1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYTimes on EG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jan 19, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Who says maturity and character shouldn't count when considering bringing in a player?

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/19/sports/basketball/19GRIF.html?pagewanted=1&th

This Time, Griffin Vows to Make Adjustments That Last
    By LEE JENKINS

Published: January 19, 2004

At the cathedral where the students of Roman Catholic High School congregate for religious services, a priest prays for Eddie Griffin.
    Behind the gates of Seton Hall, where the class of 2004 completes its senior year, Griffin's former roommates remind one another to leave him tickets at the will call window.

And in the executive offices of the Houston Rockets, where the team president and chief executive calculate just how much one misguided 21-year-old cost the organization, an 8-year-old boy asks how his friend is feeling these days.

The prognosis, for now and perhaps forever, is uncertain.
    Griffin receives counseling for substance abuse and depression, he lives under curfew and court restrictions, and he has separate hearings tomorrow in Houston on charges of felony assault and misdemeanor drug possession.

By Wednesday, he will be eligible to join the Nets' active roster, marking the latest in Griffin's long series of second chances. The priest prays that this is the last one he will need.
    Griffin's potholed pilgrimage extends from Roman Catholic High in Philadelphia to Seton Hall, from Houston to New Jersey. But surprisingly, his network of supporters reaches just as far. The people Griffin might have alienated the most seem to be pulling for him the hardest.

That is just one of many paradoxes that define Griffin, a player who is simultaneously described as violent and gentle, who has repeatedly raised his fists but has hardly ever raised his voice, and who sometimes gets along better with ball boys than with teammates.

One of the tattoos on Griffin's left biceps reads, The Truth. In his case, however, the truth lurks far beneath the surface. Griffin insists he is finally discovering the center of his polarized personality.
    "I feel like I accomplished so much in therapy," he says. "I have learned 100 percent more about myself."

An Angry Young Man

Of course, he has made similar statements in the past, and they have always been proved false. The difference now may be that he is receiving help for the problems he used to ignore. Therapy has taught Griffin to go back to the beginning of his life, retracing his missteps and learning from each one.

No one would have suspected such a temper raged inside such a mild-mannered boy.

Growing up in the West Oak Lane section of Philadelphia, Griffin was considered more the baby of the house than the big man. His mother, Queen, worked every night as a nurse to support the family, so Griffin clung to his older sister, Marian. On the rare occasion that Marian walked down the block without Griffin by her side, she remembers, neighbors would ask, "Where's your Siamese twin?"

Griffin never got along as well with boys his own age. At age 10, when he started getting into scraps and could not explain why, Queen sent him to live with his outgoing older half brother, Marvin Powell, who was a basketball player at the University of Hartford.
    Three years later, Griffin returned to Philadelphia and became a basketball star, with silky post moves and a mature understanding of the game. When he was cited for fighting as a sophomore and a junior at Roman Catholic High, no one seemed to notice. His accomplishments on the court overshadowed any of his troubles off it.

But after Griffin brawled with a classmate over a card game in the spring of his senior year, the Rev. Paul C. Brandt, Roman Catholic's president and rector, finally determined that the best way to help Griffin was to punish him. He expelled Griffin, the national high school basketball player of the year, and barred him from commencement.

"I was concerned about where it would all end for Eddie," he said.

"I always hoped that would be a wake-up call for him. I didn't want him to have to go through what he has gone through the past few years because he is actually an excellent young man with an extremely sweet nature."

Brandt, like almost everyone Griffin has ever encountered, refused to give up on him. He helped arrange a home-schooling program for Griffin, set him up with anger management classes and awarded him a diploma.

Even today, Brandt refers to Griffin as a role model because of his enduring humility and the way he always embraced younger students. Griffin's photographs and magazine covers still hang proudly in the athletic center. His jersey rests in a safe in the basement, with other school souvenirs.

Griffin has rarely returned to his high school or college, but people on those campuses monitor him as a favorite son gone astray. As proof of Griffin's relative youth, the members of his recruiting class at Seton Hall are only now in their senior season. They often reminisce about their freshman year, when they lived with Griffin in the dorms and created their own family away from home.

"I talk to Eddie regularly, and he told me a couple of times that he really wishes he stayed behind and played all four years with us," said Marcus Toney-El, a senior forward at Seton Hall. "I still believe there are ways we can help him. We always have an open-door policy for Eddie."

Andre Barrett, a guard who roomed with Griffin when they were freshmen, said: "If he sees us doing well and being happy, then I think it will take a lot of stress off of him. If he can see his friends having fun, then he will start having fun as well."

