1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Yao Ming is Retiring

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Im Just Sayin, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

I'm an attention w**** for stating the truth? LOL

Yao didn't make our team better. Instead we wasted many years hoping he would get healthy. We also never even tried to trade him b/c he was a "cash cow". In the NBA the only thing that matters is a championship. Nothing else. I'm sorry if I care more about the Rockets as a team than any one player. The truth hurts bro. Don't hate me for stating the truth.

2. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Sounds like a lot of opinion

3. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Fact: The rockets built around Yao and didn't win a championship

Fact: The rockets gambled on Yao to get healthy and continued to build around him.

Opinion: The rockets didn't trade Yao because he was a cash cow. (Most people will agree that this a very educated guess)

Opinion: The rockets didn't win anything because we lay our hopes in Yao Ming. (Again this is reasonable conclusion based on Fact 1 & 2)

So again I say, the best thing Yao Ming has done for the rockets is retire. Because it didn't seem like the rockets were very interested in trading him. We can finally move on and build a real team.

4. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Take a break..the guy's retiring, he tried his best. Most other players would've given up a long time ago.
    Show some respect.

5. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

Even though it shouldn't have been a surprise, it's still a painful shocker to me. Not to be melodramatic, but it's kind of like what you might feel after a loved one dies after a prolonged battle with cancer.

I was still holding out hope to see these again...
    -The lethal turnaround jumper
    -The right-handed jump hook
    -The quick baseline spin move and lay-in
    -The O-rebound and dunk
    -The pick-and-fade jumper shot
    -The elbow pass to the cutter at the basket
    -The low post kick out for the three
    -The 9.5' standing reach in the defensive lane
    -The intensity, the grace and the class

I was hoping to see it again, at least for a little while. At least we'll have the memories.

And you know what? Winning a title is not all that matters. The joy of the game matters too. And Yao brought a lot of joy to a lot of people.

Love you, Yao. Thanks for all that you've done and continue to do.

6. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

This was so bittersweet because this was a serious scenario that we all saw coming but never expected to actually see it actually happen

7. BrooksnLowry

BrooksnLowry Member

anyone have that old Yao pic with the words "FOCUS" and it shows him staring at a cheerleader? Please post if you do ! THANKS!!!

8. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

That's bullcrap. Everyone says that NBA is a business. How do you evaluate the success or failure of a business? Money! If a boss could earn money from his team, that's a success; otherwise a failure. An NBA owner could win many times of championship but lose billions of dollars with that team, that's a loser, period. It's like a software engineer might have the best skills, but so what? If he earns must less than his co-worker(even though the co-worker is less skillful than him), the guy is still a loser.

9. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

My only regret was that he spent his best years playing with Mclazy. Wasted years, he was a great guy. Good luck Yao, we already miss you.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

For once can't we all stop referring to Yao as a "cash cow?".

People on this board need to educate themselves a little bit more instead of vomiting their opinions all over the place.

Revenue sharing-

The money that was made from China through tv deals, endorsements, etc. Gets shared between The entire league. The only Chinese endorsements that the Rockets profited on directly were adds and marketing that were within the confines of the Toyota center. This accounted for about 5 percent of Toyota Center revenues. You could argue that possibly only a part of that was from Yao's presence.

The reason behind sticking with Yao-

With a Healthy Yao, they were a championship contender.

Was it a gamble? Absolutely. Would any NBA team take that gamble.... Absolutely.

The fact of the matter is Yao's presence on the bench in a suite or a uniform the past two seasons hasn't made a difference either way in the future success of the Rockets.

Having Yao's salary off the books didn't even matter because there wasn't a star to be had in free agency. Trading for a star was not a success because again, there wasn't one to be had. Yao's contract only helped their case for a blockbuster deal that didn't happen.

So where did Yao leave the Rockets?

The same place they would be regardless..... Rebuilding through young talent. Acquiring prospects through trade and the draft. You argue that they should have traded Yao back in 07, but you would be completely wrong in your motive. Your going to trade your superstar who is the best center in the league for what? Michael Redd or Rashard Lewis? Maybe they could have gotten the 2009 first round pick from the Clippers to get Griffin, or maybe they would have gotten Rashard Lewis and be worse off... Who knows.

Would the Rockets be that much better off without Yao the past two or three years... No? Did the Rockets have success with Yao the seasons beforehand...to a certain extent, they never won it all but they were an exciting contending team with the leagues best center in the world. I would gamble with those odds any day.

