1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matching up against the Lakers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff Who, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Obviously they are the best team in the leauge in the early season and it is gonna be tough for us to get a win, especially considering the fact that we haven't played well at all. They are favoured to win this one, but remember we are also a great team (maybe even better) but we just gotta make it together.

The difference right now is pretty much the same as it was early last year. They are playing well because they are hitting their shots. We maybe are not that bad either but we just don't make shots, that's it. They put the 2nd unit in and bench is so agressive with Farmar, Ariza. They are playing with a great effort and they are making shots. And it is not only Kobe, actually his role is not that big anymore.

They have played great defense so far too or maybe it is just the teams they played. Obviously 2xClippers, Portland and Denver is not a tough schedule.

Now I wanna look at matchups:

Yao - Bynum --> Well lately Yao hasn't play well at all. Bynum also hasn't been impressive but at least he is a monster inside and that is what I am afraid of. I mean Yao has had his troubles playing inside, he's been missing dunks, etc. Hopefully Yao will only play better and rebound well.

Scola - Gasol --> This is probably the only match up I am not afraid of. Scola's jumper has been money. He was obviously our best player in win against Clippers. And Luis knows Gasol so well and actually I belive he can shut him down.

Ron - Kobe --> Well finally we saw something good from Ron against Clips. It will be a game when Ron has to step up. Not only on defense but also on offense which will allow Tracy to do more. He gotta make sure Kobe's not going to the ft line, he need to make him a jumpshooter and as a team we can't be afraid of doubling Kobe. Offensivly he has to attack. He is too strong not to that.

McGrady - Odom --> Don't need to comment his game on Friday but he was obviously sick or something. Nobody expect that to happen again and I am sure it won't. Hopefullu his jumpers will only get better, but the main thing for him is to attack the basket. It just opens up so many things for this team, and now when he is hitting his free throws he is pretty much unstopable. Tracy, one advice for you, guard your man.

Rafer - Derek --> This one goes for the Lakers. Fisher is more consistant shooter but Rafer (the last two games) has improved a lot.

But the main thing is this game will be freethrows and rebounds. If we will be able to grab some on the offensve end control the defensive ones, than I belive we have a big chance of winning.

Free throws, well we all know that strory with Lakers. They have no problems with getting 40-45 times a game to the charity stripe and sometimes refs really help them (and they hate us). So we have to be careful and control the paint. If we limit their free throws shooting (especially Kobe's) than we will probably win.

Your thoughts?

2. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

Great points.

I would GUARANTEE a win if Battier was healthy. But since he's not, the Laker's stand a chance.
    Why so?
    Battier would guard Kobe, Artest would guard Odom, and McGrady would mainly focus on offense. Pau can be guarded by Yao is we try to insert Dorsey in, but if not, I think Scola can put stand his ground.

Let's see.

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Yao on Pau would be something like Yao on Boozer. Pau would kill Yao with his quickness especially now when Yao really looks slow. I belive Gasol is the best forward for Scola to guard.

5. getRED2008

getRED2008 Member

Bynum is overrated as well as yao. tbh yao can handle him pretty well, but gasol can kill yao no doubt. i mean pau prolly is teh worst matchup for yao and scola also has no answer to pau gasol. thats biggest problem for us, not kobe. and rafer>fisher, he could be teh key for us just liek during teh 22 winnin steak.

6. MONON

MONON Member

I disagree with your 1st "obviously" simply because of your 2nd "obviously". The Rockets would be 4-0 with that schedule(Lakers had Portland at LA) also. And don't anyone mention Utah (5-0) when talking about the best in the West. If the Jazz don't go 20-1 with their starting schedule, they might not make the playoffs!

Anyway, I really liked your comments; especially your position by position analysis. Great post.

7. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Great post but it doesn't matter. It all comes down to playing defense, because T-mac, Artest or Yao vs. Bynum, Pau or Kobe can all go 30+ a night. Since we have been terrible so far, not having any good rotation, no weakside help, not much charges being taken etc I expect a blowout by 10-20 points. The Lakers have had many days off to prepare for this one so that could work at either advantage.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i expect a similar game compared to the mavs game.

we will come out hot on their court.

and we have landry

9. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

WE DO NOT STAND A CHANCE IN THAT GAME TOMORROW. BOOK IT.

our engine is running now, but the pulley inside it is the wrong size, and we're lacking quality engine oil. Until we fix our engine, we cannot use a mustang to out-run a porsche.