Losing Control

In his one and only college season, Griffin showed his potential for greatness and self-destruction. When he reported to campus, he promised his mother there would be no more outbursts, and he promised his coaches that he had learned from anger management courses in high school. Although Griffin was named national freshman of the year and the Big East rookie of the year, he may be best remembered for punching a teammate, Ty Shine, in the locker room.

But the most devastating blow came when Griffin was preparing for the N.B.A. draft. He received word that Powell, his brother and father figure, had died of a heart attack at 34.

Griffin did not have time to grieve. The Nets drafted him seventh over all, then traded him to the Houston Rockets. Without his role model and mentor, Griffin was unprepared to handle the wide-open world he was about to enter.

He bought two houses in Houston, one for his mother and one for himself; he equipped his with four video-game systems and a pinball machine. A couple of friends from Philadelphia moved in with him. They brought more friends. Griffin's home turned into a high-tech frat house.

"I wasn't too trusting of some of those faces I started seeing," Marian, Griffin's sister, said. A registered nurse, she moved to Houston this year to be closer to Griffin. "I just think Eddie needed to appreciate and value himself a little more. It's hard for him to say no a lot of times. He has to be stronger."

Griffin started drinking heavily and admittedly fell into a deep depression. In April, he was arrested after the police in Houston said they stopped him for speeding and found mar1juana in his car. The Rockets tried to push Griffin into therapy, but he resisted. They suspended him for missing a flight and practice during the preseason, but he did not seem to care. Griffin could not relate to his older teammates and considered quitting basketball.

"I promised myself that I was going to extend myself to this guy," said Knicks guard Moochie Norris, who befriended Griffin in Houston. "Teammates didn't always understand where he was coming from. They would just be like, `He doesn't say anything.' I know he regrets everything that happened. He wishes that he opened himself up more."

The eruption occurred Oct. 25, when his former girlfriend Joann Romero went into his home and found him in bed with another woman. Griffin's lawyer, Rusty Hardin, said Romero was asked to leave and refused. Romero said Griffin punched her three times in the face and fired a gun in her direction twice as she was driving away.

The Rockets had little choice but to release him, and Griffin had little choice but to enter the Menninger Clinic in Houston. There, he learned that he had been suffering from depression, that his condition had worsened after Powell's death, and that he was unable to handle the burden of supporting several family members and friends.

Changes, for the Better

Griffin often appears most comfortable around children. One of the only lasting relationships he built in Houston was with 8-year-old Lucas Postolos, the son of the Rockets' president and chief executive, George Postolos. When Lucas fell and injured his head two summers ago, Griffin rushed to the hospital and stayed by his bedside. Less than a year later, when Griffin was hospitalized for far different reasons, Lucas wanted to repay him with a visit.
    "There's definitely another side of Eddie," George Postolos said.

"There are a lot of stories like that."

Ed Stefanski, the Nets' senior vice president for basketball operations and a Philadelphia native, said he first heard about Griffin when he was "in fifth or sixth grade." Stefanski became the latest suitor to be charmed by his unquestioned skills and naïveté. He persuaded Rod Thorn, the Nets' president, to sign Griffin and persuaded Griffin to return to the arena where he played college basketball.

"I was nervous meeting all these new people, but I'm glad they've accepted me," Griffin said. "I'm just happy to be getting another chance. I am going to take advantage of it."

The Nets are not willing to see him stumble again. Stefanski is accompanying Griffin to court hearings, and the club has hired a counselor to work with him. In an attempt to protect Griffin as much as possible, the Nets have restricted reporters' access to him, and he may not start to play until next month.

"Every day, Eddie gets a little better in the gym and in life," Stefanski said. "He is changing. He is a much different person now than he was even a few weeks ago."

Each morning, Griffin reports early for individual workouts; four players come along to help him learn the offense and get back into shape. Rodney Rogers will eventually compete with Griffin, but he has seen something of himself in Griffin, the shy newcomer who nervously bites his fingernails on the bench and rarely speaks until spoken to. "I thought I was quiet," Rogers said. "But he's quiet."
    The hardwood has always been his ultimate refuge, the only place Griffin seems totally at ease in his 6-foot-10 frame, practically floating from the paint to the perimeter. When practice ends, he hustles back to his apartment to check in with the court and make daily phone calls to his mother, his big sister and, now, his daughter.

Four months ago, Griffin's girlfriend gave birth to his first child, Amaree. She lives with her mother in Griffin's house in Houston, but last week, Griffin missed the little girl so much that she and her mother came to New Jersey for a visit. Those close to Griffin say Amaree shares his sleepy eyes and sheepish smile, and they believe her very presence will push him to continue his therapy and turn his life around.

With help from their family and friends, two children could grow up together.

2. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting read. It filled in a lot of details for me. Glad to hear that the Rockets management tried to push EG into therapy.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Didn't bother to read it.

f*ck EG.