Rockets fans should just be celebrating the fact that they were able to be a part of Yaomania from his great first years in the NBA, Charles Barkley kissing an ass, and the heartbreaking series a couple years ago when Yao played his last meaningful basketball minutes on a broken foot to almost upset the world champion Lakers.

Yao, you will be missed.

1 person likes this.
  11. VanityHalfBlack

That's how it is with all franchise/superstar players... You say you care about the Rockets??? Sounds like more negativity to me... If you love and care for the Rockets, you suppose to show some compassion through the bad times and good times... It looks like you're criticizing more than anything, Yao is gone, what's next do you have to complain about??

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Just noticed the pun in the title. Props to OP for his wit.

13. zoids

zoids Member

Wow, what a bunch of bull crap.

Hindsights are not Facts. Get it out of your system, too much hate blinded you obviously.

Rockets failed to find the remaining piece to win the champ. They sure did try and we saw some result, just unfortunately not reaching there for not just Yao's own injury problems, but everyone else' injuries... remember how many other players got injured at the key moments in our years of playoff runs? It's like every year at the key moment we miss our regular player to injuries, not just Yao. When Yao's ready, it's someone else.

No one ever did it by himself except the Dream (not even MJ). And we knew Yao will never be as good as the Dream even at his prime due to lack of agility and explosiveness. Yao did get the team better and Yao was dominating Shaq and Dwight Howard. He could have done it if not wrong timing and not enough support and the wrong training. Yao should never get bulked up to the point he lost all the little speed he ever get in his rookie years and his versatilie offensive weapons. He should have never be forced into a low post wait for the ball then hookshot and turnaround jump shooter.

I want my rookie year dreamshake and mid range jump shots back at least if not 3 pointers too!!!

14. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

funny how some people who haven't seen the Rockets' bottom line come up with their own conclusions on things.

For a while now, Yao's financial impact for the NBA has far exceeded his impact on the Rockets individual franchise.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They're not talking about NBA dollars when they talk about Yao being a cash cow. Alexander had zero business interests in China before 2002...since then, he's involved in a ton of very lucrative business deals. Yao has been a gateway for him to public/private partnerships there he wouldn't be exposed to otherwise...i posted this before

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=5794881&postcount=25

i'm just gonna say it:

i think other NBA owners...wealthy men...might bring him on so they can see if some of his magic works on them...something like the opportunities below.

but these opportunities are exactly why Les isn't going to trade Yao...at least I don't think he will. HIs business interests in China are considerable and diverse at this point...all of this happened since we drafted Yao. He literally started Rocket Capital Investment to take advantage of this.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/communit...307773-822.html

After six years of cultivation, Alexander launched Leslie Wine in 2008, which is currently selling four exceptional 2007 vintage wines exclusively in China.

http://www.mlive.com/business/ambiz...40805182170.xml

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=146352

In the latest venture through his Rocket Capital Investment company, Alexander has teamed up with San Antonio billionaire Billy Joe "Red" McCombs. The joint venture has invested in Brilliance China Automotive Holdings Ltd., one of the country's largest automakers.

Alexander's other holdings in China range from railways to mining, but the automotive deal represents his largest direct investment in a publicly traded Chinese company.

Kenneth Huang is the key executive behind the scenes at Alexander's company. The managing director and senior partner of Rocket Capital was the first college graduate from China to work at the New York Stock Exchange in the 1980s.

Huang now focuses on partnering deals for investments in major Chinese state-owned and private enterprises. He met Alexander through SportsCorp China, formed by Huang to promote closer sports and sponsorship ties with the United States. SportsCorp China players include the Houston Rockets, the National Basketball Association and the New York Yankees.

http://chinalegal.blogspot.com/2008...-hong-kong.html

. Rocket Capital Investment

The firm was established by the mainland basketball star Yao Ming's finder of Leslie Alexander, to cash in on his new mainland business connections. Mr. Alexander is its sole investor, and Forbes magazine estimates his worth at US$1.5 billion.

In 2007, the firm poured US$200 million into some of Hong Kong's biggest IPOs. In 2008, the firm is planning to invest another US$200 million to focus instead on buying listed shares and making other types of investments, but will be more careful this year, according to its managing director of Kenneth Huang...

#375 MadMax, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  16. dobro1229

Yes, I understand. This argument has been beaten to death, and yes Les Alexander has benefited from Yao being on the roster with his international business ventures. Nobody is denying that.

The fact of the matter is that the Rockets and Les Alexander benefit more from Yao Ming, the dominant center, than Yao Ming, the Asian celebrity. People on this board think that Leslie making money off of his "cash cow" outweighed the value he had on the basketball court by making the team an instant contender. The money from Chinese endorsements, etc. benefits the entire NBA, not just the Rockets directely.

