1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it impossible to rip Redbox DVDs??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, Aug 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

I have a nice DVD ripping program and rented a Redbox movie tonight (via my good friends in the RedBox thread) and got home to rip it to my PC so I can watch it some other time, and my program freeeezes everytime I try it. Are the DVD's hardcoded with some crap?????

2. Landlord Landry

it's possible, but why worry about ripping it when you can just download a smooth AVI file?

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

b/c downloading is illegal!

4. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Cause it takes forever downloading. the upgraded DSL internet isnt available in my area so Im stuck with the basic DSL.

5. JD2010

JD2010 Member

Hmm that's weird, I have a friend that goes to my school who rips red box dvd's all the time and sells the copies.

6. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

You probably aren't using the correct software. DVD Decrypter will sometimes freeze as will DVD Shrink. Use DVD Fab copy.

7. Nero

Nero Member

Your problem is nothing to do with Redbox, and everything to do with the fact that the publishers of the DVDs are constantly tweaking and modifying their anti-piracy protocols. Every new disc which comes out could very well have a new copy-protection scheme on it that was not on any other disc yesterday.

Therefore, what works today, may not work tomorrow.

The only real solution is to buy your software from a company that offers constant updates in perpetuity for you.

You will have to pay for this, but it's well worth it, if you have kids who like to watch DVDs, you like to travel with some DVDs, or you just don't want to risk your original discs by constantly using them, and would prefer to operate from legitimate backups.

Ahem.

Anyway, the program you want is from Slysoft, and actually uses two programs - AnyDVD and CloneDVD. Also, if you want to rip a movie down to some kind of a portable device, then you will want CloneDVDMobile as well.

Absolutely well worth the one-time cost.

Also, your DVD-burning drive matters. One of these cheap no-name drives can have a lot harder time than something really solid like a Plextor or a Pioneer.

Hope this helps.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

as is ripping a DVD you don't own....

9. Landlord Landry

says who? torrent files aren't copyrighted. It's just impossible to copyright a series of numerical sequences. Ripping a rented DVD is far more illegal than downloading a bunch of numbers.

10. Nero

Nero Member

Wow.

Um, just a bit of advice.. if you ever get tagged and charged with piracy, ummm don't defend yourself, whatever you do. Get a good lawyer, someone who actually knows a little bit about the law.

For the record, you are exactly and dangerously wrong on every thing you think you know in your post.

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Let me know if that holds up in court.

12. lpbman

lpbman Member

Along the same lines of thinking...

Why is it illegal to decrypt a satellite signal?

I mean, how is that different than looking at the moon with a telescope? EM is EM and the government can tell me which part of the spectrum I can look at, and how?

I understand if you're running a cable from your neighbors house, but light that is broadcast to my property?

13. Nero

Nero Member

Blame yuor local representative for that, thanks to the DMCA.

That piece of crap legislation is so broad, it literally criminalizes ANY attempt to decode ANY 'encrypted' bit of information.

Literally, therefore, if I were to write a sentence in pig-latin and you attempted to decipher it, you would be breaking this ridiculous stupid law.

14. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

*agrees with Nero 100%*

15. mulletman

mulletman Member

the only time those two programs freeze for me is when i try them on redbox dvds...

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

aren't you the same guy who steals gas?

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

*Also agrees with Nero 100%*

first time for everything.... ;)

18. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Playa, it's all about that DVD Shrink and/or Dvd Decrypter + Auto GK. Ya savvy?

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I think you are thinking of JD.

20. Landlord Landry

in court? ha. sure.

maybe they will also bust me for playing online poker, or hiring 2 illegal aliens from the home depot parking lot to help me move. I ripped a tag off of my friends pillow once, I wasn't the lawful owner of that pillow.

so your telling me that all these torrent files are copyrighted? how can you copyright these 160 bit hash values? Since there is an infinite number of possible files that would produce the same hashes, would they also be violated by copyright infringment? it's literally impossible. Besides, TPB doesn't keep records of it's members download data. Thats probably why you need a separate torrent client to download the file. any monkey can spend 5-10 minutes on google and figure out how to hide his IP while DL files anyway.

ever heard of oink.cd? I was a member there and am currently a member of waffles.fm

do some research man.