1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rep for self-criticism thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I thought maybe this would be a good way to build some bridges of agreement, especially since this happens to be a very polarizing time for American politics.

Post the best self-criticism of something/someone which you have staunchly supported in D&D, I'll rep you and hopefully others will follow suit. Alternatively, you can say some words of praise for something you normally are critical of. In responding to other people's posts, try to appreciate what they're saying from their perspective, and at least try to save your instinct to be critical of their self-criticism for another day/thread.

Since I'm constantly accused of being one-sided it is fitting that I should kick the thread off and try to establish some good will:

At the risk of being called a kiss-ass, based on all the ones I've met over the years, I think Americans are fantastic people and maybe I don't say it enough. Virtually every American I have ever met, I have gotten along with very well, and this includes both recent and ancient immigrants to America, old and young, male and female, etc. I won't speculate too much on the possible reasons, but I think it has to do with the vast level of adversity which has been tackled by accepting more and more waves of culturally distinct people while not significantly deviating from what I think is a very good set of principles. This brings with it issues sometimes, but it also brings an understanding of how people are similar and how they are different.

I don't think any specific country has more/less "good people" than others, but certainly some countries are more accepting of diversity, while others less (my own). It's an example of how a culture is shaped by circumstances rather than by genetics >> something which I think is commonly rejected in more culturally and racially homogenous countries. Perhaps this is particularly important to me because I am a mixed race, mixed culture person in an unfortunately highly fragmented society.

I would consider it a shame if you didn't know this about me just because I spend a lot of the time being critical of American foreign and domestic policies.

If that statement is baloney, let me know and I'll try again.

Now let's hear it. Think hard about this. I think it would be especially fruitful if the hardcore right and left wingers put some serious self-criticism on the table but obviously totally up to you.

1 person likes this.
  2. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

USA! USA! USA!

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I didn't see any self-criticism in the post above by Mathloom. None. At all.

But I will try to say something in the spirit of the thread:

I do post a lot about one single issue, and I know it. I sometimes go overboard in my discussions with certain people, and what I regret about this is that it may offend some moderate people who I know are not ideologues. It is not my intention to offend these people.

4 people like this.
  5. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Great idea, we'll see if this bears fruit but I applaud the effort nonetheless.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Hmmmm. Alright, I'll try some more.

The treatment of construction workers in X country is atrocious. While it is true that they are better off here than they would be back home, I find this to be a hollow argument which does not really address problems, some of which can be solved even without spending an extra dime if that is the concern. I am horrified when I see them and it takes a tremendous amount of restraint to patiently and carefully raise awareness (in an ultra PC way) and hope for change. To think that they endure these conditions while trying to raise a paltry sum of money while living far away from their families truly makes me feel like weeping.

#6 Mathloom, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i don't use smilies enough

1 person likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't see any self-criticism in that one either.

Try something like this: "I've been wrong about X and was too stubborn to admit it."

Oh, and here's mine. Not necessarily for the D&D cuz I don't post here, but more for real life: 1) I don't explain myself clearly enough and just assume people know what I'm talking about and 2) I too often give off an elitist vibe. Which is preposterous because I have nothing to be elitist about. So that makes it even worse than it would otherwise be.

1 person likes this.
  9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Sometimes I post assuming a level of intelligence and political awareness not to be reasonably expected on this forum and unwittingly offend my fellow posters.

1 person likes this.
  10. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

I apologize to the world for US Imperialism in respect to standard door sizes. Obviously our country did not consider the impact for those using the metric system when we standardized on the 3'-0" wide door.

USA! USA! USA!

1 person likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I sometimes come off as a pretentious know it all, but I'm more curious in picking the person's brain and getting more facts.

I do leave 'tests' in there, but it's less about tripping them up and making them look stupid, and more about needing to know if they're solid in what they say.

1 person likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Ok, last try, but this probably predates my D&D tenure.

I've been wrong about homosexuality and was too stubborn to admit it.

13. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

My three biggest criticisms over myself is I work too hard, care too much and when I have sex I sometimes get complaints that my penis is too big. :(

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Come on guys. I want to see some hard hitting stuff, related to issues discussed in the D&D. I want to see everyone from tallanvor, mc mark, big texxx, giddyup, redredemption, refman, the whole lot. Grow some balls, spill some beans.

15. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

congratulations for being able to come out of the closet. so many lead a miserable life, never being able to consummate their true life's passion.

1 person likes this.
  16. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I was wrong for assuming Mathloom was straight, and I apologize for that.

1 person likes this.
  17. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

The UXE tightly monitors the internet usage of it's citizens so freedom of speech is limited. Citizens from that nation function on groupthink so self criticism isn't really an option. In this case, you have a guy deceitfully praising the citizens of other countries to justify vilifying their government. It's a form of establishing rapport but deep in his heart the guy will cut you. He will pull the plug from your life support himself if his holy duty called him to do it... while finding a way to avoid accountability for flaws of his country, religion and personal nature.

#17 Honey Bear, Sep 4, 2012
  18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I hate religion.
    I consider that both a problem and a gift.
    I'm not duped by religious rhetoric and sentimentality when it comes to discussions about said topic. However at the same time I meet religion with the highest degree of skepticism and cynicism than anyone else here.

I'm constantly forced to balance the gray line between respecting others beliefs and criticizing beliefs I believe to be an obstacle to human progress and human rights.

#18 RedRedemption, Sep 4, 2012
  19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I’m ridiculously condescending towards the other side because I know I can get away with it due to strength in numbers and the anonymity of the Internet.

I’m terribly disrespectful towards other people’s religions even when the overwhelming vast majority of the members of those religions worldwide are simply decent human beings.

I too often let my passion for my own religion impede my ability to listen to others, and in my excessive efforts to promote or defend my own religion, I just make myself look silly.

I pop in and make inflammatory remarks simply to rile up the other side.

I love to read op-eds and books and studies and anything I can get my hands on that mirrors my way of thinking, and I love to use the conclusions of these readings as statements of fact to debunk anything the other side has to say. If it’s written somewhere, it must be true; even if common sense dictates otherwise. My head is filled with so much knowledge, but sometimes I think I’ve lost the ability for critical thinking.

I see things in an e-mail or on Facebook or I hear from a fishing buddy, and if it is critical of the other side, I immediately believe it without taking the time to vet the information, and if I can find a link (however spurious), I’ll immediately post it here without much effort to start a serious discussion.

If someone from the other side posts something I don’t like, but is well presented and well-reasoned, I like to focus on some point that is peripheral to their main point in hopes of drawing attention away from their message. If I don’t have the time or energy for that, I simply resort to ad hominem attacks.

I’d like to think I’m better and smarter than the rest of you, but I’m not, and my efforts here are a waste of time because I’m not convincing anyone of anything…….other than that I can be a real *******.

4 people like this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

How is this self-criticism? Sounds like rationalization.

-----------------
    I tend to under-credit almost everyone by assuming their beliefs come without experience. I'm always humbled to learn when someone believes a certain way politically because of life circumstances or some kind of epiphany. My favorite posters to converse with are always those who have changed their views or approach an issue without the pretense of already being on one side. I naturally assume internet posters have formed their opinions from talk shows, college professors, or Comedy Central. Not necessarily a good assumption.

1 person likes this.