If they traded Yao back in 06, or 07 it would not have made sense on the basketball court first and foremost. Post 08/09 when his injuries proved to be truely "risky" there was nothing of true value the Rockets could have gotten from Yao in trade. Last season, they openly admitted to trying to move his contract with his approval. Something that could have turned the Chinese media against the Rockets, and damaged Les' image in China due to being the owner of the Rockets that "turned their back on Yao." If Yao would have been traded, and rehabed his way back on the court with another team, this was a risk that could have blown up in the face of Les and the Rockets.

And the fact that Yao Ming has not played in the past two seasons really has not hampered the franchise as much as it has been speculated since the Rockets still chased after max dollar free agents (Bosh, etc.) and have still been players to upgrade the team through trade, or draft. Their draft position would still be the same with Yao Ming on or off the roster the past two years.

Therefore, gambling on Yao Ming has been a low risk, high reward scenario and was still the right decision to make, as if they really had any other decisions to be made past 2009. Prior to 2009, Yao Ming, the best center in the NBA, was well worth the risk.

#376 dobro1229, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  17. dobro1229

Exactly.

Opinionated indivduals on this board seem to think that Les Alexander has more interest in a Winery in China than he does with winning an NBA title.

Heres a newsflash... Les Alexander is an entreprenuer. He is interested in wine. He created a wine business in China... big deal. Any sole investors on the stock market would be making deals in China regardless. You dont need Yao to make money off of Chinese financial investments. Did having Yao open doors for Leslie help? Yes of course, but making money on business ventures is something he would be doing regardless.

Did he make a few million dollars overseas on wine and real estate?... yes...

Les Alexander's interest in winning a NBA championship.... PRICELESS.

18. Know Your Role

The organization is to blame 10000x more than Yao or even Tmac. They brought in such talent as Juwan Howard, Vin Baker, David Wesley, Clearance Weatherspood, Bob Sura, want me to keep listing the most god awful players of the 90's and 00's that were brought here? By 08-09 that was all fixed and those guys were gone. We competed that season but Yao got hurt and we didnt go. You can't blame a guy for trying his hardest.

Note: Juwan Howard is still holding back good NBA teams as he is on the Heat. Once the Heat let Juwan go they will be able to get that ring lol. He is that worthless.

19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Will miss Yao, he was a quality person on and off the court, hope we continue to get guys with similar attributes. I hope this tradition of quality centers continues...

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

How can you or anyone say for certain that Les Alexander is interested in winning an NBA Championship? Exactly where is your evidence to support this claim? If I go back 17 years to their last NBA title, I see an organization in a pronounced state of drift into NBA mediocrity. During this time period, exactly when did Les the owner come out and state that such a situation was intolerable? More importantly, exactly what moves did Les the owner make to address the situation? When did we ever see him hold his organization accountable for the years of bad trades, bad drafts and blown NBA lotto appearances? Sure, he's proven that he can fire coaches with the best of them but please show us where scapegoating the head coach improved their chances for bringing another title to Houston.

Living in Dallas, I consider Mark Cuban to be one of the biggest goobers alive but the one thing about Mark you can't dispute is his desire and passion for winning a title. Same thing with Buss in LA, Holt in San Antonio and even Arison in Miami. And you want to include Les Alexander in that group? Really? With Les, all I've seen from him is years of smiling and waving to the crowds while he has ridden the Yao Ming train all the way to the bank. And I see no indication that this latest episode with McHale and Morey will produce anything different by way of results. Two or three years from now, I fully expect the Rockets to be exactly where they are today - where they have been for the past 11 years: on the outside looking in. Of course Les will be there holding another press conference at the TC to announce a new Rockets' coach after firing McHale. You gotta love that Rockets' version of Groundhog Day.

I am not saying that Les Alexander was supposed to be some sort of basketball genius because that is not his job. But it is the owner sets the tone AND the direction for his franchise. It is the owner who is responsible for setting up a competent organization to manage the affairs of his franchise and you can tell a lot about an owner by the way he approaches these duties. Les has either been negligent or simply missing in action for the better part of 17 years now maybe that's good enough for folks like yourself but definitely not for any Rockets' fan who want to see this team actually WIN something and not continue to offer up excuses and whatifs for falling short. Oh yes, the numbers show that Les the owner has been a success financially - especially with Yao Ming opening the door to those Chinese business opportunities but on the basketball court where it matters, the results speak otherwise and do so quite loudly.