1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happened to the discovery channel?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fchowd0311, Jan 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What happened to the discovery channel? I remember when I was in middle school, even high school, when they would have amazing documentaries on wildlife, space, history etc... It was stuff that a child with a curious mind loved to watch.

Now its 24 hour marathons of freakin american chopper, mythbusters, deadliest catch... None of this **** is educational or interesting to a curious mind. Reality tv shows ruined all these education channels like TLC, Discovery Channel, and the History Channel.

2. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Yep, it went downhill along with History Channel in the mid 00s.

But, Discovery HD Theater, History International, and National Geographic still air the quality programming of past and not the reality-based crap shows.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

seriously PBS FTW!

In between Nature, NOVA, Frontline, Globe Trekker and Austin City Limits, I'm set.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I agree with you -- even shark week is in the tank (pun, intended.) And I know what I'm talking about, for once.

I think you just have to follow the money. Who owns and who advertises with them. The "history" channel is worse than Discovery, IMHO.

5. fchowd0311

i need to order national geographic on my Dish. Apparently that's the only untainted educational channel.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Mythbusters is both awesome and educational. One of my favorite shows. And they still have stuff like Planet Earth and Life.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

NOVA and Frontline are truly the twin bombs of all non-dramatic TV.

8. fchowd0311

I love NOVA! Maybe its because it allowed our science teachers in middle school to let us watch tv instead of lectures all the time.

9. fchowd0311

its educational to a point but it seriously gets old when they re-air 20 times in a row.

10. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Get History International and Smithsonian Channel if possible too.

11. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

What about that one show with those two guys, who travel throughout the States in their van going to other peoples shacks and getting just down dirty so they can make some money?
    [​IMG]
    not the only thing they pick
    [​IMG]

12. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Its all about ratings. Same reason MTV stopped showing videos. Got to get that ad revenue. This topic reminds me of the dude that went on that shooting spree at the Discovery Channel building.

13. fchowd0311

I searched Hulu plus and they have NOVA!!! Score big time. Gonna pull an all nighter with this now.

14. rtsy

rtsy Member

My vote would go to Science Channel HD

Wonders of the Solar System and Through the Wormhole w/ Morgan Freeman, and Mutant Planet HD are my DVR programs. Nat Geo HD has Known Universe, Living in the Time of Jesus, Decoding Bible Relics, and shows like Inside the Taliban. Good stuff there too.

15. Apps

Apps Member

I feel the same way about the History Channel. I'm just waiting for their next pseudo-historical crap fest. Probably going to be something like "Ancient Aliens... and did the Nazis have something to do with it?!?!"

As others have mentioned, PBS is the way to go these days.

16. Chamillionaire

i like american chopper and deadliest catch. two of my favorite shows right there. educational, probably not. entertaining, definitely.

17. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

I didn't know American Chopper was still going. Have the Teutels not killed each other yet?

Mikey always seemed like a pretty cool dude.

18. worzel gummidge

Do you mean stuff like this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWB_COSUXMw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWB_COSUXMw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

19. fchowd0311

no more like

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/586JXUP2X5s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/586JXUP2X5s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

20. fchowd0311

these shows don't belong on a channel called "discovery" channel. Why not move them to a station like Spike tv?