1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Rockets red hot, but power forward position still a big question mark

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Play Kevin Durant as a stretch 4?

Oh wait...I'm way too ahead of myself.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, what will be sorted out first?

The Rockets PF situation or Rockets TV situation? :cool:

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

production values are terrific for such a niche podcast

appreciate how you respect the listener's time and just get right into it rather than joking around and kibitzing for the first five minutes like on many other podcasts

5. basketballholic

So Clutch is saying we should trade DMo/TJones and Greg Smith for Derrick Williams. I got it. ;)

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

PF struggles reminiscent of our multi-year struggle to find a center after Yao

7. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Agree on the production values. Really good.

Oh, and the content. That works too.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

---I was not sold (ranted it was Asik's first game so this is not a done deal). The early results, I didn't think they were even mixed but fairly poor. There were a few plays where I thought this will not work in long stretches. In the first quarter, Dwight bit hard on the driver and left Dirk wide open. He missed the shot but he was on an island. That's where I struggle with this. It's gonna be really effective at times in spot situations. We'll see two great tests coming up (SA/Memphis). In today's NBA, defensively is where the Rockets are going to have a hard time. Those are two great defensive anchors but when one goes out to cover a guy who spreads the floor, that's a tough thing to do.

---Everything has been overwhelmingly positive (in the preseason). There is one big takeaway(negative): we have learned the Rockets do not have a PF they're happy with. It's a hole right now. They have different options, guys they're trying. They're all spot situation players. Jones and Motiejunas are not ready. I thought Jones would take that position. Good one-on-one defensive skills, great athleticism, you feel like there is potential with his offensive game but he has a real problem with NBA defense(PnR/rotations). It hasn't come to him yet. He still has a lot to learn. Motiejunas is just not ready. Casspi is a good option but again, like the Asik situation, they can go small (like last year with Delfino) but I don't see tremendous success with that in long stretches.

---(Who are you starting right now?) I'm sticking with my call of Terrence Jones but so far that hasn't been the right call. It's too early to say. He'll give Asik another shot. I wasn't sold on the first go-around. I would say right now Casspi but I'm sticking with my Jones call.

---I would much rather be in this spot where you got four great or very good players at these other positions and you have a hole. It's much easier to fill a hole than it is to upgrade multiple positions. They're in a great spot. Morey will come up to bat soon. He signed Dwight, he can go on vacation for awhile. But now, he's gonna start getting to work. They have to make cuts. More than anything, we've talked about the Asik trade; it will happen but they have to be patient. I think you'll see Daryl try to make a move, maybe upgrade the PF spot. Nothing like Love or Aldridge but upgrading that spot somehow without losing Asik until that right trade comes around. I don't see right now a guy you can run there for 30-35 minutes a night.

---They had to dump all these PFs this summer to make things happen but here they are again, they've gone through so many PFs and don't have quite the answer yet. I think something will happen. Overall, this has been an extremely positive preseason. I was blown away when Rick Carlisle said this was the best team they faced in preseason.

---The Rockets should have blown the Mavs out last night. They have been really clicking, especially from long range. Harden is playing out of his mind. He's in mid-season form and ready for a breakout year. Dwight has had a few questionable games but I think he's shown he's there. Everything has been extremely positive from the offense.

---They had some minor issues, we talked about post-entry passes, I did see some issues with Dwight trying to seal off his guy a couple times. It's not always the post-entry pass. I know Casspi struggled one game. 4 or 5 times he couldn't get Dwight the ball on what you'd think is a simple post-entry pass.

---I want to point as well, Francisco Garcia has really impressed me. He picked up where he left off last year. I watched him in pre-game. He's automatic in warm-ups from distance and translated that to games. He is probably loving this role (off Howard or Asik) and maybe didn't have that in Sacramento. You mentioned Lin, I think he has had a very good preseason. That's another big issue. We've talked about it off Carl Fudge's article early on that we expected that whether they struggle or whatever, we could see Beverley slip into the starting role. This soon, that was a shock. That's been a big issue this preseason as well.

---We talked about the gaping hole at PF but their backcourt is playing extremely well. You have great depth there. You've got Asik and Howard at center. Whether you go Garcia/Casspi backing up Parsons, you're looking deep at all those positions except the one hole at PF. What I've seen so far, it really doesn't matter. Whether Lin or Beverley starts, they're both playing well. If you're going to nitpick, I think Beverley has outplayed him a little bit. It's so close. Beverley's raw +/- has been through the roof. +58 in about 123 minutes. Lin +15 in 110 minutes spread out over 4 games; Beverley 5. He has an immediate impact. Jose Calderson was lighting it up early on against Lin. Beverley came in, I thought he changed the game. Came in, scored a couple of baskets quickly. He has that ability. Whether he comes off the bench or starts, irrelevant. If you were to say it was a flat out open competition, I'd probably say Beverley is leading right now.

---We talked about cuts as well. Right now, it's not looking that tough if Marcus Camby is to retire or some decision with him. He has this injury, hasn't been able to do anything. He has to make a decision soon. Camby controls whether this is an easy or tough decision. I think Reggie Williams is that second guy.

