1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HDTV ANTENNA NOT WORKING

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Sep 30, 2004.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Been researching HDTV lately for over-the-air broadcasts (no need for CABLE or SATELLITE, only antenna needed). The HDTV threads here only talk about Cable or Satellite.

I have a Hitcachi 53" wide screen (16:9) and I purchased the TERK HDTV Antenna at WorstBuy yesterday. Thinking it would give me great reception for HDTV local channels, I plugged it up.

Checked "LOST" on ABC13 (13) and it was a great picture. Checked "NOVA" on PBS (8)and it was a great picture.
    Checked "That '70s show" on FOX (26) and the image sucked.
    Checked "One Tree Hill" on the WB (39) and the image sucked.
    Apparently, all channels above 13 sucked (yes, even Telenovelas on Univision). I tried desperately to move the UHF receptors in all manners and ways possible, and didn't get a good picture. The instruction manual said to go to a website to locate the best reception, but even that didn't help.

Has anyone faced similar problems? Should I call TERK Technologies? Should I buy a HUGE-o antenna and put it on my roof? Should I buy Head and Shoulders for this DANDRUFF problem I have? :confused: I am thinking of returning to WorstBuy to ask for a refund. That antenna is really bad on my tv. :(
    Past THREADS: HDTV receiver , HD 16:9 Programming , HDTV - holy crap!, HDTV Help, HDTV/BigScreen Question

2. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

I have HDTV at my house. This is the antenna I have

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384674089&productCategoryId=cat08081&type=product

I get all of the channels clearly though I can't get all of them without having to move the antenna to a position that best suits each channel. My HDTV receiver (yours may be built into the TV) has a setting which shows signal strength. If you have about 60% or above you should get a clear picture.

Also, make sure your TV is set for receiving either 1080i or 720p (true high def) and not just 420p.

3. SwoLy-D

Always good to get a lurker to respond. Yours is GPE (Greatest Post Ever) #4.

I don't have those settings, but I will look even closer. I have to, however, ask if your receiver is OUTSIDE your HDTV. Mine has a "built-in" tuner.

It's amazing, but I was thinking about buying the one you have, to make sure that it was not my TV. It's even the same price. I guess I need to have the antenna closer to the window, and it will clear my doubts.

Thanks. I will consider it.

If anyone else has something to add, please do so.

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I know this is not much help Swoly-D but Time Warners' HDTV programing rocks if you can't get your sitation resolved.

Good luck.

5. drapg

drapg Member

Terk is notorious for having an awful HDTV antenna.

I bought mine at Radio Shack and it works beautifully!

6. SwoLy-D

Yeah, but what brand and what model is it?

Radio Shack. You have questions. We have blank stares... :eek:
    jk -

7. drapg

drapg Member

This one

8. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I've got an antenna similar to the one drapg has and I get most of the channels without even having to move it around a lot. I would take that Terk back to Best Buy.

9. SwoLy-D

Will try this tonight or soon. I can't wait to see my TEXANS on HDTV. Thanks, dudes.

10. SwoLy-D

I tried the Radio Shack antenna you recommended, drapg, but unfortunately, I didn't get a good reception all over. I am wondering how you two guys are getting the reception I can't.

I guess I need a DECODER between my antenna and my TV, but it IS an HDTV monitor (capable of displaying the widescreen and HDTV reception).

Hitachi responded to an email I sent regarding the two antennas above, and they said I need the receiver. I guess I will wait until I can afford the HDTV receiver via the cable or satellite provider, if I can't get the expensive BestBuy HDTV Decoder and DVD Player they're selling.

BUMP.

Good resources for everyone:
    http://www.checkhd.com/
    and
    http://www.dtv.gov/

11. Sattle

Sattle Contributing Member

If your TV is just a HDTV Monitor, you will need a HDTV SetTop Decoder Box. Do you have cable or satellite? If your answer is yes, then you can purchase or rent one from them. You can use the box to get over the air HDTV.

It's either all or nothing with Over the air HDTV. If your getting a crummy picture, that means your not viewing HDTV, your viewing analog.

12. SwoLy-D

You didn't show a response for the "if your answer is NO". You only have an answer for YES. I was wondering about the "no", because that would be my answer... ;)

I saw REAL WIDESCREEN HDTV reception for the JETS vs. Dolphins' game on a widescreen plasma TV at BestBuy, and I fell in love with it... what we see now... and what we will see THEN...
    I mean, you could see who is behind the quarterback, but with regular TV, you only see the quarterback. AMAZING. I WANT IT! :(

13. Sattle

14. Sattle

Check out Avsforum.com for a discussion forum all about HDTV, Video Technology & more.

15. SwoLy-D

Yeah, I went there during my research in the initial post.

Beautiful. Thanks!!!! Now I now I can buy one of these and not have to shell out the money for cable. Either way, I will end up spending about 300 bucks. KUDOS.

Wonder what the non-refurbished one costs...? :confused:

16. drapg

drapg Member

You can get a good OTA HDTV STB at Wal-Mart for $199.99.

I bought it to use for 6 months until I get VOOM, and it works just fine!

17. SwoLy-D

Pardon my cable, satellite, or dish network ignorance, but... what is VOOM?

18. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

do you guys know if you can get knws 51 on HD?

me and my dad tried but we can't get that channel. is it not available or something? we can get almost every other channel (even upn) but no knws.

I want to watch my rocks in HD :(

EDIT: speaking bout off the air antenna HD

19. drapg

drapg Member

KNWS does not offer HD programming.

VOOM is a satellite HD service that offers over 25 channels of HD programming.

www.voom.com

If you have line of sight to the South in Houston, GET IT!!!!

(sadly, stupid trees block mine!)

20. edc

edc Contributing Member

(1) www.antennaweb.org

(2) If you can't or don't want/need to put up a real antenna, this is generally acknowledged as the best one:

http://www.zenith.com/sub_prod/product_Display.asp?cat=49&id=131

Don't be put-off by how cheap it looks, the reception is amazing for a "top of the set."

(3) KNWS does not broadcast any HD. They do have a digital simulcast of the SD signal. Looks much better than any other method of receiving their signal. Unfortunately they are broadcasting low-power, so the signal is very spotty.