1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tim Ohlbrecht

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Commodore, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>He is playing extremely well, we have gr8 bigs @<a href="https://twitter.com/rgvvipers">rgvvipers</a> RT @<a href="https://twitter.com/COOPdeVILLE5">COOPdeVILLE5</a> Tim Ohlbrecht looks like a future prospect whats the word on him?</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/295579684719169537" data-datetime="2013-01-27T17:11:03+00:00">January 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    any thoughts on this guy? draft express lists him at 6'11 220 lbs

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm still learning the rules of the D-League, but I'm not sure the Rockets have any exclusive rights on him. Given how secretive the Rockets usually are, it's strange to see Morey praising a D-League player openly when (I would think) anyone could pick him up... but I don't know, and it's not like other teams don't pay constant attention to the NBDL.

He's 24 years old and wasn't drafted in the 2010 NBA Draft. Averaging 14.2 points on 61% from the field, 7.2 boards, 1.6 blocks in 27+ minutes this year with the Vipers. RGV got his rights in a trade with the Springfield Armor in November.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/riograndevalley/VipersTrade110512.html

He likes to finish around the basket...

[youtube]C01909nHSck[/youtube]

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've been impressed with Ohlbrecht from the minutes I've seen. I doubt he'll ever be a starter in t he NBA, but he seems like he could at least be a quality backup. He plays hard so I hope he'll one day get that chance. Even a few years of being a minimum contract player can change his life financially if he's smart with his money.

4. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Plays like a big. He keeps the ball up under the basket. He understands the movement of a big, but he seems to lack fundamentals. His screens are sloppy but he moves well when he slips the screen. I don't see him establish position deep in the post like in the video Clutch posted. I doubt he would be able to do that in the NBA anyway. Seems like he'd be a solid big man in the league.

5. proudfoot

proudfoot Member

He seems pretty good. We don't really have an open roster spot for him - but we might after we trade.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think there are any secrets in the D-League unless you're a pathetic organization. Most of the better teams (if not all) probably have scouts keeping tabs on Euro teenagers in podunk villages, so I doubt anything happening in the D-League gets by them.

7. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

I really can't wait for the day when we will be able to use the NBDL as a proper feeder to the big league club, with the ability to hold the rights of all players on the team - including Ohlbrecht - so we can develop them over time. Plus, imagine the array of interesting trades Daryl would be able to pull off with two rosters at his disposal!

8. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I think we should at least have a system where you can designate say 3 players who you hold on to the rights for, say up to 3 years.

This allows players to get a chance with other teams, and also prevents teams from holding a player in DLeague for such a long time such that the player doesn't get an NBA chance.

9. Raz

Raz Member

I know this guy from our national team. Kinda surprised he's doing that good with the Vipers, since he's never been impressive here.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Always felt like his game was more suited for the faster NBA pace because of his athleticsm and ability to stretch the floor, good decision to leave Europe.

11. Rocket Booster

D-League is a lot lower level of competition than the German League.

12. Nook

Nook Member

No it isn't.

13. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

[​IMG]

14. Raz

Raz Member

True, but he still looked awkward on several occasions. That's why I'm so surprised.

Maybe lower than Euroleague, but our local BBL? No way. BBL is in a growing process because in Bayern Munich they have a cash cow now. But still, the level is pretty damn low.

15. Rocket Booster

Yes it is. Much lower.

16. GIGO

GIGO Member

17. coweye

coweye Member

Beside of his skills he is a coachable player but i dont think that he would get alot of minutes with the Rockets because of our HC.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I would not be shocked if the Rockets gave him a call up after the trade deadline, once cap room is no longer an issue and maybe once the Vipers finishes their season, both to give him a look at the NBA and to financially compensate him for being a good soldier in RGV and giving up some European money to come to the US.

Also, who knows which of the bigs on the HOU roster will still be with up past trade deadline?

19. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

He reminds me of paul gasol. the way he plays. from the highlights. and i do know players in D-Leauge would be totally diff than the NBA. but maybe a little coaching and expreience in NBA and he could be a decent. worth giving him a chance. start him up as Back up C.

20. CertifiedTroll

The game I watched of him his movement stood out to me. For being that big he moves very very good. He seemed quick and had really good body control. Not sure about his skills other than being able to attack the basket though