1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] By Declining Garcia, Rockets Keeping All Options Open

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, May 14, 2013.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Thanks bima, interesting stuff.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Sweet.

We're always positioned so well.

Morey manages our financial situation very well.

5. Commodore

what is the thinking when they crafted the CBA behind providing an incentive (MLE and BAE) to go over the cap?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nicely written, let's hope Morey can take advantage of his unique flexibility.

DD

7. Commodore

question, can the MLE/BAE be used to craft the one-year guaranteed deals Morey talked about last week on the radio?

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Weird. By declining Jessica yesterday, I'm keeping all my options open, too.

9. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Garcia was big for us, hes a keeper.

10. basketballholic

yeah, great stuff indeed.

11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i didnt wanna keep him but he could've been very useful in a big trade since his salary is expiring at 6.4m next season. we need a starting pf

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

So is this addition by subtraction?:grin:
    Thank Bima!!

13. Pete the Cheat

Thanks as always Bima.
    So even if we were to make $17MM available in cap space based on your max space clearing scenario... that still would not be enough to sign Howard outright based on the max he would be due.

14. basketballholic

We are downplaying this right now but it could become huge later on. If Dwight commits to us, I suspect LAL is going to want to try to get something for him even if it just Smith and TRob.

If we can stay above the cap, we can sign another guy to the full MLE with either just the first year guaranteed and then the subsequent years non-guaranteed, or we can break the MLE up into a couple value plays for good vets on the cheap. That MLE could come in very handy if the opportunity presents itself to add a 3rd superstar during the season next year or the following year.

15. basketballholic

I am still waiting to see if we actually waive Brooks. $2.5 million on a 1-yr deal. I would think we could easily trade him away for nothing if need be. I actually think he's got trade value.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thank you, Sir BT. You may know more of this than I. May. OK, do. By a lot. So, thank you for sharing your knowledge and with elegant eloquence.

17. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

How does Bima not have Hakeem status around here? Thanks again, for all your hard work.

18. rocketblood713

So has anyone heard about the Clippers going after Dwight Howard ???

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not enough puns or ragging on Robinson's layups.

1 person likes this.
  20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

These salary cap exceptions were created a couple of CBAs ago as a concession to the players union. Otherwise, the league was likely to become a system of max contract "haves" and a vast number of minimum-salaried "have nots". If they weren't made salary cap EXCEPTIONS, teams likely would not have opted to spend their money on these mid-level players that way.

Not exactly sure what you're referring to, but yes, teams could offer a one-year, $5.15 million contract using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception and then use that player in trades the next year or use the player's Non-Bird rights to use him in sign-and-trade deals.

As I've mentioned numerous times, the Rockets can create the necessary cap room to sign Dwight Howard by simply making a few minor moves. Nothing in this article should contradict that. The article simply points out that the Rockets have the ABILITY to go the other direction, if they so choose, in the event that they fail to get someone like Dwight or CP3.

Just to be clear, the Rockets cannot BOTH (a) sign a player with the MLE AND (b) do a sign-and-trade for Dwight Howard outside of the salary-matching parameters for a trade that size (125% plus $100k). To sign-and-trade for Dwight at the super-max salary he'll command while keeping the MLE, the Rockets would need to trade away at least $16.3 million in existing salaries to the Lakers. I doubt either team wants to do that. Hence, I doubt there is a scenario in which the Rockets add both Dwight and an MLE player (unless they use the smaller Room Exception).

2 people like this.