10. shakegod

shakegod Rookie

very good point.Yao was in a low status the lastest 3 games.I real hope the real Yao come back this game.on some points,I think Scola start may have trouble in defending Gasol.maybe Adelman shall let Landry start.But those all depond on our coach,Bynum.as many guys say,he is overrated.There center is not so strong as many people say.
    But battle vs Lakers is a huge task.If we win the battle so we can prove our team is promising.we all have a heart for champion.
    Battier cant play is a pity.I real want to see Artest and Battier,but he appear at San Antonio or vs Hornets at home. :D

11. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I don't understand why most of you think that Scola will have troubles dealing with Gasol. I belive he can shut him down, as he once did in the olympics I belive.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Lakers start Radmonovic, not Odom. So that's who McGrady will likely be guarding. Expect Radman to burn us on perimeter shots. Either T-Mac or Artest need to take advantage of his defense.

The Lakers are a very good offensive rebounding team, and the Rockets have been a mediocre defensive rebounding team (and a terrible one without Yao on the floor). Expect that to be a problem.

This is a team Aaron Brooks can be successful against. But Scola and Landry could struggle against their length. The best matchup the Rockets have may be Yao versus Bynum/Gasol. If they want any chance of winning, he needs to play big.

13. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

The Lakers have had only one game in a week span to prepare for us. That's 3 days to watch our tendencies, create a game-plan, and be fresh for Sunday's game. I think that is a bigger factor than any of the match-ups.

We need McGrady and Yao to have big games since we don't have Shane; Artest may struggle offensively having to chase Kobe around. I'll just be happy if they keep the game close and if the team brings defensive intensity for multiple quarters. Leave the measuring up for later match-ups when the team has clicked chemistry wise and at full strength.

#13 rocketsregle, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  14. Tmac-is-numero1

Great job.

We need to contain kobe "jellybean" bryant and Mac needs to have a big night....i doubt rafer will be pulling us out of this one again.

15. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i'm not buying that T-Mac miraculously became sick over night, unless the AC was really cold in that hotel. i think he was just tired and used the towel over mouth technique to pretend he was sick so he wouldn't have to go play.

16. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

No no, he was sick and you have to belie it. You just don't play that way when you are tired. I mean McGrady usually even when he is tired or hot he tries to hel that team. He didn't want to do anything last night.

Btw Lakers have been shoting better from 3pt range than from the field. This is really gonna be a tough one. And it is not Kobe, it is the whole team. I am a little bit afraid because they play like a real team. I am sure we will beat them without any problems in January.

Lakers have been together for a longer time. This team is once again new without real chemistry. And chemistry wins games (look at our 22 game winning streak)

17. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Jordan Farmar and Vujacic were Xfactors last year

Well I honestly believe that...

Aaron Brooks is now = to Farmar in his contribution level

Brent Barry also gives us what Vujacic gives them

So here is my analysis

Yao = Bynum....at this point we have to assume Yao will play mediocre...but there is always hope

Scola < Gasol.... Gasol is playing well, but this matchup easily goes to him no matter how well Scola is playing

Artest = Kobe I know i know....not logical especially after I put Yao = Bynum

Heres my logic. Kobe will get his 20-30 points, but Ron will get his 16-24 points. If you factor in Artest's defense...I think we have ourselves an even match

Tracy Mcgrady > Ariza.....No way even with a bad Mcgrady day does Ariza play better

Derek Fisher = Alston ....Alston has not played that bad and the production from both of these guys has been mediocre in my opinion

Farmar = Brooks
    vujacic = Barry
    Odom > Landry....no comment needed lets just hope he has an off night

Walton < Hayes....slight advantage to Hayes for superior defense and hustle

18. redao

redao Member

Gasol is soft but when he is facing a softer Yao, he will man up and get dunks.

The macthing up does not looking good.

19. achu411

achu411 Member

yeah so what? He was just resting pretending to be sick.. so what? we got a W and T-Mac got rest... thats all that matters... He will show up next game. period

20. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I remember the Olympics. I watched the 4th guater of China-Spain Game. Gasol was great, he played smart. He beat Yao off the dribble for a dunk and than for a layup and the foul.