1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RocketMan Tex, Jul 20, 2001.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Hey posters...I found out last week that I'm heading to Chicago on business for 3 days or so about a month from now. It's the second time I've been there. My days will be filled with work, but my nights are my own, so I want to really take some time to explore the city. I'm going to a Cubs game my first day there, and probably to the famous southside blues club the Checkerboard Lounge that evening. I'm staying in the Western suburbs (Westchester/Oakbrook area) because that's where my meetings are. My question is...anybody got any good restaurant & bar/club/lounge suggestions for me? All replies greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

2. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Tex- If you've never been to a Cub game, go early and stay late and hit as many bars as you can in Wrigleyville. Jaw-dropping scenery. You are single, right? [​IMG]

------------------

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

bartleby lives in Chicago . . . I'll see if I can get him to stop lurking and come post . . .

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I did all the touristy things...

Sue the Dinosaur (Museum)- B+
    Art Insitute - A+
    John Hancock building - B
    Planetarium- D-
    Aquarium - B
    Soldier Field - B
    Blues Festival - B+
    Chicago Style Pizza - A+

Other tourist things
    Harry Carry's pub
    Sportzone
    MJ's Restaurant
    Haunted Restaurant

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

There's an awesome restaurant in Schaumburg/Rolling Meadows called Magnum's (steak house). Steaks to die for. Lobster, too. I'm not keen on the fish (the sauces are too sweet; if I want something sweet, I'll order a Mountain Dew, you know?)

Less pricey? Same area, in a shopping center called The Streets of Woodfield (I think), is a great little place called Big Bowl. I think there are other locations in Chicago. Really tasty Southeast Asian cooking and inexpensive.

The same area has places like Tony Roma's, California Pizza Kitchen (but those are also found in the Houston area, I believe). There's also a Cheesecake Factory downtown, but you can also do that here. Hmnn....

The thing is, Chicago has good food most anywhere. I envy you. You make me think of my friends in Chicago. I've had some great times there. Enjoy. (If you can, take the train into Chicago from where you're staying and you'll see why I b**** about Houston's desperate need for rail). It's a pleasant and different experience for someone dealing with Houston freeways all the time.

------------------

6. RocketMan Tex

Absolutely. Last time I was there (late last year) I took the trains everywhere and kept thinking how nice it would be to have public transportation like that in Houston!
    Thanks for the steakhouse tip!

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

7. RocketMan Tex

Yup, was planning on doing that exact thing my first day. A couple of friends told me the exact same thing. My plane gets in at 1:30 PM and the game doesn't start until 5PM, so I got some hangin' time. And yes, single at the present time. WOO-HOO! [​IMG]

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

My favorite restaurants in the area are:

Bob Chinn's Crabhouse in Wheeling
    The Silk Mandarin in Vernon Hills
    Mickey Finn's in Libertyville
    Gino's East in Downtown

I'm jealous.

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of Uma Thurman.

9. bartleby

bartleby Member

Chicago for 3 days...hmm...i guess if you want to do touristy things, phislammajamma named them. But yeah, if your typical sports lover, take the el and head over to wrigley...watch the game...get piss @$$ drunk in the many bars, walk around the area, and check out the many hot chicks!

------------------
    http://home.uchicago.edu/~ckhuang

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

for the best hot dogs in Chicago, hit Demon DOgs. its famous for rock and rollers going there to eat when they are in town.

also, for some awesome jazz, hit The Green Mill. When I went last Spring, I told myself "This is the best live jazz I have ever heard in my life," and it goes until 5 am.

the El(elevated subway) goes straight to Midway airport, AND to O'hare!!!! [​IMG](THANKS BRANDED).

Oh yes, Lincoln Park has a beautiful zoo inside of it, so if you got time, go there.

that was my poor man tour of Chi town, my third favorite city behind NYC and houston

------------------
    fitter, happier more productive
    comfortable
    not drinking too much eating well (no more microwave dinners and saturated fats)
    sleeping well (no bad dreams)
    no paranoia
    fitter, healthier and more productive
    a pig
    in a cage
    on antibiotics

[This message has been edited by across110thstreet (edited July 22, 2001).]

11. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

The Blues Fest is seasonal, the Haunted restaurant is closed and so is MJ's restaurant.

------------------

12. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

It's called Woodfield Mall and it's one of the best in the Chicagoland area...about 25 minutes north of downtown.

But there's a Big Bowl downtown too. Love the place.

------------------

13. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Bah! Maybe it's old to me. Living, working, training it downtown and back for 10 years. Now I slip in the Lexus, turn up the tunes or tune into sports radio and zoom along the lakefront.

------------------

14. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

You're wrong. It goes right into the airport...very handy.

------------------

15. bartleby

bartleby Member

I wouldn't waste time in a mall where the same experience can be duplicated in any mall in the U.S. If you want shopping...walk around michigan ave. in downtown...its a bit expensive, but its a nice mile stretch of beautiful buildings and scenery. DOn't goto big bowl...its' part of this really ****ty chain which runs different theme restaurants....If money is no object, and you like steaks, check out the Chop House, 2nd best steak house in the country...on Ontario St.

------------------
    http://home.uchicago.edu/~ckhuang

16. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I don't think I've ever seen that -- a quadruple post block . . . well done gettinbranded!

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

[This message has been edited by Vengeance (edited July 21, 2001).]

17. RocketMan Tex

I'm the mirror opposite. Here in H-town, I slip into the Lexus, crank up the tunes (Stevie Ray this morning)...

...and sit in traffic!

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Chicago is pretty dang nice, I love Houston but Chicago is just so cool. Northwestern is an insane university. Sunbathing right on campus! You youngsters better study your quantum physics.

------------------
    "banging Shaq is a whole different expirience"-Pete Babcock
    Behold the power of quotation

19. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Tex,

If I'm in town when you are (I am on vacation in August from the 15th through the 27th), you can send me an email. Otherwise, I can only recommend places and websites. [​IMG]

If you're looking for a great blues bar, don't overlook Kingston Mines. About a block away from KM there is a bar named B.L.U.E.S. that has great music. Both of these places are in Lakeview/Lincoln Park, which is about 3 miles north of downtown, and my stomping grounds. Of course, there is Buddy Guy's Legends just south of the Loop (downtown).

A great rundown of what's going on in the city can be found at www.metromix.com.

------------------
    Posting Spree 2001

20. RocketMan Tex

Keeley...thanks for the info, especially the blues bars. It looks like you'll be on vacation while I'm there...I would have enjoyed meeting you. Thanks to everyone for their Chicago info as well. I need one other piece of info...

When I'm in the Wrigleyville area (both before and after the Cubs game), which are the "must-see" bars/taverns? Is there a particular one to go to (or two or three)?

I'm the type of person who usually finds a barstool somewhere and stays there for a while! Must be my advanced age... [​IMG]

Thanks again for all of your replies!

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker