1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Chron] Lowry Glad to be Back in Houston, if only for a game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 26, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/11/lowry-glad-to-be-back-in-houston-if-only-for-a-game/

[rquoter]
    For one happy afternoon, Kyle Lowry was like most other Houston sports fans, except rather than watching the Texans on his flat screen, he was there at Ford Field, cheering and tweeting and offering no sign of professional athlete impartiality.

Lowry had left Houston, sent by the team in July to the Toronto Raptors to acquire the first-round pick it would later flip to get James Harden. But part of Lowry still considered Houston home. And given how proudly he has long carried his affection for his original hometown of Philadelphia that was saying a lot.

“I love Houston,” Lowry said before returning for tonight’s first meeting with the Rockets since the trade. “I love the people there. I love the city. They really accepted me as a man and as a player. It will always be my home away from home no matter where I am.”

As he looked ahead to the reunion and back on the three-and-a-half seasons he spent with the Rockets, he thought not of his frustrating last season marked by discord and illness or the late season collapse that prevented a return to the playoffs. He thought instead of good times and personal achievement as he went from a solid backup to a respected backcourt force.

“That’s why I think it will always be a special place for me,” Lowry said. “I started playing well in Houston. The city and organization gave me the opportunity to do things. It will always have a special place in my heart.”

Lowry said he did not take the trade personally any more than he objected to being traded to Houston from Memphis, where he will play Wednesday in the next step of his reunion tour. His former teammates, however, expected to see him at his most aggressive, his most determined.

“He’s going to be coming at us,” Chandler Parsons said. “Knowing him, he’s going to want to have a good game. He’s been playing really well this season, too. It’s going to be a big challenge to have a guy with his mindset and his ability coming in here wanting to play really well.”

Lowry is averaging a career high 18.3 points to go with 6.1 assists in his eight games with the Raptors. He missed six games after spraining his right ankle. He said he is still working his way back, but has been more frustrated by the Raptors’ run of narrow, often agonizing defeats, including Sunday’s double-overtime loss to the Spurs to drop to 3-11.

“We have talent,” Lowry said. “We have to put it together. If we can get a three-game, four-game streak, we’ll get to .500 by the break. We have to keep playing and get over that hump to win these games.”

With that in mind, Raptors coach Dwane Casey – a finalist for the position in Houston in 2011 – has leaned on Lowry to lead his young team.

“At times, like most young teams, the first time something goes wrong, the first thing that goes down are your shoulders,” Casey told the Toronto media last week. “You don’t see that with Kyle. Kyle is always up, always saying ‘come on, it’s a close game.’ We need that. We’ve got to have that from Kyle.

“He’s been a pitbull. He’s given the rest of the players a swagger. He kind of identifies how we want be: tough, a little grimy and that’s what he’s added to our team. That’s his personality. “We’ve heard that from other coaches. Talking to Lionel (Hollins, who coached Lowry in Memphis), Kevin (McHale) in Houston, that’s just his leadership. He’s one of those guys who’s like a Pied Piper in those situations.”

Lowry had been open about his disagreements with Rockets coach McHale last season. Knowing this, Casey has sought to make Lowry a partner in guiding the Raptors’ rebuilding.

“We have a great rapport to try to make the team better,” Lowry said. “People say that me and coaches never got along, but I only had a few coaches. I think he’s a guy that wants to say we worked together. That stigma, he wants to break that and I’m with him.”

There was a time he had the same role with the Rockets. Patrick Patterson spoke of copying Lowry’s arrive-early work habits. Jeremy Lin praised him as underrated and said “There wasn’t one thing he couldn’t do.”

They also expected that the competitor they knew would want to hit them with everything he had.

“I’m anxious to see how hard he’s going to play,” Patterson said. “When he was with us, his motor was running 24/7. Kyle loved being here in Houston. He loves us on this team, me, Chandler and Marcus (Morris), the guys he knows.”

That much has not changed, Lowry said. The Texans are not the only Houston team that stirs his emotions.

“It was a decision the Rockets made,” Lowry said. “I never took it personally. It’s just a game, but I am excited to come back.”
    [/rquoter]

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I've only Had 4 favorite players...

Hakeem Olajuwon
    Dwyane Wade*
    Chuck Hayes
    Kyle Lowry

3. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

I miss him..

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Bring back lowry!! if at all possible, lol.

5. clutz

clutz Member

So we know Lowry's going to exceed his season average of 18.3 PPG tomorrow night -- but by how much?

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

I love Lowry. He hustled every single play. He was my favorite player on the team even when he was backing up Aaron Brooks.

7. clutz

clutz Member

I love how he used to drive repeatedly to the hoop like a maniac, partly because he had no (in game) outside shot at the time, but also because his usage rate was lower.

8. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I was so upset when Morey traded Rafer for Lowry and Brian Cook... I'm an idiot. I wonder if he has gone back to the Breakfast Klub yet?

1 person likes this.
  9. roxxy

roxxy Member

Lowry is going to memphis right after also. It is the Lowry tour over the next three days.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You weren't the only one. I still remember the comments: "We Traded Rafer for a backup!?"

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Might be too early for him to say all that....he could easily spend 7 yrs in Toronto and that'll become his home away from home.

He's going to hound the fck out of Lin though...I hope he's ready.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I would have been upset, except I was at a preseason game where Lowry dropped a triple double on us. I knew right then that the dude could ball.

I was pretty excited about that trade.

Brooks / Lowry was such a dynamic back-court 2 years ago.

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Really? I couldn't have been happier. For the sole reason that Rafer was finally off the team. I didn't care if they traded him for a package of Pringles.

But it turned out great b/c Lowry ended up being an amazing player for us.

14. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

I miss the toughness, heart and hustle that Scola,Landry,Hayes & Lowry brought to this team. Everytime I watch games now, I'm looking to see which guys out of the current roster will be the new heart and hustle.

I guess Parsons and Asik are good candidates, hoping Marcus will step up and revive that Philly toughness Lowry showed every night.

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Rockets will look to exploit Harden v Derozan anyway. I don't think we'll see too much Lin v Lowry.

16. Dei

Dei Member

We miss you too you Ninja Turtle. Trade Lin for him.

2 people like this.
  17. roxxy

roxxy Member

Jonas vs Omer is going to be really really good.

18. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Of Patience, Perseverance And Time

Original Article

19. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I miss you so, Kyle

20. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Lowry is gonna kill lin and get him benched before halftime