1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Do the Children of Southern Racists Inherit the Disorder?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That hasn't been my experience.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To expand on that, if you were to see anti-Semitic Nazi propaganda posted on a thread about Israel.....would you think that was a conservative that did it?

I'm sure if you think about it, you'll realize that racists come from all sorts of different backgrounds and have political views across the spectrum.

3. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member

I think it's getting better, but there are certainly instances where worldviews are passed down by parents, especially in insular communities (small towns, segregated towns etc.)

Socialization and interaction are the best antidotes to backwards thinking. With the advent of the internet and people being more well-connected, it is becoming less and less acceptable to espouse racist views and harder to stay insular. That, coupled with the fact that millennials are less racist, sexist, and homophobic means that these worldviews will melt rather quickly. There is work to be done, but reason to be optimistic.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think regional bias or classism is both more precise and sufficiently impactful.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well there are certainly racists in the Midwest, just a lower percentage I would say. Ferguson is a suburb in St. Louis. Southern Missouri was for the South and Little Rock Arkansas one state south was where Eisenhauer had to call out the US army back in 1956 to integrate the schools.

When talking about racism in the South despite my initial example I think Houston itself is more enlightened than many other areas.

#85 glynch, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Good to hear. I tend to believe that things are changing more than the guy I talked to as quite a few of my friends in Houston say their views are different than their parents or friends they grew up.

7. Remii

Remii Member

Sounds good but the civil war had nothing to do with making southern White folks treat minorities equally... And if the South would have just went along with the North they probably could have held onto slavery for a little longer. But even if everyone was the same color people would still find reasons to hate each other... It just wouldn't be about color.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Your other favorite topic, black quarterbacks. :grin:

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

actually he's half white, half black

10. CometsWin

So how do you racially self-identify on paperwork, by street, area, MUD district, school district, town, city, region, state, time zone, country, hemisphere, or planet?

The question is whether the children of racists that are southern inherit racism as a trait and not that southerners are racist. You have failed reading comprehension.

11. CometsWin

Yes, of course. He's often mistaken for being white.

12. dback816

dback816 Member

The south is statistically proven to be more racist and less progressive than the North, especially the Northeast.

You really want to argue otherwise?

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

it would be irrelevant either way. it doesn't explain why the Op chose just Southern racists. The fact he did shows his own racism against southerners.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

A certain political side loves defending the most bigoted states in the world- Islamic states.

15. Remii

Remii Member

So you mean African... No wonder.

His parents are fresh off the boat with a different culture and history.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Dad was from Cameroon and mom is from Haiti. They came here almost fifty years and both had graduate degrees before any of us were born. Particularly compared to the likes of you they're not fresh off of anything.

17. Nook

Nook Member

That's great... Especially considering you don't even offer up your own personal experiences for your belief system other than it fits your antiquated absurd and absolute view of the world, which I will point out really isn't that different in fundamentalism than those you view as evil.

Someday you and those you rally against will both stop white knighting and realize that the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Ugh... I am not sure why it even matters. His mother was white, his nonexistent father black... He was raised by his white grandparents, went to school and socialized with mostly white peers... He married a black woman.... Define it however you want. Do people see a black man when he walks by? I am sure some do... I know some black people that don't consider him black. Race is more complicated than ever.. There are so many biracial young people that now are having children with other biracial people that it is getting to the point that you really have to want to classify many people.

The election of Obama was of massive historical significance whether he is biracial, black or whatever.

19. Faust

Faust Member

how is that irrelevant? if a certain region of our country is more racist and less progressive another, then making a topic about just that region based on that fact is not irrelevant. dont be a dumb person bro. if european, african, and asian moslems are more violent than the american variety, it's not biased making a topic about just those other moslems. why is there a difference between the two regions? southerners and northerners are the same species of animal. so it aint something biological. its something cultural or in the water that makes it so. my whole family is from the deep south. dont think your the only with butt hurt feelings if people bring up your region's weak points. instead of being in denial you need to talk about the elephant in the room.

that being said, a better question woulda been how much racism do kids inherit from their old folks per generation? the answer is less than 100% so eventually say 30-40 years things should look different if everything holds steady.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Are people really pulling the "yeah well your particular black" doesn't count card?

I suppose when you are walking down the street everyone immediately knows your family life story and seperates you from other dark skinned people.