1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

does 100% non-concentrate orange juice have added sugar?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by H-Town Info, Nov 8, 2005.

1. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

jw, does 100% non-concentrate oj contain added sugar. my friends thinks that gatorade is better for you since it doesnt have much sugar.

2. droxford

droxford Member

I don't think so. But that just means that it doesn't have "added" sugar. Many foods (like fruits) are high in sugar by nature.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I thought Gatorade has a lot of suger in it.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The sugar molecules in fruit (which is also used to sweeten gatorade) is monosaccharide and is more easily broken down than disaccharides, which are used to sweeten soft drinks, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's 100% natural, it should be OK...

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Why does 100% natural juice have corn syrup in it? Or does it?

6. droxford

droxford Member

I would think that since corn syrup comes from corn, they may be able to away with putting it in there.

7. A-Train

I guess "100% natural" was a bad choice of words, since corn syrup is derived from nature. If it says "100% juice" and there is corn syrup or any other sweetener added, then it's illegal to put 100% juice on there...

8. droxford

droxford Member

Yes, but be careful to make sure you buy the kind that's labeled "100% fruit juice" as opposed to "100% juice", 'cause that other stuff may have man-juice in it.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

This is a very interesting thread. ;)

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

When I was around four years old, I thought that 'From Concentrate' meant that Walter Conkrite made the O.J.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

This reminds me, when maple syrup comes out of a tree it looks just like water. Same consistency too. You can actually tap into it pretty easily. Saw that on the Globe Trekker. Pretty suprising to me.

12. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I'm going to bust a myth: Fruit juice (including "fresh squeezed") is not that good for you. Orange juice, apple juice, etc isn't much more than sugar water fortified with Vitamin C. Look at the nutrition labels and you will see what I'm talking about.

If you want the full nutritional benefits of fruit, eat the whole fruit, which includes the skin and pulp. These have the fiber and anti-oxidents. Before someone starts joking, of course you don't eat the skin from an orange. The membranes that section off the inside contain the good stuff.

To burst the bubble even more: Juicing vegetables is also a big mistake for the same reason. If you insist on liquifying, pulverize fruit and veggies instead of squeezing the juice out. You keep all of the nutrition benefits this way.

For the record, most orange juice you buy does not have added sugar. It has more than enough on it's own. Adding sugar to orange juice is like adding sugar to Kellogg's Frosted Flakes.

Personally, I recommend Gatorade over orange juice. It has fewer calories because it has much less sugar.

Because of tradition and conventional wisdom, some of you think I'm way off base. Ask a nutritionist or dietician. It will surprise you.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

I just looked at my Topicana Peach Papaya drink. Apparently you need the word REAL Fruit Juice as well. It also says that it contains 5% juice. Which makes you wonder. I probably have a mixture of FAKE juice and REAL Juice. At exactly what percentages I have no idea.

14. droxford

droxford Member

"Topicana Peach Papaya drink" means absolutely nothing. It doesn't have to have peach or papaya in it. It doesn't even have to taste like peach or papaya. when they add that word "drink" at the end, all bets are off. You're drinking kool-aid.

(ever notice that Grape-Nuts has neither grapes nor nuts in it?)

15. A-Train

If it has vitamin C, it CAN'T be good for you...

I'm sure the juiceman could STILL kick your ass, though!

[​IMG]

16. A-Train

Oh, and FYI, per 8 oz serving, OJ has 110 calories, 480 mg of potassium, 3 grams of fiber, 100% daily value of vitamin C, 2% daily value of calcium, plus thiamine, niacin, B6, and folate. Plus, OJ doesn't have any sodium. Gatorade only has 50 calories, but it only has 30 mg of potassium, no fiber, and 110 mg of sodium, plus none of the other nutrients.

How exactly is Gatorade better for you than fruit juice? Gatorade is basically salt water that's intended to re-hydrate you after strenuous physical activity. Neither gatorade nor fruit juice was intented to be a replacement for natural water. The sugar in fruit (and gatorade, for that matter) is NOT the same sugar that goes into sodas and desserts.

Would I drink nothing but fruit juice? No...However, to say that gatorade is better for you than fruit juice because it has less sugar is absurd, and any doctor or nutritionist that tells you this probably got their degree by mailing in four cereal box tops with $2.99 shipping and handling...

17. mulletman

mulletman Member

but unfortunately (at least according to this site), sports drinks like gatorade are really bad for your teeth...

link

18. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

The question pertained to sugar, which is why I focused on that aspect only. I don't recommend anyone drink large amounts of either gatorade or orange juice. As you state, gatorade has too much salt (and OJ has too much sugar). Gatorade's specific purpose is for replenishment after hard exercise. I still don't drink even for that.

Yes, the sugar that occurs naturally in OJ is not exactly the same as the sugar in desserts and sodas, but it has just as many calories and is no better for you. This is a very long topic by itself.

I though I made it clear the opinion of drinking gatorade over OJ was my own. I meant to consult a doctor for comparing fruit vs. fruit juices and vegetables vs. vegetable juices.

You don't need to tell me about water. Ozarka Spring Water is exactly why I don't drink gatorade or fruit juices.

19. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

why are calories bad for you? its only bad if you take in more calories than you're using, which would lead to gaining fat weight.

also why is non-concentrated better than concentrated? i always thought that concentrated just means that water was removed. does it mean something else in the food industry?

btw, i drink a glass of concentrated orang/apple juice a day for the vitamin c. its cheap, and easier than buying oranges, always some bad ones in the bunch.

20. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

How many grams of sugar is reported in the nutrition facts?

That might only be a good test, if you compared 2 side by side. Unfortunately, I'm thinking that sugars might also include the natural frustose that is part of the natural fruit.