1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unarmed black man killed by police officer after car crash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FishBulb913, Sep 16, 2013.

1. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/justice/police-shootings/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

the whites will never stop.

never.

3. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Sad story. Not much to debate though.

Hopefully, the person who called the cops knows that their assumption of violence led to a chain of events that destroyed multiple lives. The shooter is being charged, rather than the typical paid leave. Looks like things are proceeding as they should be.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'm surprised it took so long for this to get posted. I am sorry for the innocent man who got killed. Any riots yet?

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Keep your cell phone charged. I don't know that a homeowner hearing banging on their door that late should be expected to trust anyone. The cop might have bypassed some specific procedures when judging or addressing a possible threat; but if he identified as police and ordered "halt," I don't know what Ferrell was doing still running.

6. treeman

treeman Member

Sounds like a terrible episode, and I hope that justice is dealt if warranted to the cop who pulled the trigger. I for one would want to wait for more details, as something doesn't add up.

But why are we still pulling the race-baiting game? Hasn't this garbage been done to death? What does OP hope to prove, that there are still racists among us? No sh^t, and on both sides. Touche, wordsmith. :rolleyes:

Stop it already. It's been done to death.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Traffic cops and first responders shouldn't be carrying guns.

8. treeman

treeman Member

That's a fantastic recipe for lots of dead cops and first responders. :rolleyes:

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Clearly a mistitled thread. It should read...

White North Carolina Police Officer Shoots Unarmed Accident Victim Ten Times

1 person likes this.
  10. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

I wonder what the homeowner was thinking. I mean, I can understand not letting the guy into the home or don't trust him totally. But surely if someone's knocking at the door, your choice would be to call 911 and say someone's "breaking and entering."

I mean, just place a 911 call saying someone outside the door apparently need some help, and this would not have ended in tragedy.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It's up to the dispatcher and cops to interpret that; and would have probably been easier to do so if someone else in the area had called indicating they were in an accident. I empathize with the woman's fear and wouldn't try to vilify her actions.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Unfortunately feigning motorist distress is a fairly easy tactic for committing robberies or other roadside crimes; as Ennis Cosby's death can attest. What's more, the very threat of an arrest can spur anyone towards irrational, criminal and life-threatening behavior; so it's difficult to imagine any scenario where a cop shouldn't be fully armed.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not really vilifying the woman since I don't know what happened. Just found it odd that the police went in thinking "breaking and entering." Obviously the police are still definitely very much at fault here for how they interpreted the call.

Anyway, overall just a sad story and sad reflection on the amount of fear in today's society.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Why kill a cop if you know he isn't armed? No need to shoot the cop and drive off, just drive off.

16. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Yes, because we should judge policy on the rationality of criminals.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's certainly tragic, but when cops tell you to freeze, you freeze. They were responding to a breaking and entering in which people are often armed, the cops are gonna be trigger happy.

The cop deserves manslaughter, maybe more, but one can understand how something like this could unfold without it being just an evil racist cop.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

weer exceptionsal

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Don't blame the person who called the cops. I would call the cops too, if some big guy was banging on my door at 2 am. Blame the cops for watching too many episodes of Cops.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

people breaking and entering are not that often armed.