1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Vids]Off-Season Press Conf. (Les, Morey, Yao)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, May 19, 2009.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

2. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

Les doesn't seem like a people's person...

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Awesome! Thanks!

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Les talked to Yao first after the game. Haha. It's Les and Yao running the show, folks.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Morey "He [Tmac] is still a part of the team. We need him back to help us asap" with a disgusted look. :D

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Would someone be kind enough to list the questions? I can't understand it because all he gives are answers :(

7. dlite316

dlite316 Member

thank you for the videos...awesome...

8. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I am rather surprise Coach Rick Adelman is not invited.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

From Morey's press conference.

Regarding backup C:

Q: Priority for a backup C

A: just to have the option, defensively, we need an athletic 7-footer to counter some of the teams. whether that becomes a major piece or just an option for the coaches, that will depend on the player. By the CBA, we have a limited amount of money available to do that via free agency, so we can't address everything. but, some way, we're going to have an athletic 7-footer. but, we're not going to sign someone who's 7 feet just because he's 7-feet. I think a lot of teams make that mistakes. if player a guy just because he's 7-feet, it would be better to play small, play up tempo, have a shock unit as your second unit, versus just having a guy who happens to be 7-feet. we'll never do that. If we can find a 7-footer who can contribute, then we'll invest some resources to it. and if we can't, we'll go small and beat people that way. you saw how successful that was, we were 2-2 against the Lakers (probably best team in the league). so, when Yao is out, we feel we can change how we play. But if there happens to be a 7-footer that helps us, we'll do it though.

Taken literally, he's sort of contradicting himself. Reading between the lines, they'll look to bring in an athletic 7-footer for matchups, but they feel they can still play at a high level going small when Yao isn't on the floor. They're not going to play a 7-footer who's a stiff just to have a 7-footer.

Also a question on Dorsey, which sort of ties in to the backup C question:

Q: Where does Joey Dorsey fit in

A: he's not someone in the plan because obviously he's someone who hasn't contributed. he's struggled with injuries to both feet. for you a young player like him, sometimes that's hard to handle mentally. i don't think he handled it well. i think he needs to get stronger mentally. he's got to prove things to us that he can contribute, and so going into this offseason i see his upside the same upside when we drafted him. we think he can be part of a pretty unique up-tempo unit. he's a defensive force as a team defender, he can get out in transition. all the reasons we drafted him are still htere. but he hasn't done anything in the NBA. so there's no way I'm going into next season thinking joey is going to give us something. he's got to give us something first. skill-wise, he's like von. we feel he's like the future of how bigs could look. but having the athletic ability, that does me nothing. he's got to show he has the commitment to get out there and be focused and help us.

The Rockets still seem high on Dorsey's physical skills and raw talent. From what Morey says here, the reason he's not so high on their list any more is because he's shown immaturity, and mentally did not deal well with his foot problems. He doesn't seem optimistic that Dorsey will turn it around.

12. subzor

subzor Member

yao's interview hilarious

13. fogo11606

fogo11606 Member

Les sounds like he's all about money. Does he know anything outside of his business? :rolleyes:

14. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Morey on Dorsey:
    "...we feel he's like the future of how bigs could look."

Ouuuch

15. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

lol. I saw that too.

The fact the Les Alexander said that only Yao is untouchable shows that his love affair with Tmac is officially over. I was also encouraged by the fact the Les is willing to go over the luxary tax if it's for a special player. Les realizes that we are a few pieces away from a championship, and since Yao isn't getting any younger, we need to get this thing rolling before it's too late. The money that Yao brings in more than compensates for any money that is over the tax threshold.

Also, on the news tonight Adelman talked about running more in the offense next season but that requires players that are going to do that. Tmac does not like to move without the ball and he definately does not like to run. When he was playing, he wasn't buying into the offense and complained about not getting the ball alot. I just don't see Tmac as part of the Rockets' future plans.

As far as Joey Dorsey is concerned, if he doesn't work out, they need to talk to Memphis and try to get something for him. They LOVE him there.

16. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Interesting what Daryl said about Dorsey. Said without hesitation that he needs to get stronger mentally. I like Dorsey and his upside, but Mr. Morey did not seem encouraged with his progress.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I feel like I'm missing something obvious - why is that a bad thing?

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

No surprise about Morey's comments on Dorsey. I truly believe that drafting him is one move Morey wishes he could get a do-over on. He really was a complete bust.

I really didn't notice any unusual expression when he was talking about T-Mac -- pretty much no different from when he was talking about Yao, which seemed more like he was a little impatient with reporters asking him the same old questions they ask him everyday he's on air. His answer was pretty much what we already know: they don't know when T-Mac will return to the court or how effective he will be, so they have to be prepared for the possibility that he won't be available so that if he does recover in time to contribute, whatever he gives the team is just extra cream on the top. As far as personnel moves/free agency/trades go, anything can happen with anyone (except Yao).

The only other significant thing I gleaned from the presser was that anyone who thinks that there is actually a chance that the Rockets will get rid of Yao needs to put down the pipe ASAP. BOTH Les and Morey pretty much made it clear that Yao is the franchise and their #1 priority. Les talked about reducing Yao's minutes (although he admitted that he doesn't know if that will reduce the chances of injury or not), and Morey basically said they're already discussing a contract extension with Yao but it's going to remain private until the deal is official.

19. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Just FYI, for the non-Chinese speakers, there was a brief moment in the interview when he was asked something in Chinese. Yao was asked what sort of things did the team learn and he essentially answered patience and felt the team made less mistakes related to impatience.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

ItsMyFault, I find no fault in this thread. Thanks for the rare type videos.