1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Potential trade targets include Nene, Granger

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

3. mario_v

mario_v Member

That's a good read, Clutch. Hope we can land Nene, we'll make the playoffs with him for sure.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I just hope we clear out a ton of dead wood....quick. This year has somehow been tougher on me than last year, despite McCancer being gone.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Awesome, thanks for the info Clutch!

I like Granger and Nene both...but I have a hard time seeing a deal where either would drastically change the outlook of this team. Best case scenario, it's a Pistons lite model. Part of what made the Pistons so tough was their fierce defense to go with a set of good but not individually great offensive players. Mixing in Granger and/or Nene to a team with Scola and Martin is likely better than that Detroit team offensively, but nowhere near its equal on defense.

It's a shame...back when we first put together T-Mac and Yao, we couldn't pull together a group of half decent depth to surround them. Now, we've got all the quality #3-5 options we can fathom, and even a guy I'd say can be a #2 in Martin, but we can't get the ace.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent read! Do you get the sense that talks are heating up, and who we might be offering? And can we get both?? ;)

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Love to have Nene in the middle but knowing Morey, dude is going after Granger. Provides the type of player that can complement Martin and Scola nicely. If you can add Granger and also pickup a Dalembert on the cheap...business would pick up!

8. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Nice intro. Good read. Picking up either of those two would surpass my expectations of what we'll look like after the deadline.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not a fan of crossing your fingers and hoping you land a Lebron/Durant/Griffin whatever type player in the draft, so would be happy to somehow keep Scola, Marting and Lowry while adding Nene and Granger. That becomes a formidable, balanced lineup.

But, I don't think it really addresses the "franchise player" issue. It turns you into a Detroit Pistons like championship team. Which again, is light years better than what they've currently got... and there isn't exactly any true star players to be had.

It's a tough spot for Morey for sure. You'd be locked into both Martin and Granger at $12 million + for another few years. Nene will likely opt into his $11 million next year, and then you'd have very limited cap flexibility going forward when adding Scola and Lowry's contracts (and the new CBA). And to accomplish the above you likely give up some of your younger talent (AB, Bud, Hill, Patterson), expiring trade chips (Yao, Battier, Jeffries) and draft picks. So can you improve beyond those moves?

#9 JayZ750, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  10. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Guess the cat's out. I'm just ready for the Melo domino to fall.

Nene and/or Granger would be a great addition.

11. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Who are you trading to get both?

12. Raven

Raven Member

Nene and Granger won't get us closer to the Finals, nor will they be able to recruit the type of players who can.

1 person likes this.
  13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Thanks for posting, Clutch.

It's definitely great to get a nice feel for what kind of deals Morey is leaning towards. I know a lot can happen between now and then (both expected and unexpected), but this definitely helps get a feel for the type of direction they have in mind.

14. worzel gummidge

Pacers are currently 8th in the East.

Top 8 seed + Larry Bird in last year of his contract = Bird looking to add pieces for a playoff push.

1 person likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

?? I guess that's Morey's job.

But, these would work:

Jeffries, Hayes, AB plus picks/filler to Denver for Nene. Salary dump move plus picking up options to resign two players who could be useful (AB, Hayes) and draft picks.

Battier, Budinger, Hill, Patterson plus picks/filler to Indiana for Granger, Jones. Again, salary dump move for Indiana plus 3 young players and picks/filler. They also get rid of Dahntay Jones, who isn't very useful and has another year left on his contract.

The Rockets lineup becomes:

Lowry/Ish
    Martin/Lee/Jones
    Granger/?? (T. Williams, Lee, Jones)
    Scola/??
    Nene/Miller

Definitely created some roster holes, but then you still have Yao's expiring to trade if you need to. Perhaps you could swing something like Yao for Jamison, Leon Powe from the Cavs as a pure salary dump move for them. Not saying this is what you'd want to do, and it would put you in salary cap hell for 2 years, but if you're going to try and go for it, you never know.

Then you'd have:

Lowry/Ish
    Martin/Lee/Jones
    Granger/Jamison (T. Williams)
    Scola/Jamison/Powe
    Nene/B. Miller

i just pulled all of the above out of thin air, mind you...not a lot of serious thought, but who knows...?

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they would both fit well on the Rockets.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Thanks clutch, finally something not just thrown against the wall.

Both players make the team better if the Rockets don't have to trade away the bulk of their core IMO. If the Rockets are shipping out say, Brooks, Scola Battier, Hill and or Pat plus picks (hypothetical of course) I'm not sure it makes the team any better.

The trade deadline can't get here fast enough.

19. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

How good or bad is Granger's D?

20. jjc1

jjc1 Member

Thanks Clutch! I think we have a better chance getting Nene. Indiana just got the 8th seed back in the East and are playing well under the new coach. They will have a hard time telling their fans that they are trading their only all star Granger.