1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 3/6/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 5, 2013.

1. TTNN

TTNN Member

My feeling this is more of a game plan, than game time decision. "Bev played well" or not is really arguable, same with TD earlier. Bev definitely had game better than this yet did not close a game, and Lin had game worse than this and does finish the game. I really don't think their performance matter too much. At least I don't see clear correlation.

2. 34to11

34to11 Member

As evidenced by all of those recent Knicks championships right?
    :rolleyes:

3. dmoneybangbang

And how many deflections did Bev have? He was a pest on defense....

As to Asik.... I find it funny people are blasting Mchale for not putting him in, but no one is blaming Asik for 4-11 in fts.... if he could have made 2 more fts.... and jame sharden make one more shot.... and Lin's 3pter counted.... we would have won. There are so many crazy combinations of what ifs in what amounts to a coin flip for a win.... Give it up.

4. art

art Member

chandler looked dejected/pissed right when the buzzer went off. havent seen him like that to be honest. it was after delfino missed. he wasnt mad at carlos, just upset at how the gm ended. dude didnt even touch the ball for like the final 5 minutes.

5. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

This team has a lot of talent, has beaten up on the eastern conference... and let's see where you guys finish up the season isn't over.

6. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

yeah yeah I know...I put that in a separate post..but my initial personal reaction was the loss was 'bogus' due to the substitions towards the end..i agree he is probably referring to the refs or the general outcome of the game.

When the Rockets went up 104-102 with 2 minutes left, McHale needed to go in lock-down defensive mode with the experienced offensive options. We needed Defense and Asik should've been in there for his defense and rebounding. I'm fine with TROB staying in as he had some good blocks.

We needed experience to close out the game and I would've had Lin handling the point (although put him in earlier). I understand the temptation to ISO harden but if the Rockets hunkered down on D and drove in the lane rather than depended on 3 pointers, the Rockets would've had a better chance of maintaining the lead. I

nstead we bricked 3s and allowed easy buckets to the Mavs. The Mavs were in the penalty for the last 5 minutes or so and Lin/Harden driving into the lane would've helped space the offense and created more open looks, assists or easy buckets. In stead, we gave up easy looks, failed to rebound when it counted, bricked 3s and ISoed Harden--who bricked. That is mainly on coaching.

I don't normally criticize McHale but his lineup to close out the game was questionable and he was playing the Harden ISO with little regard to any defensive sets and team ball.

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>All that said, I was saying at the time that he should go back to Asik/Lin. It just did not turn out to be the issue tonight.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/309534445642338304">March 7, 2013</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. New

Did you read his post? Do you only care about finding someone to BLAME?

9. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

forget the records and look at the decision making.
    you telling me pj carlesimo and larry drew are better coaches than doc rivers??

10. OpportunityCost

We're currently 7th because Harden is a superstar and at times gets a little help from his friends.

11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i got back from a soccer game and caught the final 5+ min of the game. here is my observation.

1) why is our P&R offense so bad? I should call them fake P&Rs. It didn't pick his defender to free harden or make them switch. The screen was none at all. t-rob just likes many drivers who run into a stop sign. supposed he should completely stop and then go if safe. in 5+ mins, i didn't see once he screened a harden's defender.

2) it seems to me harden didn't trust anyone. unless he was forced, he decided to go by himself no matter what.

3) i said again and again in the past. now i say one more time. delfino should not be allowed to play as a offense creator. his fancy pass to harden led to a TO at a critical time.

4) mchale finally learnt something. he put back asik to secure rb when dallas was trying ft. no matter what, he is learning.

12. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Was at the game....a lot of idiots talking smack as expected...that's when I asked the question...what seed are the Mavericks in? Oh....that's right!!

13. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

I like to catch flounder by hand at night with a flash light.:)

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

HOU didn't lose because Beverley or Robinson played in the 4th, but because of things happening earlier in the game, particularly on D and some hot shooting by Mavs.

If any factor can be blamed in crunch time, it is likely Harden letting Mayo loose for a few key jumpers. Harden is dealing with a knee injury and was trying to carry team on O, but he did not play tough D on Mayo.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What if both were playing well, but Beverley was playing a little better?

16. Hous-TO-n

Hous-TO-n Member

Jeremy Lin

GP FG% 3FG% FT% AST TO STL PTS eFG% TS% USG%
    26 54.2% 60.0% 78.9% 5 3 4 44 60.4% 68.0% 21.8%

James Harden

GP FG% 3FG% FT% AST TO STL PTS eFG% TS% USG%
    31 43.1% 29.4% 85.7% 12 11 4 98 47.5% 60.3% 37.9%

Carlos Delfino

GP FG% 3FG% FT% AST To STL PTS eFG% TS% USG%
    24 38.9% 33.3% 100% 4 1 1 21 45.0% 49.2% 14.5%

Patrick Beverly

GP FG% 3FG% FT% AST To STL PTS eFG% TS% USG%
    6 33.3% 50.0% / 1 1 0 6 50.0% 50.0% 19.6%

I think, you think, coach thinks, everyone dreams.
    Statistics of last 5 min this season

2 people like this.
  17. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

So McHale sits a guy that got you 37 points, 12 assists, on 14-24 FGs and 3-7 3ptFGs (I'm counting that 3 that was clearly shot before time expired) in 50 minutes on the two games against the same opponent, and you let him sit on the entire 4th quarter, for someone who got 9 points, 10 assists, on 2-7 FGs, and 0-1 on 3ptFGs in 48min played over the same stretch.

Good job McHale.

And LOHs say it was clearly a good decision. McHale shall not be blamed.

18. 34to11

34to11 Member

I never argued against Lin or Asik.
    I simply disagree with your assertion that going with T. Rob and Beverley down the stretch was inexplicable or clueless.

19. FlyingBeagles

FlyingBeagles Member

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
    One game plus/minus far from definitive, but FWIW, best plus/minus on Rockets tonight -- Robinson, Beverley, Delfino and Garcia.

FlyingBeagles ‏@flying_beagles
    @Jonathan_Feigen Definitely the Best Top 5 combinations with +44 (Asik, Harden, Lin, DMo, Parsons). Please relay to Coach.

20. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

So McHale sits a guy that got you 37 points, 12 assists, on 14-24 FGs and 3-7 3ptFGs (I'm counting that 3 that was clearly shot before time expired) in 50 minutes on the two games against the same opponent, and you let him sit on the entire 4th quarter, for someone who got 9 points, 10 assists, on 2-7 FGs, and 0-1 on 3ptFGs in 48min played over the same stretch.

Good job McHale.

And LOHs say it was clearly a good decision. McHale shall not be blamed.