1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Jeremy Lin's lost jumper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Nov 26, 2012.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Doesn't really offer much new insight, but it's an article about a Rockets player, so...

-----------------

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/

Joe Kaiser

Jeremy Lin | PG | Houston Rockets

Trend: Missing shots he used to make

Lin's game is one that has been analyzed as much as anyone's in the NBA over the last 12 months, as he continues to be one of the most fascinating players in the league today.

Though Lin helped his new team blow by his old team on Friday as Houston blew out New York 131-103, he clearly isn't the same offensive threat that he was when Linsanity peaked last February.

Omar Shaik of HoopData.com wrote on Friday that one of the biggest reasons for this is the sudden disappearance of Lin's jump shot:

"Last season, Lin ranked in the NBA's top seven among point guards in field goal percentage from 10 to 15 feet and 16 to 23 feet. He was more accurate from these distances than many household names, such as Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Tony Parker, Derrick Rose, and Russell Westbrook. He demonstrated a jump shot that deserved to be respected, and teams adjusted accordingly."

Through the Rockets' first 12 games this season, Lin is shooting 16.7 percent from shots in the 10- to 15-foot range, and 29.4 percent on attempts from the 16- to 23-foot range. Those numbers are, to put it mildly, not good. Most worrisome, defenses will adjust and limit Lin's ability to penetrate as they back off, knowing his shooting is so suspect.

It probably won't be until Lin plays another season or two until we can safely say whether the real Lin is closer to the guy we saw last season with the Knicks or the one who's struggling to find the net this season with the Rockets. But you can bet that won't stop the conversation on the topic between now and then.

-------------

There is also a bit about Dragic:

-------------

Goran Dragic | PG | Phoenix Suns

Trend: Taking better care of the basketball

Phoenix moved quickly to ink Dragic to a four-year, $34 million deal just hours after agreeing to send Steve Nash to Los Angeles in a July 5 sign-and-trade deal with the Los Angeles Lakers.
    Dragic

Replacing a legend like Nash couldn't be an easy situation for anyone to step into, let alone Dragic, a former Sun who played behind the Canadian point guard for two-and-a-half seasons before being dealt to Houston. But so far, the 26-year-old Slovenian is proving to be one of the biggest bright spots on a Suns team that -- admittedly or not -- is in rebuilding mode.

Playing a career-high 33.3 minutes a game in his first season back with the Suns, Dragic is on track to shatter his career bests in all of the major categories. But the most impressive part of Dragic's game so far this season is the way he's taking better care of the basketball. Dragic's 2.2 turnovers per game are less than the 2.4 he averaged while playing nearly seven fewer minutes a game with Houston last season. And his current 3.43 assist-to-turnover rate shatters his previous career high of 2.24, set last season.

--------

Oh well. Let's hope Lin improves. I think he will.

2 people like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Argh! I'm grinding my teeth. Someone please help Jeremy find his jump shot!

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Someone post an ad of craigslist!

4. kastuul

kastuul Member

Lin is great at his mid-range jumper, that makes his penetration so efficient last season.

5. jocar

jocar Member

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

Nice read. Repped. I am eagerly waiting for him to find his jumper. I am not to worried it will come in time right now his shots seem to be just short. I think once those start falling it will open up his game for him as well as that of the team. It seemed like he had some progress in the last game going 6-12 from the field I believe. Hopefully he builds on that. Once that happens he can really carve a bigger niche for himself in the offense & the Rockets will be a lot more dynamic. At times particularly when he doesn't have the ball in his hands he is a spectator out there.

Watching the rockets has honestly made me more knowledgable on how big basic NBA fundamentals are on a team. Simple things like setting proper screens or rolling hard to the rim (things that the rockets lack) really improve an offense. Watching teams like the Spurs who are just so fundamentally sound you often forget that. It has been a lot of fun these past 11 games.

7. kastuul

kastuul Member

Last season, every opponent knows Lin is weak at going left.
    But they can't stop him going right (except Miami), why?
    His mid-range jumper.

Without the jumper, his offense is predictable.

Last season, Lin had more chances to make the jumper because Amare and Tyson have no post-up game.

8. khfxxx

khfxxx Member

Is it because of the injury?

9. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

He shot better because his dribble penetration set up all those mid-range shots. But it's different now with the Rockets, he didn't have as much the opportunity to attack with the dribble penetration, it's hard to shoot the high % as a spot shooter only, let alone he was never good at that.

Even with the less ball handling, Lin still has many opportunities to attack the basket, but he often seems not sure about it so far this season. I guess he is trying to figure out when & how much he should attack. Hopefully, he can get that figured out soon.

10. kastuul

kastuul Member

Lin's weapon during Linsanity

ally-opp, mid-range jumper, draw foul.

because his front-court teammates is different.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

two words scouting reports. Other than that all i want him to do is find his jumpshot. Harden is your playmaker, remember that like there is no spoon and everyone wil be happy

12. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Hope he doesn't pull a Landry Fields and tried to slightly tweak on his shooting form only to have it become worse and yield even worse (much worse) results.

13. kastuul

kastuul Member

Lin's Knicks teammates, Fields and Shumpert, were good at D, not scoring.

Harden is the opposite of that.

Lin had to adjust.

14. kastuul

kastuul Member

Landry Fields underwent surgery on his ulnar nerve in his right elbow.
    It was the reason his FT is worse than Novak' 3pts since March.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, Asik and Patterson have much better post-up games? :confused:

16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Dang, that hurts to read. I remember how fluid and smooth Dragic was on offense, cutting through the defense and finishing or nailing a jump shot or making a nice pass. Jeremy Lin can run the show pretty well, but his game is no where as smooth as Dragic's.

17. kastuul

kastuul Member

I can't say better or not.

But the Knicks hired the Dream to teach Amare and Tyson this summer.

18. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

He's missing wide open jumpers. It doesn't matter who his teammates are. If he's adjusting to miss open jumpers then it's the wrong adjustment...

19. kastuul

kastuul Member

Wide open 3 pts and mid-range jumper is different.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well, a jumper can improve over time. We have seen it from Lowry. I think Lin will work hard and will get better.