1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

my new elephant

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Holden, Jan 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Holden

Holden Member

i own a little piece of land just outside of Fulsher, where i keep a few exotic animals. i have an emu, a peacock, and a few antelope. just recently i had a friend pull a few strings and i was able to purchase an elephant. im transporting it over there this wednesday. i realize the uptake will be a b**ch but i am very excited about it. does anyone else own any exotic animals?

:eek:

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i have a 2 year old son..does that count?

3. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

an elephant? what on earth do you want with an elephant? peacock, emu, antelope... ok, but a freakin' elephant?

I sure hope in a few years I'm not hearing about some guy in Fulshear that got busted for not being able to take care of exotic animals...

good luck
    rH

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

is his name Stampy?

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

babar..that's a strange name...isn't that a childrens' elephant book?

i don't know, i wouldn't have any

no children

no elephant books

6. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

I love this site, I have been a avid observer for a year now.

But I must say, This thread actually forced me to sign up !

I'm dying to know, what the heck are you going to do with a
    elephant ???

Also, can you tell us any particulars ? age, gender, name, and
    what are you going to feed it ?

Good luck

7. Holden

Holden Member

its 8 months old.
    i just like driving around in my jeep and watching my animals graze and what not. i pretty much leave them alone, except putting food out.
    Im going to name her Leviticus after the book in the bible. ill just call her Levi for short.
    along with the purchase of my elephant i received a one years supply of food. its specially made, like dog or cat food is. i really am not sure what it is composed of to be honest with you.
    if any of you want to come over and take a look around, be my guest, i have a small lake where i go fishing in a small boat, its usually just me and an 18pack so you are welcome to join me.

:eek:

8. outlaw

outlaw Member

Horrible name

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Driving thru Texas, you pass places where people own exotic animals and you wonder what sort of person would want to import animals from Australia and Africa to Texas. Now, I know.

All that aside, buying an elephant is really cool. I'll be sure to do it as well... after I pay my student loans, get a house, get my wife a car, get a complete set of chairs for my dining table... well, eventually, I'll get there.

10. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

You must be pretty wealthy to be able to afford all those animals!

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I hear emu tastes pretty good...

Don't know about elephant, though...You know I COULD use a new set of dominoes :)

12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Holden.....no offense buddy, but you seem to have an extremely cavalier attitude about this. A quick search on the Internet told me that an adult elephant eats several hundred pounds of food a day. Can an elephant get enough nourishment just by browsing on your land or will you need to supplement her diet? Even just a hundred pounds a day seems like an awful big responsibility. Are you ready for this?

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Um, 1 year's supply of food for an elephant?! Damn dude, that's gotta be brought in by like 50 trucks. :eek:

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I used to work for a pharmacist whose uncle or father has an ostrich ranch out in Central Texas. They actually have a purpose for these things don't they? I mean, for example, they're raised for whatever reason and not just for "show".

At least I hope so...

15. DiSeAsEd MoNkEy

have you rode on it yet?

16. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Do you know how the winner of the 1998 Darwin Award's won?

Well here you go:

Oh and BTW enjoy the elephant and dont get hurt.

17. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Elephants are perhaps the most socialy dependant animals in the world. Read this quote:

or how about this letter about Zoo Elephants

try reading this article

While your clearly not going to be beating the animal, or chaining it down, what you are doing is clearly not that much better. Either you care more about having your little 'toy' than you actualy care about the animal's welfare, or you couldn't be bothered to research what is in the animal's best intrests. Either way, I hope you are proud of your self.
    :mad:

#18 Ottomaton, Jan 7, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2002
  19. Special Patrol Group

I hope that you mean at least eight years old. Elephants are partially dependent on milk for at least the first two or three years of their lives. At nine months, an elephant's diet should include only about 40% vegetation. They don't even learn to use their trunks properly until seven months. They sure as hell shouldn't be taken and left alone in the middle of Nowhere, Texas at that age.

Even if you could properly care for an elephant of that age, leaving it alone would be cruel, as elephants are highly social animals. It would also be incredibly stupid, as elephants learn behavior in much the same way as humans. If not taught proper "herd behavior," they can grow to be highly aggressive and destructive.

I would hope that no one would sell a baby elephant to someone who was planning to stick it somewhere and leave it alone. I can't imagine where you would get one.

20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Yah...elephants are pretty smart. I was watching this "ten smartest animals" show the other day on cable, and of course, the great apes, dolphins, and monkeys were one, two and three, but elephants were like four or five. I remember because they beat out dogs at number seven. Of course, the word "cat" was never mentioned.

Maybe they were eleven.