1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

XBOX 360 Kinect reviews

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DreamRoxCoogFan, Nov 9, 2010.

1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, if you do, do it now, before the holidays as the used market will be saturated...I bought my kids a wii last xmas and they've only played it a handfull of times...

We play my PS3 more, but its because of the game selection and video quality...

2. PASTORofMUPPETS

I've had the Kinect since release day because I have twin daughters that just had to have it. They pushed me to get it because they love the dance games and that sort of stuff. My wife is a casual gamer as well and has had a lot of fun playing on it with them so far.

My thoughts;

Just like the Wii, the games that are being released for it are geared towards casual gamers, small kids, and girls. Not trying to offend here but I see a lot more appeal from my daughters than my son. He's had zero interest so far and he's 9.

Voice commands and gestures are not as responsive as you would like, but I hear they are working on an update for that now.

Video Kinect (conferencing) is a great feature if most xbox owners buy it. Right now I have 42 friends on my list. None of them have it so far, so this feature is pretty useless until it gets more popular.

Fitness games are going to be unrivaled on this thing. Nothing else out there gives you a 3d visual in realtime of yourself on screen. Seriously, this thing should be called the wiifit killer.

The Kinect adventures games that comes included will give you a few hours of gameplay but that's about it.

Honestly I thought my family would have gotten a lot more use out of this thing already. They've put a few hours in it but that's about it.

For those single guys out there or parents of boys like mine, who play nothing but FPS, hold on to your cash. This thing will either come down in price or there will be better games down the road....just wait.

For those of you who don't have a wii, have small children, or enjoy the dance games - Go ahead and pick this thing up. You'll have a lot of fun.

3. PASTORofMUPPETS

Don't get your hopes up too high just yet. As of right now, the Kinect does not work with the Netflix application. :mad:

Believe me I was totally disappointed when I found out. It does work with Zune and Lastfm so I'm guessing it won't be long until they patch it over to Netflix as well. Just giving you a heads up!

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That's weird because wasn't there just a Zune and Netflix update? I downloaded both the other day when I was wanting to watch a movie. They both appear to have similar, updated navigation styles. It's weird they would take care of Kinect for Zune but not for Netflix given that. But, you obviously know better than I do. Just kind of weird they didn't add it to the most recent Netflix update.

5. PASTORofMUPPETS

Yeah, unfortunately the update just enhanced the search function in netflix. I'm pretty sure that eventually it will be compatible with Kinect but for some reason they didn't include it in the launch or the launch patch.

6. A00man

A00man Member

Kinect has a lot of potential with the hardcore games as well.

We should start seeing things like head tracking and voice commands incorporated in FPS games and racing games soon enough. I will wait to buy it until we start seeing more innovative approaches to games instead of Wii ripoffs.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

After getting owned countless times in the GARM DD finally gets some payback in the Hangout.
    :grin:

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Greg Oden or Brett Favre? :confused:

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

At least one of, if not both, of these new motion control systems will sell very well this holiday and become 'mainstream' and mass market.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

He could be shy, like Amare "shy."

11. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Dance Central is the one game I want, but no way in hell I'm paying ~$400 for it.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Where do you get that number from?

13. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Console ($200), Kinect ($150), Dance Central $(50).

Actually would be $350 before tax because the console w/kinect is $300.

14. lionaire

lionaire Member

Thanks for the heads up.

15. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Well, if you do not already have the console, there wouldn't be much of a point to buy one for a single game.

But everyone else who wants it would likely only be spending $150 for Kinect

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'd rather sit on my ass when playing video games

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Got one for Christmas and it is actually a lot of fun, especially soccer on Kinnect Sports, its very responsive and way better than a Wii

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

We have thoroughly enjoyed our Kinect since Christmas. It is great for kids and adults simply for the exercise factor that gets you off the couch. Some games can be a real up/down/jump workout, and if you're out of shape (like I was), you will be sore.

DaDakota's mention of programmers avoiding the platform is a concern and I hope he is wrong. We are waiting on new games, and hopefully the fact that so many Kinects were sold will prompt developers to jump in and take advantage of the technology.

Those that dissed the response rate earlier in the thread were wrong. Unless their calibration was off, the response rate is surprisingly quick and accurate. If your calibration is off, or you don't have enough room, or someone walks behind, or stands too close, things can get wacky.