1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Taking a look at Omer Asik Trade Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Thanks for breaking down the cap situation for Asik/Lin!

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Great!!! 30 minutes of being non-productive at work. Thanks Clutchfans!

lol

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sweet. Good podcast.

Rep for the time value of money reference. The School of Salamanca lives on!

6. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I like the format of just Clutch and Bima. The other people who were part of the podcast in the past were subpar and took away from things.

7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Ersan or Millsap are IMO better fits for this team. We have a big problem defensive rebounding (Dwight going for blocks, setting up offensive rebounds). Ersan is an outstanding rebounder and can shoot 3s. Millsap gives you a bit of everything.

8. skyline07

skyline07 Member

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Also, Bima is right: you gotta give the people what they want.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pau Gasol - A big contract, can slide over and play C, ideal fit. Thoughts on how that could work?

Bima: I love his game. Unfortunately, the only way to make a feasible Gasol trade is to include both Lin and Asik. No other way to do it without it becoming a large(8 Rockets player) trade. The only feasible way is Lin and Asik. The way Lin is playing, I don't see them making that trade. The sheer size of the contract makes it difficult.

Same for Chris Bosh? I dismiss it outright but it is a speculative proposal thrown out by fans. Contract wise, it's similar?

Bima: Yeah, you'd have to trade Asik and Lin. That's not to say the Rockets wouldn't do that but you are giving up a lot of firepower to make a trade like that. Between the structure of a trade and the fact Miami is coming off back to back titles, they're not aching to break up that core. Those are a couple of roadblocks.

A curveball is Rajon Rondo. That is a team that McHale and Morey have a good relationship with. Ideal textbook situation that they have a star player they probably want to flip for rebuilding assets. I'm not sure about his fit. Not a 3 pt shooter, defensive guard, almost seems like an upgraded Beverley as opposed to Lin replacement yet it would cost you Lin and Asik to start. Thoughts on Rondo?

Bima: I agree with you. Star power, absolutely he is better than Asik or Lin. Probably the best defensive PG in the league, him or Chris Paul. He's a stud but his skill set doesn't necessarily fit with the Rockets. Terrible shooter and needs to dominate the ball to be effective. Not a good fit next to Harden. And from what I read, not the greatest guy in the locker room. It doesn't seem to be a fit.

First round pick option (similar to the Lowry situation)?

I doubt we could get a pick similar to the one the Rockets got for Lowry because of the draft we're talking about. ... I don't think there is any team that will give you a first round pick without at least lottery protection. You could find a couple teams teetering on the outside of the playoffs. One team that was a good fit was Washington. There were issues with protection and the Wizards would have had to trade Okafor. I don't think the Rockets had any interest in Okafor's contract.

Paul Millsap, Ryan Anderson, and Ersan Ilyasova. Thoughts on how those guys would fit?

Anderson, he fits very well with what the Rockets want to do. Elite 3 pt shooting who can also rebound and defend a little bit. Ilyasova is a similar player. Good 3 pt shooter, good rebounder but that would probably have to be a 3 team trade. All of the players out there, the one that would appear to make most sense is Millsap. He's apparently an analytics darling. Good all around player, good-not-great defender, good rebounder, I think his 3 pt shooting is underrated. I think he could become decent (3 pt shooter). Contractually, it's a good fit too. You could do a one-for-one swap. The length of the contract is the same. Depending on what they do with Parsons, they could have a boatload of cap room in 2015 when Lin and Asik or Millsap's contracts come off the books, Parsons hits FA, Beverley hits FA but their cap holds are so minuscule you could keep them on the books. That may be figuring into the Rockets thinking when deciding who they want to trade Asik for.

Do the Rockets have max cap in 2015?

So much depends on league revenue the next couple of years. If it stays on the current track, they'll probably have max or near max. They could have $15-17 million in cap room. Is it Kobe Bryant or LeBron money? No. But if an Aldridge or Love want to take a 2010 Miami Heat discount to join the Rockets.

MORE PODCASTS! GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!

:grin:

2 people like this.
  11. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

JR rocks again!

12. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I like the Milsap trade as well. The funny thing is as much as I'm a fan of advanced stats, every single time(about 5-6 times in last few years) I watch his game I'm more or less disappointed. He must be tearing it up in the games I didn't watch.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wooohoo - love these things - good job !

Anyone trading for them gets their bird rights though, right?

This should be stickied so it stays above the general chaff.

DD

#13 DaDakota, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

@haoafu: same here bro...Millsap is a so so player whenever i watched him

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Great job.

16. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Either Paul Millsap or Ryan Anderson is fine for me if we trade Asik. The Lin name should be removed from the trade talk right now, he is a MVP on the team now, he still has the room to improve his game, why do we want to remove him?

17. Mr Chuck Norris

that podcast got me excited

2015...We might have room for 1 more MAX player......Jalen thinks Kevin Durant will come to houston........Hmmmmmmm

18. Mr Chuck Norris

I think Morey is pushing for Durant

19. basketballholic

Not a single mention of the possibility of trading for a backup 5 and a starting 4 at the same time?????? And speculating on what combo of 4/5 we could get?????? Just Asik straight up for Millsap, Ilyasova, Ryan Anderson????

20. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Trade Asik for Millsap sounds ideal imo, we can easily use the MLA to find a backup C could be Camby when he comes back or Okafor