1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

How Fast Does Food Poisoning Take?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, May 26, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I don't think I have it but I think I may have had a bout with it this past weekend. Me and my friends went to eat at a Benihana-style restaurant called Fuji. I ordered tuna roll as an appetizer and steak and chicken, steak cooked rare. Afterward, we went bowling and stayed there for about 3 hours and bowled. We all then went to an ice cream place for dessert called Shakes that serves frozen custard and I ordered a root beer float. That's when things started to go downhill.....fast!

After finishing the float, my stomach began to ache a bit but we all went to my friend's house to hang out. I began to feel worse and worse and more nauseated. I only stayed for about 30 minutes before heading home and feeling awful. When I finally get home, I couldn't make up my mind whether I need to put my face in the toilet or my butt. Tried the butt first and nothing came out and I stood up and I knew I was about to spew from my mouth. I started vomiting. After that I still felt pretty bad so I went and laid down for a minute but then started feeling bad again. Went to the bathroom to sit on the pot and then pure liquid came out, nothing solid...at all. Thought I was finished and I stood up had to sit back down and continue, thought I was done after that but stood up and had to sit down and continue, thought I was done after that but stood up and had to sit back down and continue, and so on. I was finally able to stop and hop in the shower and then go to bed. I still felt iffy but not too bad yesterday and today I am finally feeling like my good ole normal self.

So, after those graphic details is it a possibility that this was food poisoning? I mean can it act that fast?

2. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I think it's definitely food poisoning.

3. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Damn thats one fatty meal.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Oh yes it can act that fast. Makes you feel like you want to die, eh?

I you are like me, that will be your last root beer float ever. I've crossed a couple of things off my diet over the years. When I was ~12 years old, I had a yogurt not too long after eating pizza and haven't had a yogurt since then. The very thought grosses me out.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I'm very leary at a lot of those Japanese grill style restaurants. If you notice, they will often cross contaminate with raw chicken on the cooked food. Good places make sure to use different knives and utensils on the raw chicken seperately.

6. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

it's probably food poisoning. one time, i was just eating a quick dinner before friends come over and head out to the bar for a few drinks. so i got some unopened can of kim-chi. about 1 hour later, i just had to camp in the bathroom. then the girls showed up, my roommates were all laughing. i had been in the toilet for 30 minutes. i kept telling them, i will be right there. but i was sweating like a pig. then i took a shower afterward.

i asked my friends to give me whatever pill they can find. then i started popping those pills in. then i felt better. then went out with the girls and drunk all night. got pretty drunk and went home slept. then i refused to eat kim-chi for a few years.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You will feel weak for about 3 days then gradually better.......I hate it.

DD

8. Asian Sensation

Mistake 1) Eating kim-chi before going out.
    Mistake 2) Kim-chi out of a can? :confused:

9. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

ya, mistake. was from a glass/plastic jar. my bad. i think it has bacteria inside or something.

10. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Lil pun the few times I got food poison, it happened about 6-7 hours later. I wouldn't blame it on the root beer float or what you had for dinner. What did you have earlier that day? Did you have any fast food? Taco bell maybe?

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

spicy chicken burrito. about the 9th or 10th time i got them. puked for about 9 straight hours, almost considered going to the hospital. haven't eaten there since.

always gotta be careful with foods you really like (not talking about the spicy chicken burrito anymore). don't mix them in with other stuff that day that could make you sick b/c then you'll never want to eat them again. or at least not for the better part of a decade.

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Strange... I got food poisoning Sunday from some Church's chicken.

About 18 hours of the trots... mixed with nausea, and then just nausea.

I'll probably feel a bit sluggish for another day.

I hate it when this happens.

13. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Sounds like you do have food poisoning if it happened that fast.

That is nothing. I got some stomach virus this past December. I had your exact scenario except it was for three days. The firs few times I was thinking, "Dear God, I am seriously going to yak on my nuts."

My ass hole was rubbed raw :( from how much I was dropping a deuce or I should say peeing out of my ass. :rolleyes: I was afraid to leave the house because I thought I would crap my pants. I am not kidding. I had to be withing 15 feet of one of our restrooms at all times.

Mine was horrible but it passed after three days.

Drink lots of fluids if you can.

14. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I ate some food I had sitting around in the fridge that had changed in color a bit. Probably not the best decision, but I'm feeling ok right now, I doubt anything that bad could

15. duwende

duwende Member

Yes that's definitely food poisoning. Depending on onset, symptoms, what you ate, and the type of diarrhea (watery, bloody, rice water, etc) you're experiencing will depend on a different organism and treatment. There's like 20+ different types of bacteria and viruses that would cause your problem.

For most cases just ride it out and drink fluids (gatorade if you can since you'll also be losing electrolytes). If it's too painful or feel the need to get some meds see a doc.

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I got food poisoning in about 20 minutes once.

My wife and I were together all day eating exactly the same thing for breakfast and lunch. We went to dinner together where I had a lobster bisque and then a ceaser salad. Before I finished my salad, I was off to the bathroom. By the time it was said and done, the cold bathroom floor in the restaurant was ...my savior.

17. Christopher

Christopher Member

I remember having tinned soup a few years ago. As I was eating the last spoonfull of it, my stomach felt like it dropped about 30 feet and I knew I was gonna be in trouble. It all happened very quickly!

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I thought kimchi stored right rarely goes bad...

Yeah, food poisoning is like an assembly worker pushing the red button and every thing gets rushed down the drain. What sucks is if you have a developed turd down the line taking it's sweet time to pass while blocking all the gas from above. The pain you feel is mostly the gas...like a ruptured pipeline. I've had gut pain from after food poisoning because of that.

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Pepto Bismol is just about the only medicine you should take when you have food poisoning. The bismuth actually helps kill the bacteria causing the sickness. Almost all other medicines just treat symptoms.

20. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Contributing Member

Symptoms usually appear 8-12 hours of eating contaminated food but can be quicker. (sometimes in a couple of hours if the bacteria is present in large quantities)