1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey Q&A: Expect Asik to remain a Rocket for duration of contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jan 25, 2014.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This and loads of other nuggets (D-Mo trade talks, Parsons' contract, playoff matchups, etc.) from Morey's season-ticket holder Q&A session at Toyota Center last night. Of course we don't know what the private stance is, but he's being very strong publicly.

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/daryl-morey-omer-asik-rockets/

#1 The Cat, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. aball1991

aball1991 Member

3. Play07

Play07 Member

everytjme Morley does one of these I never get a invite. I've been a lower level season ticket holder since 2011. Is this only for club ticket season holders or floor seat season ticket holders ?

I got a invite to all the other events, x-mas party with players, Halloween event, got my harden jersey for resigning, the breakfast with the tour of the new locker room when they played pacers over seas during preseason.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

Teams aren’t going to give away better players than the ones we have. The Celtics won the title with a first-year starting point guard [Rajon Rondo in 2007-08]. It’s definitely possible to do it.

(In a separate question on recent Rondo trade speculation to Houston, Morey declined comment.)

-interesting RONDO's name was brought up a rockets event.

5. jbasket

jbasket Member

Anybody can provide a transcript? Will rep.

Edit: Just kidding, I am stupid.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Awesome interview!

A couple of cool things that I got out of that interview:

- Chandler will get A LOT of money and the Rockets plan on keeping him
    - Other teams interested in DMo

7. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Morey will trade for a player that nobody is talking about. I hear Josh Smith maybe on the trading block. He is not a fit playing SF. I wouldn't be surprised if Morey attempted to trade for him.

8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

we need omer asik if we want to contend for a championship.

1 person likes this.
  9. Raven

Raven Member

Let's hope he's bluffing, because 8 million is a lot of dead weight to be carrying on the roster.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

he's lying through his teeth. Don't understand why he always plays these stupid mindgames.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He probably doesn't want to get pounded with lowball offers. If teams perceive we are desperate to trade him, they will be less likely to offer worthwhile deals. Just my opinion of course as none of us know how much opposing GM's actually know behind the scenes. For all we know, GM's could be working with the NSA! I am joking of course, please don't take that comment seriously!

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I see what you are saying but I don't think opposing GMs are that dumb. Most of us on CFs can see that Asik has put Morey in a pickle, if he wants to win in this window of Harden & Howard he better get something in return...or you get seasons like 04-05 again.

13. basketballholic

I don't think so. He's just making assumptions that are not disclosed. Those assumptions are:

1. They get Asik back on board and he plays like last year backing up Dwight.

and

2. He gets a tweak trade at the deadline or a free agent signing down the stretch for a guy that can defend on the perimeter and shoot the heck out of the ball.

If we got back Asik back to playing at last year's level and we got another guy that can allow Chandler to play the 4 and be an upgrade from Garcia/Casspi then we could be better than everyone but OKC.

Now to get past OKC....he's saying we gotta have more than just Asik back and some little tweak trade or signing for another 3&D perimeter guy.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

There is a huge difference between assuming something though and seeing it published by the media. All GM's play these smoke and mirror games. Just part of the business, is all.

15. rocketsmetalspd

Morey is selling snake oil once again. This guy never shows his hand and has one great poker face. I will believe it after the Feb. 20th trading deadline.

16. Entropy

Entropy Member

Asik and Lin's contract have put Morey into a bind. I can easily see them both riding out their contracts, and this team suffering because of it. So yeah, first round exits here we go.

17. Lovemachine2000

“The other day, when Terrence wasn’t playing, I thought Coach McHale’s dog had been shot by the look on his face. Because Terrence has really been saving us. We’re excited to have him back.”

Terrence Jones is McHale's Dawg, yo! :D

I love Basketball Jones.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It's always funny reading post about Morey's comments being duplicitous in nature. IMO Morey has always been forthcoming about his intentions with the team and what he is thinking of doing with trades. when we didn't have Howard or Harden Morey would routinely call all the players on the roster "assets". When we picked up Trevor Ariza/Kevin Martin/Royce White he didn't try to sell the fans on them being a stars, he hoped they would turn into some. I dont understand what some of you want from this guy. Can someone point me to a time when he has been disingenuous with the fan base or other GMs?

2 people like this.
  19. NotChandlerParsons

Honestly given that he seems to get the better of most trades, I dont mind it. Don't know that it actually helps but hey.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He has said at like the last 3 trade deadlines that nothing was goin to happen, and had ended up making a trade evey deadline. I think my minds a little cloudy.