1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is everyone against upgrading at PG (in the near future)?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sen89, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Most of the suggested moves I have seen on CF are for a PF. It makes sense, yes, as there should be some quality PFs available on the trade market (Millsap, J.Smith, etc) or FA for us to go after. I don’t disagree with this idea, but I don’t think a move of this nature propels us to a high-seed playoff team, not even in a few years. We have a mid-level playoff team ceiling with a move like that. I know some unrealistically optimistic fans will disagree, but it is what it is. That lineup isn't taking down any of the powerhouses. Of course, the ideal scenario is to pull off a deal like that and then make another...

With Harden as our current centerpiece, we can scratch off SG as a position of need. Let’s look at the other 4:

SF: Parsons is improving regularly and looks to be an excellent glue guy for our future. I’m perfectly fine with him being the SF for many years to come. If an All-Star is available, we should look into it, but if you look at the current state of the SF position, there are a few superstars who won’t be leaving anytime soon, and maybe only a handful of guys who have a brighter future than Parsons. I’d say the likelihood of upgrading here is low.

C: Asik is playing great basketball, and has $25 million on the books. The good news is that he’s validating his contract. There are a few other young Cs who are better 2-way threats, but I don’t think we should actively be seeking an upgrade here unless a legitimate All-Star becomes available. The likelihood of upgrading here is medium-low.

PG and PF: Lin also has $25 million on the books, but the difference is that he’s not validating his contract. I understand he brings in fans and media attention, but his play on the court is not cutting it. I understand being patient, but how much better can he really get? The PG position is as strong as it’s ever been, and Lin is simply not in the top-20 starting players there. A good percentage of the guys better than him are also young, and don’t have the glaring weaknesses that he has. So even with his expected growth, will he ever be an above average starter? I honestly doubt it.

The interesting part is that PG has as much talent on the market as any (along with PF).

Patterson has his faults, but he’s actually younger than Lin (23 to 24) and has played better ball than him this year. Jones and Motiejunas have quite a bit of talent and definitely deserve a chance in the near-future (assuming we keep them).

Adding a Josh Smith or Millsap would be great, but I honestly think we should look into PG just as much as PF. But to be honest, I think we need to upgrade at both. Address one position via trade (use picks, expirings and maybe the rooks), and assuming we keep our cap space, address the other in FA.

This is a perimeter based league, and having a legitimate PG next to Harden (one whose playing-style complements his) would take our team to the next level. A finishing PF would do our team wonders as well, as many CF members have already pointed out. I just wonder why it's sacrilegious to suggest upgrading at PG here. I've seen trade ideas for every position (outside of SG) more than I've seen for PG. Yes, we made a financial investment in Lin, but that doesn't guarantee much, especially with Morey's ability to make moves.

I understand this thread will probably receive a low rating due to the high number of Lin fans, but oh well.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Where is this "everyone" of whom you speak? If CP or Deron Williams or some other star player is available, I am sure the team would be interested.

Seem like you made up a situation that doesn't exist and argued against it just to insult Lin fans.

2 people like this.
  3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Bingo.

1 person likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I do not think that anyone is against upgrading at any position. However, Lin is a solid player that plays good defense and passes and gets rebounds when his shot is not falling. However, power forward is a bigger concern and will be easier to fill in trade or free agency.

What point guard would you like the Rockets to get that is a real possibility? Further, you want scoring options from the inside and outside. We already have an elite scoring wing, but need someone that can score in volume from the post.

5. jose

jose Member

I've criticized Lin possibly more than anyone but I don't know how you would get a better PG in return by trading him when he's playing bad unless it was a salary dump deal.

I still think he's more of a scoring PG and suited to play off the bench since he needs the ball to play his true game. The way the Rockets are playing they just need like a Daniel Gibson type at PG, or Derek Fisher in previous years.

There is nothing wrong with coming off the bench, Ginobili was one of the Spur's best players and they won championships like this. Kevin Martin is excelling shooting 50%(!) from 3 with all the open looks he's getting. Jason Terry won a championship with the Mavs doing the same thing. Jamal Crawford now for the Clippers. I could go on and on.

I don't know if Harden and Lin can effectively share the ball enough without affecting each other's game negatively. So I'd rather play Lin off the bench and get a 3pt shooting, defensive minded PG.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

put me on the Branden Jennings train and lets roll.

7. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Lin has a lot of potential just like the rest of the team.

Morey paid him $25 million for three years and you want the guy out after only a few games.

Thread is pointless.

8. t3ddt3ch

t3ddt3ch Member

Don't you think Morey and his legion of scouts didn't think of this? They chose Lin for a reason and not just for the marketability. Your evaluation of the current situation is quite weak and doesn't take all aspects into account.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Do not want.... does not defend.... poor shot selection.... does not control the flow of the game....

10. Pete the Cheat

Lin the basketball player might not garner much in a trade at the moment, but "Linsanity" is still a tradeable commodity.

I am up for anything that would improve the team, but it's hard to envision a palatable trade for a proven star at PG...especially one that compliments Harden.

11. Prince

Prince Member

so pucked up thread.

12. HOU_ROCKETS1

HOU_ROCKETS1 Member

Yes!!!! Trade Lin first useless , 2nd patrick PG and PF

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Why do you want Jennings? Of all the PG's why him. He is awful.

14. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

And, damn, I'm pissed!!

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

Teams would take him. Dallas & LAL for example. But it isn't happening. Morey has made it very clear that he is committed to him. Lin isn't going anywhere for a long time most likely.

16. Postcall

Postcall Member

Great thread Super

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

If cp3 becomes a free agent do we throw the max at him

18. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

the problem is people want to believe that only cp3 or d-will is an upgrade. niether of those guys are coming and we shouldnt go after superstar PGs. they dont win championships.. we just need serviceable PGs, who can handle the ball.. i would rather build around a star PF/C not a backcourt.. harden is a great compliment to a lowpost scorer.. i just dont see how lin fits in..

19. Postcall

Postcall Member

20. yunac010

yunac010 Member

The only way I can see Lin being dumped right now is if a CP3 or Rondo came along. Otherwise the money and attention he brings to the franchise is not worth dumping for someone like Brandon Jennings (who is awful btw).