1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dion Waiters

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I got a little flack from a couple of posters for mentioning on 610 that I like Dion Waiters so I wanted to make a case for this guy. I do like him... little concerned about his height (measured at 6-2.5 without shoes) given that I think he's a two only, so not sure if he's a starting shooting guard giving you 30-35 minutes a night, or a combo guard spark off the bench.

Still, when I watch him play, I'm impressed with his quickness, willingness to attack the basket and the fact that he's not a bad shooter (47.6% from the field, 36.3% from three-point range). Strong body that I think will be able to take contact well in the NBA. He doesn't take time off on the defensive end either. He reminds me of Vernon Maxwell, with a little of Kyle Lowry thrown in.

Jim Boeheim, his coach at Syracuse, compares him to Dwyane Wade, which is a huge stretch of course (and he adds all the disclaimers to that), but there is a similarity in how aggressive they both are.

I've never understood the point of teams "promising" to take a player, but if Waiters did get a promise as is being reported, I'm not surprised. I think there are other players I'd rather have, but I wouldn't be disappointed if the Rockets took Waiters.

(just realized -- song lyrics NSFW)
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FuNZyi1I9O8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FjV0IXg_Rjk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Well apparently he's already shut it down with a guarantee from a team most likely in the mid to late lottery. I dont see the Rockets as being the type of team that would give guarantee's before draft night due to the volitility of the trades that are likely to take place. Toronto seems like the culprit here if I had to make an educated guess.

3. delishman

delishman Member

So.. did he get a guarantee at 14? ;)

Otherwise sounds like he will be gone.

4. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Clutch,

I too have been screaming this for anyone who wants to listen.

Dion Waiters is the real deal. I wish the Rockets would select him.

5. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

He is a nice guy to have, but I'm glad that some comparable, or even better players will be available in lower picks.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Rockets are going to be wheeling and dealing too much to give a guarantee that late in the lottery. Unless its just a ploy by Waiters and his agent to build intrigue & mystery.

If there is a guarantee it would have to be one of these-

-Golden State - #7
    -Toronto- #8
    -Portland - #11
    -Phoenix - #13

Anything else seems highly unlikely.

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Son of Granville.... I presume?

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Morey supposedly doesn't make promises, according to players' agents. (shrug)

And what will we do next year with undersized 2-guard Llull?

Still, I wouldn't be stunned if we took Waiters. Didn't McHale have a propensity for drafting (or wanting to draft) undersized 2's / can-play-PG-maybe's while at Minnesota?

Randy Foye?

Would've taken Luther H. + #8 for the #6 (Brandon Roy failed trade)?

Ugh. Now I have to go check on this.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If we were good enough to only need a scoring 6th man, Waiters would be a heck of a pick. As the current team stands, however, I don't see the point in drafting Waiters.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ah, Granny.

Unless DDub can RUN a team then I don't see the excitement generated. Will he be selected over Lillard? Should he be?

#7 is supposedly decided. #8 up for grabs? #s2, 6, 10, 24 all moving parts? New guys in NOLA, Oh!lando, Po'land; Memphis (who decides what, I mean really???); Phx = Nash question?mark???

Man, this is a moving target right through...Dwight's trade? D-Will's signing? Plus KG; Roy to Lakes?

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm just not sold on the guy. I think height will be an issue. He doesn't appear to have DWade level athleticism... which isn't a huge knock... who does? I could be wrong, but I'd rather take a flyer on someone else. Like Terrence Ross. Who has true/better SG size, was a more efficient scorer, and also provided other intangibles - rebounding, passing, defense.

What does Waiters do better than Ross? Probably ball-handling?

12. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Waiters doesn't settle for jumpers as much as Ross, but Ross is a better shooter. Waiters gets to the free throw line and Ross struggles to get to the free throw line. And both can jump like crazy. Personally I'd like Ross more because of his crazy potential.

13. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

How many legit shooting guards are in the nba that are 6'2 or smaller? Size matters.

14. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

He is 6'4 with shoes he'll be fine.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

So Ishkabibbles is the secret behind the Beefy NBA Guard Club.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He looks ok, don't see DWade at all though.

DD

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

6'3 with shoes, most peoples real heights and "basketball heights" are different. D Wade is about 6'3, Eric Gordon is about 6'2.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Living where I do I caught more than a couple of his games. He looks real good, but I have seen so many players who look good in the Syracuse system just disappear in the NBA.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I wish Melo would just disappear. :rolleyes:

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I definitely see the resemblance to Wade, his athleticism may not be as high, but it may just be a shorter wingspan and height.