1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Despite having the worst coaching staff in history of mankind, we are still 4-4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 14, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

If we take clutchfans opinions at face value, the Rockets staff are incapable of

A. Using Jeremy Lin in any way shape or form
    B. Have no offensive schemes
    C. Playing superior rookies over obviously "crappy" players like Busty Morris and Pansy Patterson
    D. Playing Toney "the worst PG in history" Douglas over still-FA Shaun Livingston

Yet we are 4-4. This includes games against the Heat, Grizzlies, and Nuggets. No blowout losses. And overall scoring more points than we give up, meaning our record isn't a mirage. We should be 4-4 or 5-3 right now based on point differential.

Does this mean we have the most talented team in the history of the NBA to overcome such a horrendous coaching handicap?
    /sarcasm

2. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Yeah pretty much...

3. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

hahahaha

james harden = MJ

4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Heh. Well said.

5. munco

munco Member

It is miraculous but our guys play hard and have talent. We're winning despite the terrible coaching.

6. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

I don't think your observations are entirely correct.

I do believe that its time for coach to tell or let Lin play with freedom and pick and roll, when he does play with confidence and up tempo in the few possessions that he does he has shown that he makes plays for everyone, this will hopeful instill confidence for him to start hitting shots.

Its time to try and play him or tell him to let him play and then if it doesn't work out its time to trade him. You can't keep having him play these games because even Douglas was more useful today.

Most importantly I think Morris has been huge for us this season, I believe he should be a bigger part of the offense and in with Asik at the end instead of Patterson. The most impressive thing about his game so far is not his shooting but his excellent defence on switches and also his rebounding has been good as well.

I believe its time to play Morris more minutes as he is one of the only guys who can create his shot off the dribble as well other then Harden.

7. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I get it, but Toney Douglas is still pretty freaking awful. Like, Jared Jeffries awful.

8. Postcall

Postcall Member

4-4 3 of those wins came from teams that are just not that good right now. Mediocrity

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We play good defense, that alone will mean we're in a lot of games. Asik has been a real stud but our team defense is top notch.

10. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Potentially, yes.

I don't know if it is the worst coaching but they are a strange and moderately unproductive lot.

11. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

This team must be dead last in the NBA in screens set. Harden can play through this on occasion, but this is the core reason why the shooting has been poor. When the team doesn't set any screens, and few they do set are awful, the open shots are few and far between.

The Rockets are one of the best defensive teams in the league, and it makes up for the lack of offense.

If the bigs learn to set screens, the open lanes and open looks will go up, and the shooting will improve. In my opinion, this is the team's number one deficiency.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

So if we can beat crappy/mediocre teams with the worst coaches in the history of mankind, does this mean those teams have, gasp!, even worse coaching? But then that would mean that we don't have the worst staff!? Or we have championship caliber talent!?

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Believe it or not, it's not top notch. It was ranked 13th before this game. And this game made our defensive rating worse. In fact, after this game, the Rockets should have more or less average offense and average defense. To go with their average record. They are the definition of average all-around.

14. Gil

Gil Member

Outstanding rebounding and the teams all 'round defense is keeping in games.

We're completely inept on the offensive end though. Not surprising considering the lack of perimeter shooters and low post threats on the team.

Coaching staff have actually done a remarkable job so far with such an unbalanced roster to work with.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Despite our attempts to tank, we are still mediocre lol

16. MKL

MKL Member

Could be worse. /shrug

17. hehsy5sy5

hehsy5sy5 Member

We played Detroit twice and Harden had two career games in the beginning. I say if we had a hard schedule and Harden played the first 2 games like he did the next 6, we would be looking at 1-7, or 2-6.

18. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Lin's game tonight against the Hornets really concerns me. He shot 20% from the field with no FT and only scored 4 points, 4 assist and 2 TO. I know he has been struggling with his shot but hopefully, he comes to the game extra early and work hard on his shots as well as finishing around the rim.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Morey completely remade the team over the summer. There will be holes to fill. They are not going to be as organized and disciplined as the Griz or the Heat or OKC. They have not played together for years. The Rockets are basically in the preseason because the offensive playbook got shredded after the Harden trade. On the defensive side they are showing promise, which means the effort level is high.

In other words things could be much much worse.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we finish this season 41-41, everybody on CF should be happy with that. Youngest, least experienced team in the NBA going .500 is VERY promising.