1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Drapg: Biggest Bust of 1997

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JuanValdez, Jan 9, 2003.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

In my last draft bust thread, drapg said you can't really judge the busts until you've given him 5 years in the league. I only went back one year because it doesn't seem like people are very interested in talking about 5 year old busts. But, for drapg's sake, I'll give it a shot.

Draft Class of 1997:

1 SA Tim Duncan
    2 NJ Keith Van Horn
    3 Bos Chauncey Billups
    4 Van Antonio Daniels
    5 Den Tony Battie
    6 Bos Ron Mercer
    7 Phi Tim Thomas
    8 GS Adonal Foyle
    9 Tor Tracy McGrady
    10 Mil Danny Fortson
    11 Sac Olivier Saint-Jean (aka Tariq Abdul-Wahad)
    12 Ind Austin Croshere
    13 Cle Derek Anderson
    14 LAC Maurice Taylor
    15 Por Kelvin Cato
    16 Cle Brevin Knight
    17 Orl Johnny Taylor
    18 Dal Chris Anstey
    19 Det Scot Pollard
    20 Min Paul Grant
    21 Phi Anthony Parker
    22 Atl Ed Gray
    23 Den Bobby Jackson
    24 Hou Rodrick Rhodes
    25 NY John Thomas
    26 Mia Charles Smith
    27 Uta Jacque Vaughn
    28 Chi Keith Booth

Washington didn't get a pick because of Juwan Howard.

With a couple exceptions, it seems to me this whole class was a bust. What a terrible year. I think most of these guys are still in the league, but not many are any good. Biggest bust? It could be anyone between #2 and #6. Best deal is easily McGrady at #9. Best deal besides McGrady (and Duncan who is well worth #1) is Bobby Jackson.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Two All-NBA type players in McGrady and Duncan, some solid contributors, and a few hangers-on. I think that's more than a decent draft. Not every draft is going to be like Dream's.

3. drapg

drapg Member

This surely has to go down as one of the worst draft classes in history, in my opinion.

As for biggest bust, well you could go any number of ways. I'd say Van Horn. He was supposed to be the next Bird coming out of Utah. I remember watching him in college and being awed by his play. He led the Utes to an amazing season, culminated by a loss in the Elite Eight in the 1997 NCAA Tournament (If my memory serves me, but its been a while.)

He was actually drafted by Philadelphia, but traded on draft day to the Nets because Calipari was really high on him. He was so enamored that he was willing to take on the garbage that was Lucious Harris, Don MacLean, and Michael Cage just to grab Van Horn.

What puts it over the top for me is that Van Horn's talent is never questioned, but his heart. Teammates in NJ and now even in PHI are saying he doesn't seem to care when he's playing. I don't know how NBA scouts test that sort of thing (mental tests or what not), but if a guy has the talent but chooses not to use it... well that's the epitome of a bust in my mind.

Of course, its hard to argue with any of those top guys except Duncan, McGrady, and maybe Fortson (maybe.)

4. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

McGrady wasn't that good a deal either, at least for the team that drafted him.

And I recall reading at the time that some teams were leery of drafting him for that very reason (i.e., he wouldn't be that good until his contract ended, so you might well simply be developing him for his next team). Then again, given the lack of impact players after Duncan, it was probably worth the risk.

I disagree that Van Horn is a bust because of a lack of heart. Having had a front-row seat at the Joe Smith debacle in Golden State, I knew from the start that his severe tweenerdom (not nearly athletic enough for SF, not nearly strong enough for PF) was going to cause him problems.

#4 Swopa, Jan 9, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2003
  5. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

<b>2 NJ Keith Van Horn</b> -- I'd say he's somewhat of a bust for being a number 2 pick. For no. 2, I'd expect more out of the player. However, considering the lack of good players in this draft, it's not altogether horrible, but still not great. Agree with drapg on Van Horn's talent and lack of intensity. Van Horn's had a solid career though . . .
    <b>3 Bos Chauncey Billups</b> -- I'm not a big fan of Billups' game -- another pick I'd expect more from . . .

<b>4 Van Antonio Daniels</b> -- And IMO, here is one of the VERY BIGGEST busts. For a NUMBER FOUR PICK to get someone who's basically a below average backup is really disappointing

<b>5 Den Tony Battie</b> -- The busts keep continuing. Personally, I liked Darvin Ham's game better than Tony Battie's at Texas Tech, and while Tony's had a better NBA career, he in no way justifies his no. 5 pick.

