1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Recap: With offensive trends continuing, Rockets blown out in Game 1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. edlkf

edlkf Contributing Member

[youtube]opjci8k-ibE[/youtube]

“Believe it or not, I think this is good for us,”

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

After watching that game, I am thinking Lin/Beverley/Harden need to be on the court together a lot this series.

4. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Thanks Clutch. If you were Morey what's your course of action in the summer to have us ready for the next step?

6. gengar

gengar Member

Good read, thanks.

I think its inevitable we're going to lose this. They are a more athletic team, more experienced. Their bigs are much better than ours..Ibaka is really underrated top tier PF and super deadly shot-blocker. Westbrook is more athletic better scorer than Lin, Durant can actually get to rim without relying on calls unlike Harden while playing defense, and any high school coach can outcoach Mchale.

I'd prefer us getting swept 4-0 if it will trigger a coaching change or player mindset change to not play iso offense.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I won't get too low over this - I think we all knew for the past month that OKC was the absolute last team we wanted to face, and they blew a couple critical games (3/17, 4/15) that tumbled them back into the 8 seed. They're young and they're not quite ready to contend for anything yet.

The 1 and 4 spots are clearly still big issues for the offseason. Growth and development aren't very likely to be good enough.

But we're in the best position we have been in an extremely long time to put together a memorable team. I'm much happier about the state of things than I thought I would be 12 months ago.

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

regarding your sig... the chicken has an interest in breakfast, but the pig is commited. ;) lol

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree with Clutch. Something's messed up with Harden. He has not been the same guy we see during the first part of the season.

10. mario_v

mario_v Member

Mchale is an idiot. His offense is predicated on a free flowing, shooters spreading the floor type of offense. We CANNOT have Greg Smith and Asik as our starting big men.

They simply do not spread the floor. There is no room for Harden or lin to penetrate because Smith and Asik are clogging the paint. Harden said it himself. He said it felt like he was playing 5 vs 1.

We need better spacing! Start Jones. He's our best shot blocker. Play James Anderson, he's too good to be rotting on the bench. Never play Delfino at the 4! Eventhough D-mo is bad defensively and makes rookie mistakes, he needs to play about 15-20 minutes.

Look, we dont really have a shot at winning okc, but at least we can make things interesting and steal 2 games. And please Mchale, run a play or two....#mcfail

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

I agree that small ball is the way to go we probably should just start small. Smith & Jones can't be starters or see significant time neither can d-mo Start Carlos on Ibaka, parsons on KD, Lin harden Parsons. I don't like the Lin Harden Bev line up there are just way to many guys out there who need the ball in there hands to be effective & those three are poor off the ball players. Houston can't defend OKC, to win at least one game they have to out shoot them.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jones shoots 23% on his jump shots. Motiejunas shoots 30% on his jump shots. Neither shoots a respectable % outside of 10 feet from the basket-- and in Jones' case, outside of 3 feet from the basket.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/joneste01/shooting/2013/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/motiedo01/shooting/2013/

Not sure how they are supposed to space the floor by making OKC worry that much about either of them taking a shot more than 15-feet away from the basket.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

This makes no sense. You want to start Jones who can't hit 3's & complain about Greg clogging the paint? And why should we be playing D-mp 15-20 minutes he can't hit 3's either. If you want to spread the floor & force serge to guard the perimeter then you have to play carlos at the 4. Like you can't insult McHale & then proceed to make silly comments yourself. Let McHale make adjustments & see what he does in game 2, 3 & 4 before we start calling him a failure.

14. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

I hope this "mchale is an idiot" ***** stops what do you want him to do? Start Smith and clog up our lanes? Start Jones, who isn't a good shooter yet? Start Delfino who can spread it out, but watch as he has to cover PFs on D?

People here think some magical lineup is there that McHale doesn't see, but the realization is our team is FLAWED this is our downfall and there's nothing we can do. Stop blaming McHale

15. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Pretty much duplicated what Roxxy said, didnt see it. But what were saying is true

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You re-watched that game? :eek: Oh dear.

17. fuzzthetone

fuzzthetone Member

What I don't get is why harden was on the pg position again, leaving Jeremy and Beverly on the sg position? to me, it was like harden randomly deciding which position he wanted to play on every posession. I don't believe it was totally harden's idea. it was apparently the game plan from the coaching staff, because he played like he was entitled the right to do so throughout the game.
    Putting Beverly, Jeremy and harden on the court at the same time and let harden call the play was the weirdest thing that I have ever seen for the entire season, and seeing Ibaka and Perkins abuse our paint with our coaching staff sticking to the small ball lineup near the end of the second quarter was just so frustrating and heart- breaking..:mad:

18. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

A low 3pt% is better than what Greg Smith provided, which was accurately described by Clutch. Smith is a magnet for Ibaka... drawing him into the lane, and boosting his effectiveness as a shot blocker. At the very least, just play super-small w/ Garcia, Delfino, Brooks, and Anderson taking all the PF minutes. Ibaka may tear them up on the offensive end, which he started to do more in the second half, but I'm less worried about that than I am about the Rockets getting absolutely pummeled on both ends of the floor.

Besides, I think by watching Greg Smith get annihilated must have taught them all a few things about championship basketball. They all need to be able to stretch the floor for this offense, and they all need to play respectably on the defensive end either through good post, and help defense.

There was a blog post about what mattered in this series prior to it starting, since he knew it would be an emotional roller coaster. One thing that I was thinking last night, and today that he didn't mention:

****Our performance in this series could either make us more attractive to free agents by losing respectably and within the expectations the team set this year, or make us look like Morey's NBA Novelty Show that puts on a fun regular season show, but chokes in all facets of the game when it counts****

19. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Absolutely correct, but I can't believe we have any fighting chance with Smith on the floor. I think the other two options are both more desirable, and have the opportunity to deliver us a win in the series.

20. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Maybe the loss of PPat has hit him harder than expected. :p