---We know Howard, Parsons, Harden, Lin, Beverley, Asik, Garcia, Casspi, that's 8 already in the rotation. It would take something drastic to shift that. McHale said he wants 9-10. That's very rare. When you have Garcia and Casspi playing well, Williams is the odd man out. They'll probably keep Brewer for defense. If Camby makes the 2nd cut an easy decision, then you go with that. If not, I go back to my original theory of trading Greg Smith.

---(Talked about GM survey) Encouraging to see that many giving Harden the nod at SG. If the Rockets don't disappoint this year, Morey should win Executive of the year. He should have been higher last year but this year, I think he's got it.

---If it wasn't Jalen Rose, I would not have given it the slightest bit of attention. Jalen Rose talks to a lot of players; knows a lot of the dirt. The question I have is, did Kevin Durant say something? Does he have legit info that Durant is interested in Houston? It's extremely unlikely. 3 years in the NBA is an eternity. If you want to upset Chandler Parsons right now, obviously Durant is Durant, you go for him. Ironically, Dan Fegan was in the locker room Monday hanging out with Chandler, going somewhere after the game. It's extremely unlikely.

---I still lean towards Jalen throwing that out there. He threw those connections together. He leaned heavily on that and was pure speculation.

2 people like this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Thanks Clutch, should sticky these, almost missed it.

Twin towers:

I'm not too concerned with this lineup. Yes, they looked awful last game, but it was against Dirk and their first time running it. I think this will be a situational lineup that we run at most 10-15 minutes a game, closer to 10. Obviously we won't use it against other team's stretch 4s in the regular season, since that would play right into our strengths of going small ball.

One thing is for sure, this is not your starting lineup. What you want at the start of the game is to establish your style of play, your strengths. For anyone who has watch any amount of Dwight in the past, they know that's 4 out 1 in. Not a good idea to put one of your best players in a position he is uncomfortable with right out of the gate. And twin towers is certainly not our style nor strength.

Starting PF:

More of a last man standing, and you guys are spot on that neither Dmo nor Jones is remotely ready. And like we already said, Asik is not ideal and deviates from our strengths.

It's Casspi and no one else. He has the size and has shown better rebounding compared to Delfino. And what Delfino lacked was a weakside shotblocker to help him out when we went small.(Asik is a positional defender) Dwight's strengths make small ball a much easier pill to swallow.

In the end, I don't think it matters much either because Casspi isn't the long term answer. Agreed that Asik will be traded eventually, and I don't see how he doesn't get traded for Millsap. Makes way too much sense for both parties to not happen.

Posted this multiple times: Asik + Jones + Dmo for Milsap + Ayon and sign Jason Collins as your 3rd C

Write it down, put it in your sig. It's going to happen. And it makes the Rockets the favorites to win the west. And a great, great chance to win it all, THIS year.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Asik+Jones+Motie is too much for Milsap.

Why don't we just trade that for Horford.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Ayon is also a solid backup C, and maybe Atl includes a pick, or maybe we keep 1 of Dmo/Jones. But anyways:

1. Because they aren't trading Horford.

2. You are going to laugh, Millsap is better than Horford. Hawks obviously don't agree with that, but then again the Hawks liked Marvin Williams over CP3 and Deron Williams. The analytics community loves Millsap, and Dork Elvis drives that bus. Whether any of this is right or wrong is irrelevant though, because: refer to 1.

#11 CXbby, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  12. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets have a starting PF in Parsons.

Lin+Asik+Jones for Gordon Hayward & Rudy Gobert

Hayward & Parsons are capable of guarding the Kobes & KDs one on one. Pair them together maybe even LeBron can be guarded.

Gobert could end up a bust. If he is one at least he'll be a sensational athletic 7-2 bust.

Bev, Brooks, Canaan
    Harden, Garcia, Brewer
    Hayward, Casspi, Covington
    Parsons, Motiejunas
    Howard, Smith, Gobert

13. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

i thought Jones looked good at PF. He brings more to the table, especially weak side help on defense. He can block shots.

14. Sanity2disChaos

Would you trade Asik to the Celtics for Olnyk and a First round pick (top 3 protected) ......

Add jones from rockets and Lee from celts....

Very deep draft....celts will struggle and are easily a lottery team....?This

15. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Olnyk is not who we need.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

There were 5 great posts all rolled into one. I am in awe. Paraphrasing what you said, the Rockets have two of the best players at their position in the NBA, and are very good at the two other positions. The Rockets need so little from the PF position, and perhaps primary of those needs is little financial cost. Every shot taken by the PF is one less shot for Harden, Howard, Parsons ... Anyway thank you for all of the time you put into that post.

17. Sanity2disChaos

Shows what you know..:rolleyes:.the pick is the treasure...olnyk is the sweetener. The kid is better than if not equal to jones and Dmo....

18. eman

eman Contributing Member

I think he would be a great stretch PF for us. That boy looks like the ROY.

19. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

1. I agree, Horford is their centerpiece in Atlanta, we might as well be trying to get Lebron.

2. If we're going to be trading for a 6'-7" PF w/ a jumpshot and no post moves, then we might as well just use Parsons or Casspi at PF and save us a trade. Size matters in the NBA, especially up front. That's why most championship teams typically have a 7-footer at the 4 position.

20. SunsRocketsfan

asik + beverly + tjones or dmo take your pic for LMA. Salaries work out too according to ESPN's trade machien.. get it done morey.