1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. craguin

craguin Member

He's paving the way for anyone with similar "health" issues to be overlooked by professional sports organizations when draft day rolls around. Nice job Royce.

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

All these tweets, but he won't come out and say exactly what he wants from the Rockets that they're not doing. Just spit it out and say exactly what you want so we can all understand.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

**Very rarely do you see things with a first round pick go south so quickly like this. Usually it takes time. A tough situation all around.

**Rockets are taking the right approach here, offering support. Looking at both stories, hard to not believe what the Rockets are putting out there. They want Royce to get well and succeed. No reason not to support him. Their focus is on him getting well & seeing a doctor and hopefully improving where trust is repaired. Right now, it's tough.

**Stigma involved with NBDL. Rockets are trying to be pioneers in overcoming that stigma. To the players, it's like going down to the minor leagues. Unlike baseball, it's not accepted. Roy Hibbert was upset because the Rockets mentioned that, drafting him and sending him there. He took great offense to that. Some players just do. We're seeing it expressed more in this situation with Royce. It's not the only situation. There are other issues. Coach-ability a question, even before this all came up. There is a need for him to go down to the D-League but it's a stigma in this league, almost an insult, especially to first round picks.

**Strength is the backcourt. Lin has struggled this year, so we haven't seen his skills on full display. This team, a lot of positives. You can lock in 2 pieces long term, Harden and you can make a case Asik is that. 2 very good pieces. There will be frustration because it's a young team and growth they have to show. More optimistic this year than last year.

**(Dream list) Kevin Love, that isn't happening any time soon. They need a guy who is an end piece for a PnR. They could use a big, strong PF who can score. They need scoring in the post. Looking at waiting to see who comes available. Depends on what happens around the league. Could use a PF who can score.

**I personally hope it's not Josh Smith. I don't like Smith for this team(although would be an upgrade). I would hope this team would take more of a long term approach. Smith is a FA after the season, along with I believe Millsap and Jefferson, those guys are potential short term fixes but need someone who is around longer.

4. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I feel like the guy can't even be honest with himself.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Bad move on the part of the Rockets to get him knowing his "issues." :( Sad situation for all, but... meh, there are more fish in the sea.
    That's what SHE said. :eek:

6. tofu--

tofu-- Member

He's an egotistical psychopath, and not the cool kind.

7. cbk41

cbk41 Member

8. carib

carib Member

Royce White signed a contract with his employers the Houston Rockets. They made some accommodations for him allowing him to travel by bus on certain occasions. If they ask him to go to practice, he must go to practice, if they ask him to sit on the bench during games, he must do so, if they ask him to see the Rockets appointed doctor he should also do so.

I don't think holding out of practice and complaining to the public is going to help mend his relationship with the Rockets.
    This is very unfortunate and I guess the Rockets can't do anything until he shows up for practice. Good luck to both parties.

9. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/houstonrockets">houstonrockets</a> Fining me for saying I'm more COMFORTABLE with my own Doc. vs yours is for sure showing "support" to my health. That's low!</p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/268872340010586112" data-datetime="2012-11-15T00:25:35+00:00">November 15, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. tofu--

tofu-- Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dude is making all those with anxiety disorder look so bad, my god.

11. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

Isn't the case that he's allowed to see anyone he wants just as long as he sees the team assigned doc? Does he not know his own contract?

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Again Royce.... its in the contract that YOU SIGNED. You MUST see a doctor appointed along with the players personal doctor.

And the fact that he's mentioning the fine.... so money does matter here I take it?

13. 757

757 Member

Did Royce actually post that calendar screenshot? Wow, and he says he's not being unprofessional.

When we drafted this guy, I really didn't know much about him, but the more I read and the more I saw of him, I couldn't help but to really like him, and to root for him. I have never had any kind of anxiety affliction, so I can't really identify with him, but still I hoped that the Rockets supported him throughout it all.

Even through the training camp stuff, I was still rooting for him. He and the Rockets can negotiate something that works for him, but still allows him to fulfill his professional obligations. No problem with what came out of it.

The stuff about him not getting playing time, it does kinda suck for a rookie, especially when they can look at most other teams in the league and see the kind of opportunities the other rookies are getting. However, the Rockets are a different story. None of the rookies have gotten an opportunity during the regular season, it's not like it's just him. If that's the problem, he needs to realize that the Rockets that likes to send their rooks to Rio Grande Valley so that they can develop their game there before really getting some significant playing time with the Rockets. They love the minor league system. He's a professional, and he has to remain professional no matter what. He shouldn't be complaining about not getting enough playing time.

I don't really know enough about the situation to comment about how much the Rockets have supported him, so I'll just refrain from doing so. I won't even mention his anxiety disorder, and how he's been using it throughout all of this.

My problem is how he's been tweeting like crazy for the past day or so. I'm kind of old school. When you have a job, you put your head down and work hard, that's it. Sure, things will come up that you may not like. When that happens, you go to your employer and talk to them privately. Those conversations are nobody else's business. Obviously playing professional sports is an infinitely more publicized work environment than the corporate environment is, so some of it you can't help. However, as of right now, the Rockets have issued one statement about their situation with Royce White. Royce has been tweeting nonstop. Royce, no matter what they say, no matter if they are straight up lying, you have to remain a professional, and deal with the matter privately. Trust me, it doesn't look good when you're talking about your employer like that on such a highly transparent medium like Twitter. You might not think you're being professional because you're standing up for yourself/those who share your affliction, but that's not at all the case. Forget about anxiety, that's not the issue here. It is EXTREMELY unprofessional to go on a public forum and essentially complain about your employer. Not only do they not want their matters with you to be public (and they are right in this sense), but prospective employers can also see your statements, and they won't want to be in that situation themselves, no matter your level of talent. My problem is not with your anxiety Royce, it's with your "transparency". I promise you, it won't get you anywhere you want to be. It's not helping you in the short-run, or in the long-run, so do yourself a favor and just stop. You're better than this Royce.

1 person likes this.
  14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

if he's so comfortable using twitter as the medium for his message, why does he keep deleting his comments?

15. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/houstonrockets">houstonrockets</a> Fining me for saying I'm more COMFORTABLE with my own Doc. vs yours is for sure showing "support" to my health. That's low!</p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/268872340010586112" data-datetime="2012-11-15T00:25:35+00:00">November 15, 2012</a></blockquote>

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes. However his personal doctor is in Minnesota so its not like he can just drive down I45 every afternoon to see him daily. This is Royce stretching for something... anything he can use in his defense.

17. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Royce FU and your doctor i hope rockets sue you

18. rocketblood713

Why dont they cut him ?

19. danny317

danny317 Member

this looks like the med center to me. I think the long buildings are UTH medical school. the building with the red roof tiles is memorial hermann. the court yard on the bottom right looks like the methodist.

from this vantage point, he may be in one of methodist hospital's professional building towers.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Royce, your ongoing attempt at taking truths and changing their context to suit yourself isnt the least bit clever or funny.