1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Rockets ranked #1 in........

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jocar, Dec 3, 2012.

1. jocar

jocar Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PACE: Pace Factor - the number of possessions a team uses per game.
    AST: Assist Ratio - the percentage of a team's possessions that ends in an assist. Assist Ratio = (Assists x 100) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44) + Assists + Turnovers]
    TO: Turnover Ratio - the percentage of a team's possessions that end in a turnover. Turnover Ratio = (Turnover x 100) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44) + Assists + Turnovers]
    ORR: Offensive rebound rate
    DRR: Defensive rebound rate
    REBR: Rebound Rate - the percentage of missed shots that a team rebounds. Rebound Rate = (Rebounds x Team Minutes) divided by [Player Minutes x (Team Rebounds + Opponent Rebounds)]
    EFF FG%: Effective Field Goal Percentage
    TS%: True Shooting Percentage - what a team's shooting percentage would be if we accounted for free throws and 3-pointers. True Shooting Percentage = (Total points x 50) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44)]
    OFF EFF: Offensive Efficiency - the number of points a team scores per 100 possessions.
    DEF EFF: Defensive Efficiency - the number of points a team allows per 100 possessions.

The pace factor is used to estimate the number of possessions a team has per game. The more possessions a team accumulates, the quicker the pace of the game. The formula for this statistic is: ((Tm Poss + Opp Poss) / (2 * (Tm MP / 5))). The first part of the equation sums Team Possessions and Opponent's Possessions. The latter half of the equation uses Team Minutes Played, which is the total number of minutes played by each player on the team.
    (more analysis of the pace factor)

Not sure if it amounts to anything other than exciting, high-scoring games, but hey, we're #1! So go suck on that. Someone!

Actually a higher pace factor does have an effect scoring efficiency...(I'm guessing because of fast breaks/layups/unsettled defense? - not sure)

"All in all, a team can expect to increase their Offensive Efficiency by 0.32 points for every extra possession that they use per game. This means that, so far this year, a team that uses six extra possessions per game might be expected to gain about 2 extra points in Offensive Efficiency.
    Faster offenses were slightly more efficient than the slower ones in 2004-05 (by only a slight margin: 0.03 points per 100 possessions). In 2005-06, this gap increased to 0.80. This year, the gap is up to 1.4. This means that, rather than shrinking, the benefits to be gained from a faster paced offense are actually increasing. ."

http://www.82games.com/levbot.htm -based on the fast paced Suns offense 2004-06

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Looking good..

But come on, we need to improve our defense! I'm looking at you PatPat and Harden

We have the potential to be an extremely formidable defensive team with Asik, Parsons, TD, Lin..
    Harden has the IQ to be a quality defender, i'd like to see more from him

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I believe we're also #1 in the lowest percentage of state residents who can actually watch the games on TV.

5 people like this.
  4. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Made me lol

1 person likes this.
  5. rawool

rawool Member

Lol, nice. :grin:

6. kastuul

kastuul Member

http://www.hoopsstats.com
    Position Ranking:

LIN 20th PG
    Harden 3rd SG
    Parsons 5th SF
    PPT 21 PF
    ASIK 12th C

We have 2 positions in Top 5.

If Lin keeps play well, he can move up to Top 10-15.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

[​IMG]

8. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

Is there a stat for TV viewership?

9. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I agree that Harden and Patterson need to improve their D but I think our defense problems has more to do with learning to play together and learning the system.

Last year the Rockets were 15th in defense and we were weaker center position and Scola was worse than Patterson on D.

10. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

lHahal. Rockets ranked no.1 at running.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Getting the transition defense tightened up would do wonders for overall defensive rank.

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Probably has something to do with our youth and fresh legs.

13. theaesirsfinest

Definitely. As of Nov 30th, we ranked 24th in the league in defending transition situations (source: http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/news-and-notes-chasing-rabbits ). Yikes.

On the bright side, Lin's making better decisions on the defensive end too. He used to give up way too many points since he would overhelp when his man was one pass away, inevitably causing either a slow recovery to a jumper or forced rotations by our other players.

14. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

hahaha

15. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

why don't the coaches let Asik chase after layups and such?

i know he has problems with fouls and all in chicago, but let him go after shots more if he's not in foul trouble.

i've seen couple times where teams are getting uncontested layups and Asik doesn't want to challenge the shot because the coaches told him not to go after everything.

i saw Asik looked at the bench couple times like "do I just let them take the open layups and dunks? :confused:"

He DID blocked shots in the 4th quarters but just think of how much the team would be better if he doesn't shy away from challenging layups and dunks.

16. split41

split41 Member

Pace is one of the reasons rockets games are so good to watch!

17. MONON

MONON Member

I don't care what anybody says, that there's funny!:grin:

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Patience. Team individual and help defense and nailing the rotations take time to develop.

19. nomangame

nomangame Member

I feel you man.

20. Parpar2j

Parpar2j Member

i believe that Lin and Asik will move up in top 10