1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Undrafted Free Agents...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ric_flair, Apr 28, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I derp'd. Meant Martin.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Jacoby was our #3 WR as a rookie, and David Anderson (1 game, 1 catch previously as a rookie) was the #4.

We've got at least 6 young WRs coming into camp, 5 rookies. It looks a lot like they're trying to get some new blood in the lineup, and I don't think they want to develop them on the practice squad.

Dipping into the waiver pool hasn't done the corps much good at all. They need to add some pop.

My guess is that Martin will be contributing off the bat as the new Jacoby/JJ Moses (PR plus slot in vertical passing situations), and that Posey will be brought along more slowly, behind Walter. Jones to practice squad unless he blows everyone's mind. Ditto for Jean.

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I like this guy's chances. If he were 23, I'd bet he would be a 3rd or 4th round draft pick (pretty high for a space-eating DT). He's 27, and he's had a bit of a circuitous route to this point (Mormon mission, Juco, 2 years at USC without playing football, finally 2 years at BYU). He's a short, stout, strong guy that could eat up some blocks and collapse pockets. With neither Cody nor Mitchell being studs there, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up starting.

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

"Houston, stand up. . . .Let's go"

Dwight Jones is already one of my fave. Texans. Andre Johnson 2.0 ! ....We haz it now. Superbowl bound, get out the way

5. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

That Dwight Jones interview was hilarious! I love this guy!

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I suspect Mitchell's spot is more tenuous. Cody did well.

7. right1

right1 Member

8. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Like to see if this mario louis can compete on the nfl level

Grambling State and he has only played football for two years. At his pro day he measured in at 6’0" and 195 pounds. He ran a 4.56 second 40-yard dash on what has been described as one of the slowest tracks around.

Head coach Doug Williams has called Louis the best NFL prospect he has ever coached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kGBy4pNSEgA

9. Granville

Granville Member

I was listening to the interview as it took place. D Jones isn't too bright. I hope he turns out to be a Superstar but a Rhodes Scholar he isn't.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

You're forgetting Andre Davis. We had Dre/Walter/Davis/Jacoby/DA. Jacoby had 3 receptions that year.

Without having seen any of these guys, my guess for the initial depth chart is Dre/Walter/(free agent)/Posey/Martin in that order with Jean/Jones or possibly both on p-squad. Knowing Kubiak and knowing that rookie WRs rarely produce right away just leads me to believe that. By mid-year we might see Posey or one of the others in a larger role. Everyone is excited about Martin, but I think he'll be very limited early on in the offense to reverses/screens.

EDIT: I also think, given Andre's inability to stay healthy for full seasons, that it's inevitable we'll sign a veteran. No way they chance having Walter and 3 or 4 rookies at WR.

BTW, here's a good candidate already that could be cheap and might even be an upgrade over Walter:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The Redskins have released WR Jabar Gaffney, per league source.</p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/197339372222291969" data-datetime="2012-05-01T14:59:07+00:00">May 1, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#90 DieHard Rocket, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Nah, the Texans aren't signing a receiver. They are capped strapped as it is. They will roll with Andre/Posey/Walter/Martin/D. Jones or Jean. I agree that Posey may start the season as WR3, but it depends on how he does in the preseason. He runs great routes, deceptively fast, and positions himself for the catch well, so you never know, he may start Week 1. Walter would be great in the slot anyway.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think Posey will start over Martin personally in the slot.

I expect the starters will be Andre and Walter and then they will use the rookies based on matchups. I expect Martin to get a lot of time on the field.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not talking about signing a guy to a multiyear deal full of guaranteed money. Just picking up a decent vet at some point. I'll wager $10 to the tipjar if there are any takers ... that we'll have at least one other veteran receiver (guy that has been in league 1 full season or more) besides Andre and Walter on the week one active roster. This is assuming Jacoby gets cut or traded.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I would love to have picked up someone like Gaffney and not worried about having to draft WR's in the draft. Flexibility -- best thing to have going into a draft.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think Martin's role will initially be the biggest of the rookies. I see Posey as the eventual starter and replacement for Walter, so that leaves a slot receiver available and Martin is perfect for that role. Quick, fast, nimble...exactly the kind of guy you give the ball to in space and let him do his work.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Can't wait to see dre/Posey/Martin on the field at the same time. Speed all over the field

17. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I expect that of the undrafted FAs, only the Fullback and some of the defensive players have more then an outside shot to make the team.

19. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Here's another Dwight Jones article:

http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/burning-55098-bright-person.html

I like his confidence, but the NFL has ways to humble a person like him.

20. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Here's a piece on Jonathan Grimes:

http://articles.philly.com/2012-05-06/sports/31598201_1_jonathan-grimes-nfl-draft-nfl-teams