1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Misguided Expectations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I've been lurking and reading how Jeremy Lin sucks and Toney Douglas sucks and Terrance Jones doesn't get enough playing time and the coaching is awful and Patterson is soft and on and on. Here's what I'm wondering...

What exactly did you expect from the youngest team in the NBA? Youth brings a lot of positive things: energy, excitement, promise. It also brings a lot of negative things: dumb mistakes, inconsistency, inexperience.

We aren't going to know who most of these players are -- outside probably of Harden -- be even the end of this year. It will probably be late into next season before we have enough data to make any calls. For you Texans fans, how many of you honestly thought Kareem Jackson would go from what some believed was the worst DB in the history of the NFL to a more than competent starter? Raise your hands.

I'm not saying watching the team and its players struggle is fun. It's not. But this is what SO MANY OF YOU ASKED FOR! Just as no one goes to Minute Maid despite every fan online, on the radio and in person BEGGING the Astros to ditch the old players and start over. They did. They suck. Somehow, everyone is SHOCKED.

That's just how it goes. The Rockets did what everyone wanted. They started COMPLETELY over from scratch. You have your team filled with youth and promise. Now, you get to watch as it struggles like crazy. No coach or new GM or special diet or training regimen is going to fix any of this. Only time will, for the better or the worse.

All we have right now is hope and frustration. Better get used to it.

16 people like this.
  2. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Wait wait wait...

Are you saying Toney Douglas DOESN'T suck?

3. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Well said.

This is exactly what I was wondering, what did you expect?
    We have the youngest team in the NBA with tremendous upside and our record isnt really that bad, why a lot of people sound like the sky is falling after every single game?

I just dont understand.

4. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

There were quite a lot of people here expecting playoffs, lol. Especially after the Harden trade.

5. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I mainly have issues with the coaching staff, the players are playing within my expectations, if not exceeding them in some cases.

6. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

True. You've got to love Clutchfans, where for 3 years no one would shut up about how we should be losing instead of winning, and now everyone's venting their spleens about how much we suck.

The Rockets have a young team, cap space, and a good outlook going forward. This is how rebuilding works, just because we skipped the "draft franchise guy" step doesn't mean the rest of the build is automatically done.

7. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

some board members are a bunch of floppers, everyone is a critic but when things actually happen the way they want it to. They always got some commentary.... can never win can ya...

8. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

ClutchFans: Never Satisfied.

9. prs325

prs325 Member

I knew were gonna suck and i expected that. The only problem i have is if were gonna suck this bad, lets suck in a way where we are actually playing the rookies, let them develop and experience the growing pains. Since were not doing anything this year we might as well get that high lotto to add to the collection of youth that we have.

The other thing is, aa young as we are, we are probably the only team that does not start or play any of our rooks.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

And you think this has nothing to do with the coaches? Interesting.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Thing is, most of the loudest complainers weren't here previouisly to see all the tank vs no-tank discussions, they dont realize that most of us where expecting a crap season this year. Adding one guy who they want to build around doesnt change that.

Harden is good, but he aint *that* good...and until Lin proves that last season wasn't a fluke, he can't be considered a player that would change a lotto team into a contender.

Jeff, your takes are sorely missed here.

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I expected 82 wins.

Fire everyone. Expecially Communistcast

1 person likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Great thread. I agree that people need to chill out.

Patterson is still soft, though, and Douglas is still not a very good player :p.

14. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I think most of us are disappointed because we saw the first 2 games and how this team played. When you come home and lose to some mediocre teams it can frustrate you. Besides that the way Lin is playing relative to Dragic and Lowry has nothing to do with our youth or coaching. It was an absolutely awful move to let Goran go for nothing to the Suns and sign lin for more money per year. This is what is frustrating.......not the win loss record.

15. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

so, this couldn't go into one of those other threads how???

sorry, just have to do it... :)

16. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

We are in a different situation than anybody else. Veterans aren't stopping the rooks from playing, its other young guys that need to develop too! This idea to play the rookies is stupid, as long as our best young players are playing and developing that's all that should matter. Our starting lineup experience is a bunch of 2nd year and 3rd year players. We should stop their development to develop others? Doesn't make sense to me.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We've got a better record than the Lakers and are tied with the Nuggets, two teams which are built to win. Our offense looks horrible, but our defense looks great and the coaching staff and players deserve props for that. McHale and Sampson can't wave their magic wands and turn us into the Miami Heat. I'm impressed with our record considering our talent.

18. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Because it's posted by a reputable member of clutchfans with good content and reason, and it's not overlapping with current on-going discussions on other topics.

Nice try.

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I've been saying that we need this season just to figure out what we have. We have so many young and unproven players that it's going to take a while just to sort everything out. Morris, Patterson, and Smith appear to be getting their chance to show what they can do, maybe by the second half of the season we can start seeing what the rookies have to offer. I view this entire season as one big long training camp. I'm not too concerned about wins and losses, I just want the Rockets to have a good idea about who they need to keep, trade, or cut by the end of the season.

20. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

I think playoffs is a reasonable expectation, and I expect that the Rockets WILL be in the playoffs.