1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

The Houston coach calls his playmaker “a home run hitter,” and doesn’t mean that in a good way.

“Sometimes he’d rather have 29 points and nine turnovers and I tell him, ‘Jeremy, we’re trying to win,’ ” McHale said.

Sauce

We need more Lin threads 'round here :p
    Seriously though, this comment was made by Coach McHale stood out and I want to know what you guys make of it.
    This comment comes the day after the win over OKC when Jeremy got 29pts on 22 shots (most taken on the team).
    Do you guys think he shoots too much?

Is this why he's hesitant to keep shooting even when he's got his shot going, trying to focus more on playmaking? :confused: I personally find it frustrating (no, not because I want my "precious" Lin to get his points) but I know that's his game, in NY he was very unselfish but you better believe he was always looking for his own shot :p

I don't know, Coach McHale confuses me. :confused:

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Now everyone is going to hate on Mchale for being hard on Lin. Pop did the same thing with Parker throughout his career and now look at him.

3. FearTheBeardJH

He is either has to shoot better or less. 52 TS% isn't going to cut it, especially when you have such an efficient teammates.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Confirms what perceptive Rockets fans have seen all along and what LOH brush off as ramblings by LOF, that McHale is telling Lin not to play his aggressive style of game and instead play a Derek Fisher role.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Its not about shooting. Its about decision making. Sometimes Lin makes dumb decisions. He dribbles into a crowd of people with nowhere to go and picks up his dribble.

2 people like this.
  6. joesr

joesr Member

dont understand why this confuses you....

7. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Should aim for 29 points and 3-4 turnovers!

8. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

I don't think McHale understands that most turnovers on "home run" plays are just like a missed shot. Old school guys can't get around that concept. Turning it over in the backcourt, though, is awful since it usually leads to a high % shot for the other team.
    Getting your teammate a 100% FG attempt followed by a turnover is the same as getting your teammate 2 50% looks.
    Ultimately of course the good PGs get those home run plays and limit their turnovers. But the idea you don't turn it over and play safe isn't sound.

9. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

WTF with 9 TO's - where did that come from? The most Lin ever had in a game was 7 and the Knicks won. Those two do not conflict with each other. I am confused by McHale too.

1 person likes this.
  10. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

*Not including that infamous Miami game that is.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I wonder if by home run plays McHale's referring to those full court football passes that Jeremy never connects on.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

52% true shooting percentage isn't bad at all. It's not great but it's certainly not to the point where you're saying "shoot less".

13. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

This.

Context is key here. McHale made those comments after the Nets game, in the context of Lin being "a home run hitter".
    McHale isn't accusing Lin of actually being selfish, but rather being too careless.

I already commented on this in the Fire McHale thread:

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

You were hungry while making this thread o_O?

15. pnr

pnr Member

Uh.. Exaggeration much.. Those passes are usually 50 50 and if successful
    Is basically a 90% guaranteed shot. He needs to keep making those passes.

16. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Right, why did we get Lin again??? Dude was never a spot up shooter

17. FearTheBeardJH

It's not terrible, but it is the point where you say shoot less, because it's below league average.

18. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

I always gave Mcfail and Sampson the benefit of the doubt but after this comment, I think we should just trade Lin. He will never be used the right way in this team.

19. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Illness or not, I think McHale's comment has a lot more to do with Lin's performance in the last two games.

20. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Lin needs to do throw some tantrum like Lowry and get himself traded. Better for both rockets and for Lin.