<b>8 GS Adonal Foyle</b> -- The bad player parade continues . . . damn does he suck. Not a terrible shot-blocker though.

I'm tired of going through and analyzing every bust -- this would take all week!!! This draft sucked from 2 onward. BAD, BAD draft. I've got to give Kelvin Cato some props here -- he's at least a servicable player, which is more than you can say for half of the players taken before him.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, most of these guys are on contracts that extend them beyond the average lifespan of an NBA player....

What ever happened to Brevin Knight?

7. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Currently averaging 3.8 ppg for the Memphis Grizz.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Damn, this could easily be one of the worst draft years in a while. Yuck.

9. ScreamingRocketJet

I can't agree with the KVH critics. This is a guy who has averaged 19 and 9 all his career and made it to the play off's most years and the finals once, nearly always as his teams number one or two player.

This is a guy who is not particularly athletic and doesn't have anywhere NEAR Larry Bird's natural talent. He can shoot a three and he is white...so he got the next Bird label.

He is a very good, just behind all star level guy who'll get you 20 and 10 most nights. I don't call that a bust.

The talk about his 'heart' is crap also. They say that about Duncan also. It seems any guy who doesn't get physically agitated when his team loses 'lacks heart'.:rolleyes:

10. CY02

CY02 Member

Talking about bad draft class, 2000 must be the worst for the last 10 years or so.

1. Kenyon Martin , Cincinnati New Jersey
    2. Stromile Swift , LSU Vancouver
    3. Darius Miles , East St. Louis HS L.A. Clippers
    4. Marcus Fizer , Iowa State Chicago
    5. Mike Miller , Florida Orlando
    6. DerMarr Johnson , Cincinnati Atlanta
    7. Chris Mihm , Texas Chicago
    8. Jamal Crawford , Michigan Cleveland
    9. Joel Przybilla , Minnesota Houston
    10. Keyon Dooling , Missouri Orlando
    11. Jerome Moiso , UCLA Boston
    12. Etan Thomas , Syracuse Dallas
    13. Courtney Alexander , Fresno State Orlando

I can't see any HOFer or All-NBAer here and only 2-3 possible All-Stars (K-Mart, Miles, Mike Miller). A really pathetic class and I don't think I spoke too soon.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, we don't have to wait 3 more years to say the 2000 crop stinks.

12. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I wouldn't include Miles as a possible all-star. The guy has shown me absolutely nothing. What a draft.

13. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

You know, Cato at #15 looks like a steal for that draft now...

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

KVH is clearly the 3rd best player from that list and clearly better than all other top 8 picks except for #1 (Duncan, the one no brainer from the draft)--thus it is a pretty big stretch to say he is a "bust" being picked #2 that year.

Since the stinkers were well pointed out, especially, 3-4-5, I'll not add much there.

DA, MoT, Cato and Bobby J were all good picks relative to where they were taken that year, even if none are close to elites at their position.

15. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

96' draft (I think...) was quite amazing.

AI, Ray Allen, Kobe, Stephon Marbury, Pierce, Dirk

As I recall...

16. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

you're mixing up years. dirk and pierce were drafted in 98

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't really understand how people can say this was a horrible draft year. I mean granted, only two super stars came out of that draft, but it's a rare year that more than two super stars emerge from a draft. However, generally there at a few more star level players and in this draft, it's Tim Duncan, Tracy McGrady, Keith Van Horn and then a whole slew of bench players.

but in looking over that last, i only counted four that aren't still in the NBA. I'd say it's fairly remarkable that 24 out of 28 of those players are still in the NBA five years later when the most they are gaurunteed is a three year deal. Also, there are what? 8 or so that are key reserves for their teams? that's not bad at all.

my vote for biggest bust is Chauncey Billups.

18. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I agree totally. Huge bust, especially since they passed on TMac.

Funny story, Chauncey's brother called me on a sales call a few weeks ago for AIU online. They are an online college, get your degree in 10 months for 15 grand. I passed. :)

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Man I forgot about Rodrick Rhodes. I wonder whatever happened to him.

20. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member