1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we just gonna ignore the monster season... OJ Mayo is having?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by crossover, Nov 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

At first I thought the first five games were a fluke... but could the guy be on pace for one of the 3pt performances in a season in NBA history? He's currently shooting 5.6 attempts, making 3.3 a game, at 58.2% after 12 games (and tonight just exploded for another 27 points).

How the heck did this guy reverse course so suddenly? Last year he was shooting an abysmal 40.8% FG and he looked like he had fallen off the cliff over the course of three seasons.

(And an off topic, but is this something Moreyball can never discover?)

2. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Different scenary he needed a different team.

3. VBG

VBG Member

Weird because he really cost Memphis the first round series last year.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

we're only 3 weeks in

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

He was always the x-factor in Memphis. Obviously he want keep up with those stats but not shocking that maybe he just needed a change of scenery

6. Raven

Raven Member

If you really want to puke, compare how much Harden cost us versus how much Mayo cost Dallas. Isn't Mayo suppose to be the exact type of pickup that a moneyball GM would make?

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I never understood why Memphis so abruptly cut his role from one season to the next

8. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Yes we will ignore it because OJ Mayo is after all a Dallas Maverick. Who really cares?

9. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Because he was coming off the bench and his playing time sporadically changed. He never got a chance to get in any type of rhythm.

1 person likes this.
  10. meh

meh Contributing Member

So you believe 5 games is a fluke, but 13 games is "a monster season"?

As for moneyball, it discovers that when a career 38% 3pt shooter shoots 58%, that is incredibly unlikely to continue. Same with a career 43% shooter shooting 49%. So yes, if Mayo an retain close to this level of efficiency for the rest of his career, then yes, Moreys head will probably explode

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure I remember the Rockets being involved in trade talks for Mayo last season...

12. David Stern

David Stern Member

Played one year of college ball. Dude has the talent to be a top 3 SG over the next decade. Always felt he would take off on a different team. Guy will easily score 20+ppg at a high efficiency level for the foreseeable future.

13. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

He's a lot like Harden but quite a bit cheaper..

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Harden cost us 2 SGs, who would likely be fighting with Mayo for PT if we got him instead.

Harden already proved his worth and has been playing at a high level the past 2-3 years. Mayo's currently shooting 3s at a high clip, but then again he's not acting as the first option in Dallas like Harden is here. Also, 13 games isn't exactly a large sample size, esp. when he played abysmally last year. Remember when Darren Collison was replicating CP3's stats in NO?

P.S. Dallas is also a moneyball team. If they targeted Mayo knowing he would blow up then its accounted for in their formulas (they got Rudy Fernandez last year on that same strategy).

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm going to ignore his monster season because we have Harden.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

They both can be the cream of the crop when it comes to SGs in the next 3-4 years.

No need to knock down one to prop up the other.

Harden does do more things though and is a bit younger, Mayo's age says he's nearing his prime and Harden's prime may be 3-4 years away. Harden does a lot of things well.

Any ways, Mayo is having a great season. Too bad it's for Dallas and I will now hate him.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Are we just going to ignore the monster season crossover is having? btw

Same with Jontro....(I think I deserve some Fap material for that plug...just post it conveniently in this thread ... and ... ready)

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Are we just going to ignore the monster season Martin is having then?

Martin
    17.8 pts (50% FG, 54% 3PT, 95% FT) 2.1 asts, 2.8 rebs, 1.3 stls, 1.8 tos in 30 mins

comparable to

Mayo
    22.2 pts (50% FG, 57% 3PT, 86% FT) 2.9 asts, 3.2 rebs, .7 stls, 2.5 tos in 35 mins

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Mark Cuban IS a moneyball-type GM. You often see Morey and him going after the same prey's because they both use advanced statistical analysis.

20. what

what Member

I'm proud of OJ and I am glad that he is in a system where he can shine. He was never going to be good in the grizzlies system because he hardly ever had complete freedom to shoot the ball like he does in dallas.

It will be interesting to see, when Dirk comes back, if mayo can continue this run.