1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's your craziest Black Friday story?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by roxxfan, Nov 20, 2013.

1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I'm hoping and praying I get to work Black Friday this year so I can see what all the fuss is about. Has anyone seen people getting trampled or something like that? Fights? Orgies? Seeing all these stories of people dying and stuff seems disturbing to me. Especially over something like a cheap TV.

2. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

I worked on BF for the first time last year at JCP. I didn't open so I don't know how crazy it was in the AM. I heard it was insane though.. unfortunately I had to close and lemme just tell you..it was BAD.

I'm almost sure everyone is forced to work on Black Friday if you work in retail

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I once beat a man to a bloody pulp for the last Furby. Not my proudest moment. I did get the Furby though.

1 person likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Have done Black Friday for 6 years usually in Baytwon where my parents live.

Never seen a fight. Did get pelted with hail outside of Bestbuy.

Figured out quickly you can't do it alone(bathroom break). Figured out quickly no matter how early you think you might be there are always people who have been there since Wednesday.

Have enjoyed it a lot of times just chatting up and meeting strangers.

Tips are to always keep an eye out online while waiting in line. Sometimes you can get better deals online than in door busters.

Unless you want door buster like TV's or laptops you don't have to be there super early BUT remember the LATER you get to the store the LONGER the line getting out will be. That's why I wait.

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

2 years ago I was looking for a new TV, and saw Conn's had a great 46" Toshiba for $499. It had all the features I was looking for, and I believe it was one of their doorbuster items. So I bring a friend of mine with me to camp out Thursday night at Conn's in Sugar Land. I can't remember what time we went, probably around 10 pm that night.

We're probably the 10th and 11th people in line, which is cool. Well, the weather got bad that night and I had to make like 3 trips home to get more clothes to put on for me and my friend. Eventually we fell asleep on the sidewalk, and I remember shivering and waking up, finding out that it started raining and I happened to be laying on an uneven sidewalk. I was laying in a shallow puddle of freezing cold water, with consistent rain pouring down on me.

I sat through it and we were less than an hour from the store opening. About 30 min before they opened, an employee came outside and said they only had like 10 of those TV's in stock, so I knew I'd get one. We get in the store, and the dude that was in line in front of me with his nephews grabs 4 or 5 of those Toshiba TV's. I got the very last one. When we were in line waiting to check out, I asked him why he was buying so many, he told me he was going to put one in every bedroom of his house, and one in his master bath. I almost felt offended by that lol.

There were some pissed off people in line behind us, for some reason the people at Conn's let him buy all 4 or 5 of them, instead of making it a limit of 1 per person. So glad I was able to get one, I still love it.

6. SunsRocketsfan

Back in high school Senior year my friends cute little sister who was a sophmore wanted a new laptop at circuit city. No one from her family or friends would go with her so I said i would take her. I didn't need jack crap but hey she was really cute so why not. Well we were waiting in line at like 4am for the door buster and it was super cold so we started cuddling to keep warm. It was still freezing so we decided to wait in the car since we put down a seat to save our spot. One thing led to another and we were making out and then all the way. Ahhh what a memory. Best black Friday ever.

7. SunsRocketsfan

Oh yea I rmemeber buying a answering machine that was free after rebate :)

8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

My college freshman year I completely forgot about Black Friday, but then purely on a whim, I decided to head to the MALL OF AMERICA because I had free time. Fortunately it wasn't that horrible because I went around 1, but I remember getting on the St. Paul light rail and thinking "Man, the train is crowded toda- OH NO."

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Not a cool story bro but years ago I went to Walmart for a "5AM ONLY" item (it was a TV) and as I was waiting in line with a few other customers, one guy casually asks me "So are you excited about the TV?" (like the yokel suburban dad he was) and I responded with a pretty detailed critique of the item (what I liked, what I didn't like, etc.) and apparently the fact that I found ANY flaw with the TV personally offended him to the point of throwing up his hands and shouting "WELL WHY THE F*** DO YOU WANT THE DAMN THING?!" and storming off. I was shocked at first, but then I realized that I probably hurt this simpleton's feelings. He had developed some kind of inner romantic fantasy with this TV, thinking it was beyond perfect and going to turn his life around, and I managed to find a flaw in it. Weird morning.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I worked BF for two years in college at Best Buy.

The only thing I can think of that would be more miserable is being one of those customers, standing in lines and crowds all day.

11. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I swear I saw a tent outside when I drove by best buy today.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I killed a man with a trident.

13. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

i love black friday you get to watch all thepeople stand in line like fools to buy electronics they can barely afford just bc they're on a giant sale.

It's a matter of what's your time worth and my time is worth more working than standing in line waiting for a day or 2 to get something on sale

14. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Kicked the hell outta this kid for a dvd player.

Pushed an old man into a door

15. Asian Sensation

I worked a Black Friday at Best Buy one year via Comcast. Best Buy and Comcast had a partnership together so I was a Comcast employee soliciting internet services for people shopping for computers and laptops. When they told me I'd be working the Black Friday they said to report to the Best Buy at like 5:30 am and find the manager.

I got there and there was already tons of people waiting in line, camping out with sleeping bags, tents etc. I thought I had to go through some secret back or side door but I just slid in right through the front with my Comcast polo.

The next year I had a new job but I saw some deals and I remembered how easy it was getting in. I wore the same Comcast Polo and had a jacket in my hand and slid into the store 10 mins before opening. I walked around the store until opening and then once the doors opened I put on my jacket grabbed the nearest cart and bought a bunch of crap. It was glorious at the time since I was always looking for deals. Now I'd rather sleep and avoid the crowds.

CSB.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

why is it always about race with you people

17. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

Hahaha what a beast

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Ive done about 4 BF's. They all have been pretty civil. The worse was a couple years ago in a small town. Everyone was pretty respectful and helpful to each other. A couple "thugs" pushed their way through the crowd, started tearing into a pallet a few minutes early, ignoring the worker telling them to stop. After the fury started, I seen one of them snatch an item from an older ladys hands. The sad thing was there was plenty of items to go around for everyone.

19. ashiin

ashiin Member

I woke up, checked the prices online for headphones and bought one.

Crazy story.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.