1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asik discussion: Poor guy deserves at least one thread about him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 5, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Lost in the shuffle between the cry for rookies, Hardon for Harden, and massive influx of Jeremy Lin fans, is of course our brand new center. Whom no one particularly seem to care. But make no mistake. His play have made a lot of impact.

Offense: His shooting, and by shooting I mean his dunks/layups/tips, have been really bad, hovering at 35%. This has been very disappointing for someone who supposedly worked on his game in the offseason. But at the very least, I expect him to eventually return to norm at Chicago, which is ~50% shooting, barely goes to the line, and shoot ~50% there too. His offensive rebounding rate is beastly though.

Offensive Rating of 71, which is HORRENDOUS. A number I assume would rank him last among any player playing more than 30mpg. The saving grace is that he doesn't do much on offense, so his crappiness is minimized.

Defense: He's a rebounding machine, just as advertised. Rockets defense currently ranks #9 in Defensive rating, compared to #17 and #19 in previous two years. This despite a team put together just recently, with teammates basically all under 25.

Defensive Rating of 97, which is very good. Unfortunately, does not make up for his inept offense. In Chicago fans say that he hurts his team's scoring as much as he helps shut down their opponent. And numbers back this up. In Houston, he's hurting our offense even more than he help our defense. But his defense is VERY, VERY good.

Overall, I'm incredibly impressed. I expect him to anchor our defense for years to come. His lack of offense isn't too big a deal, due to his low usage rate. But I hope he can at least revert back to his offensive norm, which is roughly 1 extra dunk/layup per game than right now. Actually, if he just made one single dunk in the Portland game, we'd be 3-0 right now. Hopefully he gets his dunking skills back. :)

2. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

I love Ashueek!

3. Parpar2j

Parpar2j Member

i think so after i've watched the tape he didn't play well with the offensive and didn't get the Pick&Roll that Lin & Harden create for him. Sometime he had the problems with spacing.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I like him a lot. We knew what we were getting with the offense. He'll have his share of 1-7 games, but he'll also have a bunch of 6-7 games. In the end, I think it will even out to around 50%.

His defense and rebounding are legit. Well worth 8 million/year.

5. gah

gah Member

He's been a beast, I hope he's not demoralized after these two bad games, it's a manner of cause and effect that he will see improvements if he keeps working as hard.

6. Parpar2j

Parpar2j Member

but i love Asik Reb

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

There is a lot more to offense than scoring buckets though. Asik is a really underrated passer for example. I am very high on Omer and I have been so for a while now since he was with the Bulls. I don't think people realize that this team really doesn't function without him. He changes shots in so many ways. Even if he stays exactly as he is now but continues to be a beast on the defensive end he is a total STEAL at the price we have him for. In my opinion although some disagree Asik is up there in terms of defensive impact with current DPOY Tyson Chandler. He is also younger, at a cheaper price & has yet to even hit his prime yet.

8. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I already booked him for Most Improved Player, only if Harden doesn't become top 5 in NBA scoring at the end of the season.

9. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

He looked good on offense in pre-season but he's missed many close shots that he just needs to make, kind of like Yao he tends to go up soft. That will come with time, when his conditioning improves and the offense is clicking. Defense is good but there's room for improvement. Rebouding has been amazing though, we're #2 in the league of total rebounds. Let's hope he can do it against the elite teams.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The biggest strengths he adds to our offense is offensive rebounding and setting solid screens. Both are extremely important, because we rely heavily on the pick and roll and we've been clanging a ton of perimeter jumpers.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He put a screen on Lillard that knocked him on his ass! Love it and Lin got an And 1 because of it.

12. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Bill Simmons said that Omer Asik would lead the league in rebounding this season.

I don't doubt he will.

Rebounding and defense are the two things you want in a traditional center.

I get it, Rockets fans got a little spoiled having Hakeem and Yao provide great scoring as well, but really it's just eating glass and defending the paint that are a true center's primary responsibilities.

And in those departments, Asik is amazing.

1 person likes this.
  13. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

i think he will be fine, his O is already better than when I saw him in Chi. He is looking for the dunk on the roles, and he roles hard to the rim when. We just got to get him the ball better. I hear he has butterfinges but I think that will improve

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Nice post. He does need to regress back (up) to his norms on offense, but I love what he's done as an interior presence.

15. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Great on defense. Hopefully he'll average out close to 45% too on offense. At least to keep people honest, otherwise folks will just not guard him.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If only Scola wasn't 31. He would have for nicely with his post play and bad rebounding.

17. roxxy

roxxy Member

Exactly. Things like this contribute well to offense. He is also a REALLY good passer. I think people see Omer not dunking the ball or having bad hands and they get upset. But we knew this about Omer from the begining. What he has showed us thus far is what Morey paid for, Morey said as much, nobody in there right mind should be complaining.

18. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

We gettin married soon. Love me some Asik! The Rebounding machine, Liked his D against The Hawks. I remember last year The Hawks would ALWAYS kill us on the boards so many second opprotunities were given to them. But not this year, ASSSSSIIIIIKKKK

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What has happened to all those monkey stretch dunks in traffic we saw all the time in Chicago?

20. holly1985

holly1985 Member

I like Aisk's performance so far and he's earned every penny of his contract.

If he can improve his offensive game, it'll be even better.

Is it possible for him to develop into a player, let's see, like Tyson Chandler?

Lin/Harden lob to Aisk will be beautiful.