1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 3/6/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 5, 2013.

1. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

yeah but he doesn't tweet 'bogus' everytime they lose a close game...bogus is a term you use if there is some kind of 'wrong' or injustice..i'm assuming he didn't like the way the refs called the game? I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it was not because lin/Asik were benched in the 4th qtr but that is a bogus enough reason for me

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Uh ... duh. The refs.

3. zdrav

zdrav Member

Yeah, Lin sucks. It's not as if he was an integral part of the Rockets' demolishing of the Mavs just a few days ago or anything.

4. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

Games like this one just prove that Mchale isn't even a mediocre coach... you always stay true to your substitution patterns and you always play your starters down the stretch.. there are exceptions with a team like the Spurs where Manu comes off of the bench but plays in the crunch... or a guy like Odom the year he was the 6moy.

Any spark or energy you get from the bench shouldn't be a mandate on playing them until they provide no more spark.. it's too late then. You play your bench players and if they give you a little push which is all you want you still go with your best 5 down the stretch.. 4 to 5 minutes left. If they don't give you the spark you're looking you go to your starters sooner.

Then there is the issue is that the Rockets are a young team and you want this young core to get as much experience as possible learning how to close games together.

5. JustaFan

JustaFan Member

...And I don't want to hear the BS of they got us back from a 7 pt deficit. That's nothing in the NBA.

6. New

Is there a particular reason that Mchale usually runs small ball when the game is close in 4th quarter? Is that a proven strategy?

7. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

Wow, those are the 5 best players on the team, who would figure that their plus minus would be so high, what a coincidence...

8. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

Pls don't quote that guy, please.

9. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

What has McFail done to this team? Everyone is mad now. I missed the game because I have to take my wife to fish this evening.

10. dmoneybangbang

So we are currently 7th in the west b/c McHale is less than a mediocre coach.....? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

11. Fighton

Fighton Member

so.. it looks like both lin and asik are the only starters that have to audition for a spot in the 4th quarter every single game? and especially at PG, Bev is the default guy unless lin proves himself worthy to play in the 4th quarter? 'cause that's what it sounds like.

"i though patrick was doing well" - i saw the game and i thought lin did well for 3 quarters too.

just. doesn't. make. sense.

12. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

the new standard is as long as the team isnt getting blown out. Bev is a difference maker when it comes to hustle and defense....not when it comes to putting the ball in the bucket, which is what they needed more of down the stretch from other than HArden praying he'd get calls.

13. dmoneybangbang

Well we are sitting 7th in the west in a year where the playoffs looked dubious... but whatever.... Idiots going to be idiots.

14. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

Basically. I realize coaching is an art, but sometimes I think he has too much right brain going on -- until it's too late

15. torocan

torocan Member

First, I watched every minute of the game.

Second, while Beverly played solidly on the defensive end, he wasn't exactly lighting up the offensive end.

During the 4th quarter, Beverly had 3 assists, 2 turnovers, 1 steal, 1 block and 1 missed shot for Zero points.

He had single coverage during that entire 4th quarter, which is completely different to how they were playing Lin. Against Lin they were showing hard with double coverage as well as shading the PnR.

That doesn't necessarily means that Lin would have scored a ton, or had a better stat line in the fourth, however it does mean that Dallas' coverage would have had to be very different defensively.

While positions on Lin are across the spectrum on the forum, one reasonable statement is that he's young, inexperienced, and the sample size of his games in the NBA are not all that large.

By that same token, Beverley's sample size is even SMALLER, he's of similar age, and has even LESS experience in the NBA. This is aside from him playing far FEWER games with this roster and with this coach.

And you will note I also complained about the benching of Asik. If the worries were about "hack-Asik", then they should have substituted him in during the final 2 minutes when you can't foul off the ball.

McHale may have done a lot of good things as a coach, but I've had issues with his in-game rotations and adjustments all season.

I don't even worry about his play calling any more as Sampson said point blank that they call very few plays and rely on read and react in terms of offense.

If Lin was playing poorly, or Beverley was playing lights out I would have no issue with Lin being benched.

Asik and the small ball idea is something that I'm just going to disagree with especially when the game is as tight as it was going down the stretch. When the game is tight, you pack the paint, neutralize an opponent's half court offense and force them into perimeter shooting.

Asik is a big part of that. Not having him in, especially in the closing 3-4 minutes is in my view an error -- one that McHale has done in multiple games. And Dallas keeping Dirk in isn't exactly the pure definition of "small ball". Length, additional rebounding and the threat of additional shot blocking would have been very handy in my view.

Finally, nice shot trying to discredit my opinions because I like Lin as a player. I have also like Daryl Morey as a GM for much longer. I also happen to like Parsons, Asik and Harden as players. Does that make me a LMPAHOF? Or make my opinions any less worthy?

If you have a disagreement with the actual content of my posts, then say so. Attempting to discredit your opponent through character attacks is the weakest form of debate, and quite frankly shows a lack of strength of reasoned argument.

State your opinions, agree or disagree. You can take your snide sideways insults back to 3rd grade recess.

16. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

It's extremely rare that a bench role player will play the entire 4th quarter... Harden I can understand.. Kobe, Lebron.. sure but Patrick Beverly? Come on now.

17. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Had us winning against MIL though. Anyway, if my projection holds up, we'll go 13-7 with our final 20 games which would put us at 46 wins. (fingers crossed)

18. New

king1, iJHomes and 34to11.

19. nono

nono Member

Asik and Lin benched the entire 4th quarter when they were playing well. Ultra small ball rotation at the end of the game.

20. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Parsons mad Lin didn't play in the 4th quarter! :cool::p

1 person likes this.