1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ralph Sampson up for HOF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Mar 29, 2012.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes. I think he does because of his incredible college career, despite the lack of a championship, and I would include his play in the NBA, until injury left him a shell of what he once was.

I would like to see Guy Lewis get in first, however.

3. crash5179

As such a rabid fan of Phi Slamma Jamma and the fact that Elvin Hayes was one of the very first sports idles I had I have to agree. Guy Lewis did more for basketball both NBA and College just buy coaching and winning in the game against UCLA at the Astrodome.

I have no problem with Ralph in the Hall based on what he accomplished in college and as much as people like to write off his NBA career he did win ROY, All-Star Game MVP, hit the winning shot against LAL that sent the Rockets to the NBA championship game and had great stats prior to the injuries.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is too bad that Sampson never lived up to his potential in the NBA but his overall career should get him in. He was probably the greatest college player ever.

Cool story bro, his son, Ralph Sampson III, plays for the Golden Gophers and I've seen Ralph Sampson II at home games a few times. Unfortunately his son is nowhere close to the player his dad was.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I noticed Bill Fitch is a possibility. He probably won't get in because of his record but he was a great coach who helped rebuild the Rockets in the 1980's from the worst team in 1983 to the NBA Finals in 1986. His record doesn't reflect his skill as he took on a lot of troubled teams.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If you include college then sure.

DD

7. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Is there no separate HOF for college ball? If not then I guess you could make a a case for him but still I am not sure. HOF to me should be for the best of the best, game changers, top performers and with a hard work ethic and great off the court personality (involved with charities etc.).

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It is the "Basketball" Hall of Fame. Not "NBA" Hall of Fame.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No, there is not a separate HOF. He gets in based on college work. No reason to have combined HOF if college work can't get you in. Injuries in NBA do not diminish what he was in college.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Exactly, which is why Guy Lewis deserves to be in, as well as Ralph for his body of work in college, which was truly amazing (his brief NBA career is icing on the cake). Most people today look back on that period and think about Dream, but Sampson was a rock star nationally while going to Virginia. When the Rockets got him, they had that cover of Sports Illustrated that their championships had a hard time getting. Ralph made the cover of that rag multiple times, and probably held the record for a college star for years, if he doesn't still own it. I guess you had to be around then to get the full impact of just what Ralph Sampson meant to the college game, and to the Rockets when they drafted him. Gigantic doesn't do it justice.

11. crash5179

I would think Fitch would be a no brainier to get in. He's one of the all time winning coaches, he has taken multiple clubs to the NBA finals and has won an NBA championship.

12. crash5179

Pat Forde and Kobe Bryant will go in the same HoF. It's the Basketball HoF not the NBA HoF.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Ralph should definitely go to the HOF. Calvin Murphy was an NBA all-star only one time, but made the HOF because he also had an amazing college career.

Ralph had a short NBA career, but during that time he was an all-star four times, he was the 1984 rookie of the year, and he was the 1985 NBA all-star game MVP. When you look at his College and Pro career, how could you not vote him in?

14. BleedsRocketRed

There is a College Basketball HOF omn Kansas City. It's downtown near the Sprint Center

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Can't understand how boeheim and guys like that are in and guy lewis is not.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I imagine the majority of the voters are East coast guys.

John Chaney.. I mean really.