1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron and Other Headliners for SDC 2013?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jjgfour, Feb 27, 2012.

1. jjgfour

jjgfour Member

With the decline of the NBA All-Star Slam Dunk Contest each year, do you think LeBron and other headliners participate next year? It's just wishful thinking, but I know the NBA wasn't pleased at all about this year's SDC. I have a feeling they're going to try and rejuvenate it... Minus Kenny Smith though. I'm glad he reps for Houston, but damn he was corny.

2. Mr. Space City

everybody wants lebron in the dunk contest even tho lebron said himself that he is not a creative dunker (same with d-rose)

people really want to see lebron do in-game generic tomahawks, windmills, and reverse dunks?

then people come on here and say that lebron was underwhelming after the contest.

sign guys like t-dub, james white, and air up there to 10-day contracts before the all-star game and have them represent a team in the dunk contest.

i mean they had jeremy evans win it who barely plays 6 minutes a game...why not?

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Make it so that fans vote in the dunk contestants on the all-star ballot. Players can opt out of consideration if they like, but many will think twice before doing so if their peers agree to be on the ballot.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Has any player ever done a backward, reverse windmill?

Like Dominique style except backwards.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The "he's not creative" talk is dumb, I'm tired of it. They know of their participation weeks ahead and you think they'd do in-game dunks because they are not "creative"? They don't want to embarass themselves and would get ton of feedback/suggestions from fans, teammates and other players. Even the most uncreative person would come up with two or three good dunks given the time and opportunities.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I agree. The bottleneck for a great dunk is athletic ability not creativity.

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Who needs creativity when you have money? Just buy an idea off of someone. You'd get the money right back in commercials.

8. King901

King901 Member

With the DC just being a popularity thing now, I doubt anyone is really going to be interested. Just wait to see what movie is coming out around that time so someone can dunk over the movie star...

9. jjgfour

jjgfour Member

I really think LeBron could do some creative stuff, but I think he's just shaken up about losing in it haha! I mean, as high as he gets he can do a lot. I think he's ducking it. Lol It would be dope as hell if they could get guys like Kenny Dobbs and T-Dub to participate.

10. jjgfour

jjgfour Member

That's a good idea! Might as well try it since they did fan voting via Twitter.

11. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

I like it! To add to that. I think they should just "up" the prize money. Winner gets 1 million and have half or maybe a quarter of that go to the charity of the winner's choice. I think the stars will do if the price is right.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't understand westbrook not being in it....he's crazy explosive AND likes the attention, what more does he need??

13. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I think its actually going the opposite direction, its starting to look more like a WWE event than anything having to do with basketball. In all honesty I was entertained, but if they're going to stick to this format they have to do a better job of keeping the best dunks till the end.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Lebron definitely wasn't creative in the Mcdonalds All-American game but I was impressed with how he was dunking in the pregame against the clips last year I think

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think for the likes of LerBon and Howard.. they should increase the rim's height like a few years ago when Dwight got kryptonited by midget Robinson.

Hell why not just do a 1-on-1 slam dunk showdown between LerBon and Howard with a 13-14(+) inch rim. Who wouldn't want to see that?

Why not have the SDC just be 1-on-1 showdown between two superstars or someone known for their dunks? I would like a MerGady vs Carter 7 years ago.

Howard vs LerBon
    Howard vs Griffin
    Wade vs Rose
    Iguadala vs Harden

If it's just 1-on-1 the NBA can hype the **** out of it. And it'll be more than just a slam dunk contest, but also an epic battle between two superstar characters. I mean even a simple windmill dunk could have more value... like Howard doing a windmill and then have Griffin do an even better windmill. So it would not just be about dunks, but who can do what better.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The more creative the dunk, the worse it is imo.

The reason nothing feels as good as the dunks of the 80's/90's is that those were amazing dunks. Not jumping over couch/car/motorcycle/people/chairs/blindfolded/etc.

This doesn't mean it can't still be creative. But make it a creative dunk, not a creative gimmick, plus a dunk.

Would a reverse double pump dunk be boring? If it was close in, with little power, probably. But if the jump started out from far away, if the pumps were solid strong, true pumps, and the dunk was a clean hard flush, it'd be great.

Even Evans two ball dunk. I admit it was impressive. A little gimmicky, but very impressive. But the evolution I would have preferred to see would have been him starting with 2 balls, running down the court, and doing a double windmill or something. Jumping over Gordon Haywood, in a chair, doesn't make it better, imo, and probably makes it easier - he was effectively just flushing down two balls that were in the air.

All the above said, I'd suggest:

1. No props allowed.

2. No other people allowed.

3. 3 attempts per dunk. 1 minute limit.

4. 6 contestants, 3 rounds. 2 dunks each round. Narrow down to 4 contestants after round 1. 2 finalists after round 2. That's 12+8+4 dunks. While that's a lot of dunks, you also have a lot less wasted time with all the gimmicks. You're up, you're time starts now, you have 1 minute.

5. Better / more famous dunkers would be great, though I think format is the first thing to fix. Better dunkers have at least participated recently - Dwight, Blake. I think fan voting for who to participate (subject to players opting in and the league narrowing that list to 12-18 players) makes sense. I think playing for a charity makes sense.

17. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

And just when I thought I couldn't dislike the guy anymore..... According to si.com Lebron said he would enter the dunk contest if there were a 1 million dollar cash prize. What a douche, he and wade deserve each other. Praying these ass clowns don't win a title.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Can you guys please go back to the "How to improve the Dunk contest" thread and stop posting here? Most of these thigns have been suggested there.