1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

S & T for Boozer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 13, 2004.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Is there any way we could sneak in on the fiasco with Utah and Clevland for Boozer?

They have the right to match any offer for him, and Houston could offer Mo-T and the TE for Boozer.

That way we get Boozer, and screw the Jazz in the same deal.

That would ROCK !

DD

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'll re-open this thread actually so people can discuss why it's impossible.

3. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Could not we send the TE to Clevland for Batite, and then do a S&T for Mo Taylor and Boozer?

Is that not possible?

DD

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

just a suggestion...

[​IMG]

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

:)

Funny, but is it impossible or not?

If Boozer has burned his bridges in Clevland, why couldn't we help out our freinds in Clevland all the while screwing our enemies in Utah?

I would LOVE for Boozer to be on the Rockets....

HELP !!!

Is it possible or not?

If not, why not?

DD

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He basically already has signed with Utah. He will go there unless the Cavs match the offer.

Since he is already signed, we cannot do a sign-and-trade deal. However, we can do a regular trade to get him.

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

So it would be possible.

We could trade the TE with the sole purpose being that they trade Boozer to us after matching the Utah offer.

Sounds like a chance for Clevland to get something back for a player they have come to lager heads over.

Also, it puts a stick in Utah's eye...always a good thing.

DD

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It is not possible. Teams may do sign and trades, but Utah is going to have ZERO interest in ditching Boozer for Mo Taylor or the TE or anything else. Why in God's name would they do something that stupid.

Also, Cleveland cannot do a sign and trade because they must be able to match the contract offered Boozer in order to sign him and then trade him. They cannot do that without renouncing a TON of money and they aren't going to be able to do that.

End of story.

9. Willis25

(I can't believe I am responding)

for the same reason that Kobe will not be on the Knicks... it requires the current team (with Bird rights) to be willing to trade the guy... IF the Cavs cut salary enough to get CB under contract (by matching the Jazz's offer), why would they then trade him to the Rox - ?

Sign and trades only work when the main team doesn't want the FA and just wants to get a draft pick or role player out of the deal - Mo T is not that good and his contract is a killer. The Cavs arenb;t going to gut their team for a net result of ending up with big Mo

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Guys,

As it stands now Clevland will lose Boozer and get NOTHING in return.

Mo Taylor over nothing is a better option for the Cavs.

Is it a GREAT option for them....NO...BUT it is an option.

DD

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Ahhh....Where did I mention Utah getting anything?

DD

12. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Technically, he is NOT signed. At least not till 12 AM EST when he can sign the offer sheet. So I suppose Lloyd Christmas would say, "So you're saying theire's a chance?!"

Yes, Lloyd, there's a million to one chance for a sign and trade with Cleveland. Until midnight when the dream ends.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The point is that, if Cleveland COULD sign Boozer, they would simply MATCH Utah's offer and keep him. The only reason they are going to lose him to Utah is because they CANNOT match Utah's offer. They have to be able to sign Boozer FIRST before being able to trade him to us. They can't sign him without eliminating some contracts. They aren't goint to eliminate those contracts just to sign Boozer and then turn around and trade him to us for Mo Taylor.

That is just ridiculous.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Jeff,

We have a TE, they could use it to sign Boozer.

They may not trade Boozer to us, but we could at least flease them for Batite.

DD

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dakota-

The problem is Cleveland CAN'T match any offers. If they could, they'd match the Utah offer and keep Boozer themselves.

They can't sign Boozer to a contract starting at greater than ~5.2 mill. Therefore, they can't sign and trade Boozer to a contract starting at greater than ~5.2 mill.

Assuming Boozer signs the offer sheet with the Jazz tomorrow, then Boozer will either be with the Jazz next year, or Cleveland will clear all the cap room necessary and he will be with Cleveland. He then can't be traded until December in either scenario.

If Boozer signs the offer sheet like he plans to do, then yes, a sign and trade is absolutely impossible.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Actually, if I were the Cavs, I would rather have nothing than Taylor's bloated contract, so it is definitely not a better option.

But if you really want to discuss the theoretical possibility...I think it would be theoretically possible - there might be other possibilities, but I am only looking at transactions between them and us.

First, they would have to do this trade with us:

MoT+Pike for Ilgauskas

TE for Ollie (or McInnis), Wagner

Then, they would have enough money to re-sign Boozer to the kind of contract he is looking for.

If they really wanted to give him to us after all of this (which would not make any sense) - then we could trade Weatherspoon and Boki (or Weatherspoon and Howard for Boozer and filler) or something like that for a re-signed Boozer (at the salary he is aiming for) in a sign-and-trade (not possible at all if Boozer signs the offer sheet with the Jazz first, see NIKEstrad's post).

End result: They would have totally destroyed their team.

Why would they do that?

I don't know :).

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

DD, you are hereby prohibited from ever insulting my GARM posting again.

18. Willis25

the trade expection is for TRADES not for signing players under tha cap.

The Cavs would have to eliminate salary to sign CB otherwise they lose him to Utah... maybe we should try to "help" them with that cap problem - only problem there is some bad blood between CB and the Cavs

19. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Your logic is correct Jeff. I was just pointing out that there is currently no need to match Utah. Until Boozer signs the offer sheet, the possibility of a trade with Cleveland still exists. A techicality, to be sure, but if DD wants to hope until Utah gets his signature, then he can.:D

#19 SA Rocket, Jul 13, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I guess I was not clear enough....

We trade the TE for Batite, then they match the Utah offer and in a S&T ship him to Houston for Mo Taylor.

DD