1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[SI] Goodell Article; Football in Houston instead of LA = failure

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, Feb 5, 2011.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

si.com

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181467/6/index.htm#ixzz1D6clmxHK

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Well, it seems like the article didn't even elaborate...

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I guess they should have given LA a team regardless of if there were a reliable owner and/or stadium deal available. Houston had it's **** together, LA didn't. That's why we have a team and they don't.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I didn't have internet access yesterday so I was bored and read this entire article. actually its a pretty good biography but I couldn't believe it so boldly disrespected houston like that. I'm usually the one to tell people to chill on whining on Houston disrespect but that is just ridiculous

5. Major

Major Member

I think the point was that Goodell's failure was his inability to help LA get their **** together. Interesting to see that he thought it would be better not to expand than to add a non-LA team. I'm assuming the idea was that 32 teams is the ideal amount, so they didn't want to close themselves off to LA, though now it appears that relocation could get them there anyway.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

In the end it comes down to money -- the Texans are already the 10th most valuable franchise in all of sports. That is a stunning success that wouldn't have happened in LA.

1 person likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I read it as he failed to put a team in LA.... I did not read it as "putting a team in Houston = failure".

I think everybody knew that the NFL wanted a team in LA... that's no secret. When it failed, and when Goodell said that "no deal is better than a bad deal", Houston got the nod.

IIRC, the NFL expanding to 32 was always the ultimate goal.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

putting a team in houston instead of la=failure, which is exactly how it is written and therefore meant imo

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The failure is that there was no team in LA.

The 32nd team could have been anywhere... Oklahoma, North Dakota, San Antonio, Nebraska, Virginia.... the fact that he was unable to get a team to LA = failure.

Houston has nothing to do with it... except for the fact that they were the NFL's backup choice if the LA venture failed, which it did.

10. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Re-read, cowboy. They didn't "boldly" disrespect Houston. It was failure for Goodel who didn't get the team to LA. That was the first choice, so that was the failure for Goodel who didn't get the deal done.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

semantics; if there is not team in LA that is a failure, putting any city down that would take its place. if it wasn't disrespectful, it would read, he didn't get a team in LA, but he got a good franchise with a solid owner in Houston.

12. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Houston is not the failure , it has been the Owner , GM , Coaching , Coordinators, Personnel on the field that has failed the city . Texas loves football as much as any state in the deep south. The team has had one winning season in what like 9 years ?

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

honestly, that is so poorly written if you don't want to be disrespectful. why even mention Houston if the only failure is LA.

given the national perception, I don't doubt that it was meant to be disrespectful. its not written by goodell, and its not written by the nfl, its written by sports illustrated, who still sees a team not in the second largest media market in the country, houston be damned.

not to mention the lack of onfield success

14. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I think the problem is poor reading comprehension, not poor writing. The entire paragraph talks about Goodell's goal being to get a team in LA. He did not achieve that goal, thus he failed. It's obvious that the author is referencing Goodell's failure, not that the league failed by putting the 32nd team in Houston.

This city as a whole has an enormous inferiority complex.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its obvious he didn't reference it? :confused: HE DID REFERENCE IT, BY NAME

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

and kiss my tootie on the reading comprehension

the sentence break down

When the NFL's 32nd franchise began play in 2002, it was in Houston, not L.A.—a rare failure for the league's rising star.

a rare failure references both parts, they are not separated, it was in Houston, not L.A.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm with pgab, that's how I read it. Why mention houston in the sentence if you're stating no franchise in LA is the failure. He may have not meant it that way, but the way he wrote it.....

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because its part of the story of the failure of Goodell to get a team in LA. Because he couldn't, Houston got one. Plain and simple.... its not dissrespect, its reporting the facts.

The 32nd team went to Houston, not LA. A failure since Goodell was charged with getting a team to LA, and that is all. He had nothing to do with trying to get a team in Houston.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The NFL is not in LA because it gives 30 other owners the continuing threat of LA to extort whatever they need from their community. That's value added to every team owner, effecting their bottom line more than actually having a team in LA ever would.

And it's 30 because Green Bay's team is not owned by a fat cat and can't be threatened.

GO PACK!

20. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

No franchise in LA is the failure. But the author doesn't say that the league failed because Houston ended up with the team, he's saying it was a failure for Goodell. Why? Because as the previous sentences point out, it was his goal to get a team in LA.

It's not saying that LA>Houston, it's saying that Goodell wanted LA to have a team and they did not get a team, therefore he failed. I don't see what's so hard to understand.