1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crock pot recipe thread, anyone?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Sep 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Uh huh.

Everything in my original post cost me $23 at Kroger yesterday (using my Kroger Card). I'll take that over govt cheese and krill any day.

2. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Where are the ******* recipes?

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I listed one. Here's another:

Slow-cook Krill (Food from the Sea!)

1. Obtain 5 lbs of Krill (whales collect them, for instance)
    2. Put krill in crock pot.
    3. Put in 1 stick of butter.
    4. Salt and Pepper to taste
    5. Cook on low-heat for six hours. (Note: if krill start to grow and crawl out of pot at 2 hours, tape lid down with duct tape.)
    6. At five hours, add 1 TB of Tabasco sauce.
    7. Serve immediately -- makes 12 servings. (Unless you are serving a whale, in which case it makes 0.0003 servings.)

4. Lynus302

Oops....didn't see it on the first page. What setting do you cook it on and for how long?

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I cook on low. Cook 10-12 hours. I never measure anything so I can't specify too well. The rub I used was just Kroger brand steak rub.

6. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Lots of good recipes in here. I like red wine and V-8 as my base sauce. I am a certified pot roast ninja so I will enlighten you grasshoppers :p with some pointers:

Le Creuset Dutch oven/French oven for the win. If that is out of your price range, there are cheaper alternatives for cooking vessels that you can use to sear the meat on the stovetop first and then put in the oven for the slow roast. Much more flexible and temperature control than you get with a crock pot.

Nobody has suggested a little jalapeno/serrano/habanero in their recipes. You are not trying to spice it too much, but it adds a great depth of flavor.

You're welcome.

:cool:

7. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

r****ds, add the veggies an hour before the meat is done if you don't like soggy veggies.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

A crock pot is perfect for oatmeal in the morning before work (it's tastier than the instant stuff). Takes only a few minutes to prepare and it's ready when you wake up.

Start at 5:56

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-j-Hkihja-0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-j-Hkihja-0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

oops here is the link to the oatmeal recipe in the video

10. Asian Sensation

Oh god. What a waste of good meat.

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

A waste is when meat goes uneaten. Believe me that won't happen with these ribs.

I only cook them like this when I'm doing something away from the house and can't babysit the smoker... like going to the lake all day and wanting fall off the bone tender ribs when I get home.

Like I stated my preferred method is slow smoking with a dry rub but that isn't the type. Of recipe he asked for... And I'm not such a food snob as to come in and bash something I've never tried like you are doing.

12. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I got a no-name five quart enamel-coated cast iron dutch oven from HEB for about 20 bucks. My girlfriend has the real deal. She loves mine just as much as hers and I saved well over a hundred bucks. The only real difference is my handle is only rated to 350, but you can replace it with a replacement Le Creuset handle for under 10 dollars.

If anyone doesn't have one of these dutch ovens, and you like crockpot style braises, you are missing out. Get a better result in two hours in the oven than you'd get all day in the crock pot. Not that the crock pot doesn't have it's place! But after you master the crock, it's time to step up to the piece of equipment that it is emulating, the dutch oven.

13. Asian Sensation

I'm all for certain shortcuts when it comes to cooking food especially when I'm strapped for time and or busy but I can't fathom throwing a couple racks of baby back ribs into a crock pot :::shudders:::

I have no problem being labeled a food snob for refusing to cook baby back ribs in a crock pot. :)

14. Lynus302

When you have to get up at 6am and work from 7am-7pm and want nothing more than something really good to eat without having to cook when you come home, you might change your mind.

15. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

There's nothing wrong with braising ribs (which is what a crock pot does), though I prefer beef short ribs to pork ribs.

Actually, there's this America's Test Kitchen recipe for "Sunday Gravy", a slow cooked italian meat sauce that uses sausage, pork ribs, and flank steak that looks amazing. Here's something similar:

http://www.food.com/recipe/sunday-gravy-330654

Ingredients

o 1 lb sweet Italian sausage links
    o 1 lb hot Italian sausage links
    o 2 onions, chopped
    o 2 teaspoons dried oregano
    o 12 garlic cloves, minced
    o 1 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
    o 1/2 cup dry red wine
    o 1 (28 ounce) cans tomato sauce
    o 1 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
    o 1 1/2 lbs flank steaks
    o 2 lbs pork spareribs, bone in and excess fat removed (country-style)
    o 1/4 cup chopped basil

Directions

1. Brown sausages in a large pot. When browned on all sides, remove to a paper-towel lined plate.

2. Add onions to pot and saute 6-8 minutes until onions are quite soft and caramelized, and the liquid from the onions has deglazed the pot bottom. Add oregano and garlic and cook until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Add tomato paste and cook 1-2 minutes until it loses the raw flavor. Add red wine and stir well, scraping up any fond on the bottom of the pot. Transfer contents of pot into slow cooker.

3. Add tomato sauce and drained tomatoes to slow cooker. Add drained sausages, flank steak and country-style ribs, covering completely with sauce. Cook 8-10 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.

4. Remove spareribs and flank steak. Slice flank steak into 2" pieces across the grain, then shred both steak and pork with two forks. Discard bones and gristle. Slice sausages in half lengthwise. Return all the meats to the sauce and stir well. Add basil and stir. Serve over pasta.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I bought a Crock Pot for $4 at Target the day after Christmas last year. I have not used it yet. It is so small, I'm not sure what I could cook in it

17. Asian Sensation

I see nothing wrong with braising beef short ribs either. As a matter of fact one of my favorite dishes incorporates beef short ribs and a crockpot. A popular Korean dish called galbi Jjim.

[​IMG]

Here's a link to an authentic recipe if anyone wants to try. http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/galbijjim

18. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

OK simple and easy...

1 lb pinto beans washed and soaked over night
    1 onion sliced in quarters
    1 serrano pepper diced
    1 can of hot rotel
    Bout a cup of chopped cilantro
    1 link of Good Sausage(not deckers more like Chapel Hill)
    Spice the gambit, garlic, a little salt, pepper, tony chachere, a little black pepper

Thow it on high while waking up in the am till it hits a boil bring it down to low before you leave the house

Get home from work make some corn bread and brown rice with slice cheddar cheese and crackers.... damn im hungry now... spicy but a good meal for 4...

19. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Another one my grandmother in law makes is good just know whats in it but have no idea the ingredients.. makes a big batch of brown gravy from packages... and i mean alot then gets frozen meatballs and puts them in a crockpot half a day then smothers it all in rice.. is absurd cheap and quick and easy..

20. Agent94

Agent94 Member

The first thing I thought of was pot roast. I have also had great meat balls from the crock pot. Unfortunately I can't give recipes since my ex girlfriend made them.