Granted, the total cost of minting pennies was only $58 million last year – less than one-tenth of a percent of total federal spending in 2012 – but groups like Citizens to Retire the U.S. Penny have long been making the economic case for getting rid of the penny (plus, the group adds, fishing for pennies adds about 2 seconds to each cash transaction per day).

And the U.S. military has already decided they're essentially useless; all Army and Air Force Exchange Service stores on bases round all cash purchases up or down to the nearest nickel.

With both parties looking for ways to cut government spending, it seems as though cutting penny production could be a relatively painless, if insignificant, place to start. But in the Google+ Hangout, Obama ceded that Washington has bigger fiscal fish to fry.

"The penny is an example of something that I need legislation for," he said. "And, frankly, given all of the big issues that we have to deal with day-in/day-out, a lot of times it just doesn't -- you know, we're not able to get to it."

There have actually been efforts to pass penny-banning legislation. Back in 2001, then-Rep. Jim Kolbe (R-AZ) introduced the "Legal Tender Modernization Act," which would have made pennies obsolete by requiring retailers to round up or down to the nearest nickel on cash purchases.

That bill failed, and Kolbe's second attempt in 2006, the "Currency Overhaul for an Industrious Nation (COIN) Act," after zinc costs nearly doubled, met a similar fate.

But the president doesn't need Congress to explore other, cheaper alternatives to zinc – the main metal in pennies. In fact, the administration's 2013 budget encourages the Treasury to "explore, analyze, and approve new, less-expensive metals for all circulating coins like aluminum, iron and lead."

It wouldn't be the first time Abe Lincoln's coin got a makeover. Back in 1982, the penny changed from 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc to 97.5 percent zinc and 2.5 percent copper.

(And lest so-called "penny hoarders" try to melt that valuable pre-1982 copper down, the Mint in 2006 prohibited the melting of pennies and nickels. It also made it a crime to carry more than $5 in one and five-cent coins out of the country).

Changes to the composition of pennies do have Congressional champions: Ohio Rep. Steve Stivers (R) introduced the "Cents and Sensibility Act" in December 2011, which would mandate that pennies were out of American steel (much of which comes from the Buckeye State) and dipped in copper.

But these efforts will be met with some serious resistance from the zinc lobby (yes, there is one). The company Jarden Zinc, which creates "metal and zinc coinage," according to its website, paid lobbyist Mark Weller $340,000 in 2012 to discuss issues related to "minting/money/gold standard" with members of Congress and the Mint, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

Weller also represents the pro-penny group Americans for Common Cents, whose website warns of the risk of inflation that eliminating the penny would bring, and whose headquarters are on K Street, known for its many D.C. lobbyist offices.

"Americans for Common Cents aims to inform and educate policymakers, consumers, and the media about the penny's economic, cultural, and historical significance," the group's website reads.

The political power of the penny is likely another reason Obama hasn't acted on getting rid of it. As far back as 2008, when he was still a candidate, the "penny lobby" appeared to mystify Obama.

Asked about it at a town hall in Pennsylvania, he said, "We have been trying to eliminate the penny for quite some time -- it always comes back," joking, "I need to find out who is lobbying to keep the penny."

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I hear Obama wants to put his face on all US currency. :p

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't agree with this, I think it's a nice back-door subsidy to zinc/copper miners and the frugal. I'm also inclined to think there's extra liquidity of some kind.

4. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

itz a "cent" dood.........use da rite werds.....

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Could we devalue our currency by a decimal?

6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Conservative here - I agree with Obama on this. I do think its time to get rid of the penny...but it will send inflation up as most companies would round their goods prices UP to the next nickel. The question is do we do it now, or wait for the economy to rebound a bit more. If we wait we're wasting more government money that we don't have...if we do it now, then we're possibly hurting the economy.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

"Anytime we're spending money on something people don't actually use, that's an example of things we should probably change."

I see what he did there.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . .everything now would be rounded up to the 5 cent mark
    [because we know NOTHING will be rounded down]

Rocket River

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

it would be hilarious if this some how boosted our economy...

10. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Obama's way of fighting inflation.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Inflation is historically low under his leadership.

12. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

source?

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

History.

you're still here?

[​IMG]]

14. Major

Major Member

Google.com

Is this really even up for discussion? Did you really not know how long inflation is these days?

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

16. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

17. Major

Major Member

Same question to you. Do you really not know how low inflation is these days? Did you miss the last 4 years of the Fed being concerned by the possibility of deflation?

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

There are plenty of sources. The inflation rate is math, not really up for debate.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110620083300AAK6J0Q
    Here's another http://www.statista.com/statistics/191077/inflation-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990/

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

by getting rid of the penny...he can increase taxes...

Just rounding to the nearest nickel...:)

20. Major

Major Member

Taxes are already rounded to the nearest dollar, I believe.