4. DJ

DJ Member

Doesn't EG have another child?

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Great. He was a good buddy to Postolos' kid and now we don't have Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

I am very understanding and human, but this is business. And business had to suffer.

6. SCOOTER T.

SCOOTER T. Contributing Member

I wonder if Eddie's family will stay in Houston or move with him to NY. Get on board the gravey train!!!!

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I blame the Rockets for not doing more, they should have hired someone to be his mentor.

This is going to bite the franchise in the A$$, Griffin will mature and become a very good player in the NBA....FOR SOMEONE ELSE !!

DD

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

DaDa,

The team tried to get him into therapy. He had teamates step forward and try to help him.

What else could they have done??

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

When you draft a 19 year old, you set him up with a mentor or guidance counselor who helps you get a house, lives with you etc..etc....

They could have done more....IMHO, the Rocks were unprepared to draft a 19 year old player.

DD

10. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Interesting, I hope he gets his act together.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

Or the 19 year old was unprepared to be drafted. Two way street.

Did KG, Kobe, and other young players need this to stay out of trouble???

Regardless, I am quite positive (I remember reading something about it) that the NBA offers a consultation program for incoming rookies and high schoolers. It talked avoiding the problems that plague professional athletes (night life, money, etc.).

EG, even though he is 19, he is an adult. He had anything and everything he needed at his disposal, and he took none of it. The team can't force him to do something he doesn't want.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Agreed. A 19 year YOUNG player.

What a bloody shame (his life and the Rox [mis]fortunes as a result .Just think of all the (reported) possibilities turned down. Oh, the woe.)

13. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

He even imported his mom.....

14. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Some of you need to lighten up. Com'on, its only basketball. The kid definitively has a mental illness and needs help. We all should wish him well. Peace.

15. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

When I read stories like Eddie Griffin's I can't help thinking,

What a waste.

To be given that much talent, that much opportunity and that much love and fritter it all away.

For Eddie and his family's sake I really hope he gets it together and I hope sometime down the line he realizes how much everyone is doing for him.

For the Rox though cutting him was the right move.

16. jshabang

jshabang Member

Bull......this kid is a basket case...period

I've heard these stories to many times in this league

Not tryin to be negative but this story reminds me to much of the Leon Smiths of the world......

the worst part of the article is when they say he's moved on to Jersey...they have set up every baby sittin plan available to him and he still doesn't really talk to his teammates......after all this Rodney said "I thought I was quiet" "Hes really quiet"

Eggie still has not open up
    To much baggage...........I'm glad hes in jersey

17. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Given Eddie's history coming into the league, it is surprising that the Rockets didn't do more in assigning someone whose main job was to see to his mental,physical,and social well being---whether his mother came with him or not.

Look at how much they did to make sure Yao felt as comfortable as possible in a new culture,etc. And Yao was seen as mature and level headed with no history of being in "trouble" situations.

With all the hype and hopes everyone had for a 19 year old Eddie with a troubled past, how could they have not invested more in looking out for him?

It's sort of a catch 22 I guess. On the more important hand, I certainly want to see Eddie overcome the personal demons of mental health that plague him and hopefully he does it soon so he doesn't do any more damage to himself. But on the other hand, the sooner he succeeds, the sorrier this all turns out for Rockets basketball-wise. I still say the Rockets should've kept him this year and should've pursued a course like the Nets are following now.

Any chance he comes back as a free agent??:)

18. AGBee

AGBee Member

They talked about that on one of those Primetime/Dateline type shows that was covering the Kobe saga. It was a mandatory program for all rookies.

19. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Dada, I am with you. I am a CT resident and went to school with Marvin. There is no doubt in my mind that the Rockets failed with this one. It was not the easiest thing to deal with but clearly a lot more could have been done. In the end, I believe they think that he is not going to deliver, so they got out. We will have to see. I am just so sorry that he is not on this team for the upcoming stretch run and beyond. At the risk of being unfair to JVG, I believe he had an undervalued sense of EG. Just like he has backed off on some of the bad moves he made with Ming, the release of EG is one bad move that he should back away from, but can't. It is too late.

Another bad move was the Posey thing. I am just not believing that the team would not be further along and more equipped for the stretch run with EG and Posey instead of Pike, Padgett and AD.

20. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

I saw Eddie Griffin play for two seasons too... I really don't think he can become more than a marginal NBA player, so your fears can be laid to rest. I'm not sure how much more muscle he can put on, and right now he's too small to be agressive at the 4 position. Sure he blocks you some shots, but the jumper is inconsistent and he can't finish in traffic. What kind of player do you imagine him becoming?

Anyway I'm glad the team is free of his distractions. But yeah, I'll eat my words when (IF) he comes back to bite our ass.