1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SportsCenter Sunday Conversation: Yao Ming (includes video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Sep 1, 2002.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

SportsCenter Sunday Conversation: Yao Ming

Just saw this in a preview for Sportscenter during the Giants-Dbacks game, and didn't see it anywhere else on the BBS. It will probably be on about 40 minutes into the show, for those that are interested.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Thanks for telling me. I'll check it out.

3. Truth

Truth Member

I'll bet he touches on the suckiness of his coach, and his excitement to play with us.

4. aznlincolnpark

I think yao ming want to play with the Rox than with the NT team.... Even when he was in his former shanghai shark team, he got more touches than with NT....NT sucks

5. Old School

Old School Member

I just tuned in...have I missed it??

os

6. RC Cola

Nope. Sportscenter just started, sort of.

#6 RC Cola, Sep 2, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2002
  7. Truth

Truth Member

I saw you at the very beginning of the show before it started he said " I'm next", but what suprised me was he had no accent at all when he said it. He's fitting in already. Welcome Yao.

8. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Appearantly I missed it. :( Can somebody give a summary?

9. RC Cola

It hasn't started yet. Sportcenter got delayed because of the Giants-DBacks game.

10. Truth

Truth Member

No you didn't. That was at the beginning when they talk about what going to be on. It has yet to air.

11. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

They went to commercial two minutes ago and showed footage of Yao as a teaser coming up in the next segment. I predict a couple of minutes at the most before the Yao interview!

12. RC Cola

Its on now, btw.
    Edit: Here's some things I took down:

He wants to buy a car that will fit him. :D

His father would give him incentives to play basketball. Cool.

Yao will stick with team #1, himself #2. No one is bigger than the team.

He wants to only play basketball, and play well.

He almost feels like he is in a cage because he is a star. He used going shopping and being surrounded as an example.

Yao looks foward to playing Shaq, Dream, Duncan, etc.

Yao-Shaq will be one sided. Shaq is much better at this time.

#12 RC Cola, Sep 2, 2002
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks mucho, RC Cola. Some of us are away from a TV.

Sounds like Yao will NOT have to learn the art of the interview.

14. Truth

Truth Member

Yao being down to earth and honest will help his development. I think he will be like Steve where he doesn't take enough shots. We will be begging him to shoot more, but rest assured Yao passed up shots won't go to waste right, Cuttino?:D

15. ron413

*For all of the people who don't have TV access to ESPN Sportscenter, here is the official link to the Sunday Conversation section for ESPN's website: (I assume they will put the video of Yao's interview online as soon as possible and then everyone can watch the conversation because it was an excellent interview all-around).

http://espn.go.com/tvlistings/s/sundayconvo.html

He also said that he thinks that Shaq will dominate in their first meeting of the season. I forget how he worded the answer but he was very humble & gave Shaq lots of props. But who knows when or if they will meet before the All-Star break.

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/hughes_frank/1425073.html

Listing the offseason's worst moves (so far)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Frank Hughes
    Special to ESPN.com

In the spirit of offseason optimism and restful cheerfulness, I list the worst decisions made this summer:

Shaquille O'Neal's decision to have toe surgery in a few weeks. Now, I know that everybody preaches that the NBA season does not really start until the first game of the playoffs, and, in fact, the playoffs did not even start for the Los Angeles Lakers this past season until Robert Horry hit that prayer at the end of Game 4 to completely deflate the Sacramento Kings in the Western Conference finals. But, really, that "season doesn't start until the playoffs" thing is hyperbole, not literal. I also know that Shaq is not a big proponent of training camp, nor of putting forth a great deal of effort in November and December and January, and well, let's be honest, February and March, either. But there has to be some sort of deference toward the fans, doesn't there? I'm quite sure they'll still sell out the Staples Center early in the season, but it is just not the same seeing Samaki Walker post up as it is the big Fella. The Finals stampede ended in mid-June, if I'm not mistaken. Why is it that Shaq had to wait almost three months to get his ailing toe straightened out, then miss the first few months of the season, finally getting into shape around the first game of the playoffs in mid-April? I guess it'll give Kobe Bryant a chance to carry the team for a while, anyway

#15 ron413, Sep 2, 2002
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That's a good point about Shaq's toe recovery. He seems more interested in being a cop these days, but I expect he'll get up to play Yao, even if it means hopping around on just one of his fat legs.:p

17. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/hughes_frank/1425073.html

I don't see where it matters, Shaq can rest his toe during the all star break unless the coaches pick him to back up Ming. :D

18. aznlincolnpark

very nice summary rc cola:D
    thanks guyz;)

19. Old School

Old School Member

Yao answered all the questions in Mandarin, btw.

Good stuff regardless.

os

20. ron413

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0902/1426166.html

Report: O'Neal's rehab to last at least eight weeks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal has scheduled surgery on his arthritic right big toe for Sept. 11, the Orange County (Calif.) Register reported Sunday.

O'Neal

According to the Register's report, O'Neal is expected to be out eight weeks recovering from the surgery and is likely to miss training camp and some of the regular season, which begins Oct. 29 against the San Antonio Spurs at Staples Center.

Dr. Robert Mohr will perform the surgery at UCLA Medical Center. Mohr said recovery time varies from patient to patient.

O'Neal has been battling a virus for the past three weeks and that could prove to be a complication and eventually delay the surgery. O'Neal's agent, Perry Rogers, told the Register the date was set assuming his client is well.

"Shaquille wants to get on with this,'' Rogers told the newspaper. "We can't wait anymore."

O'Neal will have a cheilectomy, which involves removing bone spurs in the joint that have caused pain and restricted his motion.

Since the first week of July, O'Neal had been consulting with doctors and sought three opinions about his toe. O'Neal played last season using a combination of medication, orthotics and other treatments to ease the pain, but no method was effective.

"The pain became so bad that I think I relied on (painkiller) too much," O'Neal told Fox Sports Net last week. "Sometimes if I didn't take it, I didn't feel well and I didn't play well, and I would have to rely on the painkillers for me to play well."