1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Chandler Parsons Contract: An Analysis (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 23, 2012.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

20 people like this.
  2. corby

corby Contributing Member

I get smarter every time I read an article by BimaThug

1 person likes this.
  3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Poor Parsons, can't get his worth until 2015.

Good news for the Rockets though.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

Damn socializms. I must spread some rep around.

Thanks for the article.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's going to get paid. I'm thinking between 8-10 million a year.

6. ERC

ERC Member

7. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Guess this goes to show how important it is to be drafted in a good position entering the NBA.

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Won't work for him, we need to cut him so that we can re-sign him to the max.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

BimaThug - thanks a lot. Very well-written. I was actually wondering about this. So I hope we sign Kevin Love in 2015 and then re-sign Parsons to a fat contract!!!

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I have but one 5-star rating to give.

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

An initially smart move by his agent horrendously backfired.

12. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

I wouldn't say horrendously backfired. It's not as if Parsons was a sure thing coming into the NBA and he signed a woefully undercut deal. He was a second round draft for a reason, and no team was going to give him any amount of money similar to what the Rockets gave him.

Considering the Rockets gave Parsons the best deal out of all the teams interested in him, Parsons' agent did the best he could for the guy. Chandler would've outplayed any contract offered to him prior to his rookie season, regardless.

So no, not "horrendously backfired". I don't know why it bothers me so, but the way you word it makes Parsons' camp seem inept, which is hardly the case.

13. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

wow, glad this isnt the nfl where they holdout until they ''get their worth''

but I feel bad for Parsons stuck in this deal, way of the law, but at least his sport is guaranteed

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks, guys, for the kind words.

I wanted to write a shorter version of this blog entry around New Year's Day, when Chandler's partial guarantee for next year kicked in. It just seemed like a good time to begin to inform people about the nuances of his contract.

However, when I started to read the "Can we give Chandler Parsons a raise?" thread and saw that even some of this BBS's most intelligent posters were uninformed about the basic details of Parsons's contract structure (no options) or the consequences relating to extensions (not feasible), I felt the need to expand on my original idea and get it out there a few days earlier.

Hope you all enjoy it!

In fairness to both the Rockets and Parsons's agent, this deal was a pretty fair deal to both sides at the time. I was just saying that the Parsons contract was much more player-friendly relative to the deals given to Taylor and Budinger.

The Rockets got their draft pick locked up long-term at a cheap salary.

Parsons got the financial security of knowing that he'd likely have four full years of NBA job security (or at least two years' worth of player salary).

Everybody won at the time. It's just that Chandler's surprising ascendance to "very good player-dom" caused his talent to outgrow the contract sooner than expected.

1 person likes this.
  15. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I was exaggerating a bit. I'm not saying that about his camp at all. It was a great move initially for him. Nobody originally saw Parsons taking over the starting gig so early his career and as a result the financial security backfired.

But if only making about 900k ish for 3 years is a problem then life is good.

16. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

Clutchfans would be like Lakersground if Bima wasn't here to keep it intellectual

1 person likes this.
  17. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Interesting. So no automatic rookie scale deal as a second rounder, just something negotiated that was similar to it, AND there are some really interesting guarantees built into it too.

I think it goes without saying that if Parsons maintains at least these current levels of production, there is a huge payday in it for him down the road in 2015, with the Rockets positioned perhaps better than most to give it to him.

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

He's paid more than most NFL and MLB players, don't feel sorry for him. And he'll only be 27 when his contract runs out, he'll still get his "set for life" contract (barring injury of course).

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The only thing that bothers me is that he won't be restricted. We are going to have to pay big bucks to keep him.

20. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I think this is somewhat offset by the fact that the Rockets would be able to offer a full 5 year deal while other teams would not. (Is that correct?)

Of course, we now live in a world where players can be traded and their Bird rights remain intact, so it doesn't diminish Parsons' value as a trade chip, either.