1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey: Rockets lack third-best player on a championship team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jan 15, 2014.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

bye bye Parsons

Parsons has the ability to become the 3rd star. He's improving every year, but not likely this year.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It's true. As much as I like Parsons, he is NOT a star. I think he will end up as a borderline all-star however, depending on how he further expands his game.

4. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

I'm firmly of the belief that Parsons, Lin or Asik can develop into that third guy

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets can keep Parson while adding that 3rd star but it's harder to do if they don't trade Lin & Asik now.

6. boiler

boiler Member

Does Morey truly believe Lin or Jones could become that "No.3 star" or was he just trying to talk up their trade value?

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all are saying "star". Expensive word. Not sure teams like ours can afford 3 of those anymore.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Parsons faints

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

They are the only ones who still have hope. D-Mo is garbage. AB is hot garbage when his shot is cold. Garcia, Casspi, and PBev are who they are. Personally, I feel T-Jones has the highest ceiling, but Parsons is by far the furthest along in terms of development.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Lip service to Parsons.

It appears the strategy is to make a move that allows them to keep Parsons.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

That's just talk. No one really believes that. (Do they?)

13. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

:grin:

But this pretty much confirms That Morey is going After another Max Guy,Problem is LMA wants to stay in Portland and KLove will sign with L.A

So lets go After Bosh!

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

As far as I'm concerned, Parsons already is a 3rd star on the offensive end and just needs to tighten up his defense to be this team's 3rd star.

Harden is always going to have to guard the worst SG/SF on the floor, and that means Parsons must guard the best SG/SF. His defense has regressed while his offense has flourished - to me that means he has barely improved. We can always grab a scorer at the 4 or off the bench, but there is one constant and that constant is that the Small Forward on this team has to be an excellent defender. Let's see if Parsons is able to achieve that. I'm optimistic.

OTOH Lin is already a 3rd best player on a championship team however his skills don't mesh well at all with our top 2 guys. Harden is a better pick and roll player, gets to the FT line better and handles the ball most of the time. It's an unfortunate situation for Lin, but what I've seen from him when he comes off the bench is phenomenal. When he is given the ball and told to attack, he does really really well.

Having said all that, I would trade a package of Asik, Lin and Parsons for a top 5 PF and allow Garcia/Brewer to take over the 3 spot. I think Garcia and Brewer can man the 3 spot for a team with 3 stars.

15. RocketPowerNick

J LIN the 3rd star

2 people like this.
  16. Sen89

Sen89 Member

This is surprising to hear. Would we be better if we acquired a stud who made Parsons our 4th best player? Of course we would. But is there such a remarkable drop-off from our #2 to our #3 that it's worth mentioning as a primary problem for our franchise? No way.

Compare it to other top teams...our top 3 has been pretty balanced in terms of value added.

By Win Shares

Houston
    #1: Harden: 4.9; .185 (ws/48)
    #2: Dwight: 4.7; .169
    #3: Parsons: 4.1; .152

Miami
    #1: LeBron: 7.6; .276
    #2: Bosh: 3.7; .161
    #3: Wade: 3.2; .161

Indiana
    #1: George: 6.6; .236
    #2: Hibbert: 4.2; .180
    #3: Stephenson: 4.2; .159

Oklahoma City
    #1: Durant: 9.2; .315
    #2: Ibaka: 3.9; .157
    #3: Westbrook: 2.4; 138

Golden State
    #1: Curry: 5.7; .192
    #2: Lee: 5.1; .182
    #3: Thompson: 3.7; .121

San Antonio is a weird example, as nobody on the team has over 4 win shares (but four have over 3, and eight have over 2).

1 person likes this.
  17. Raven

Raven Member

Morey might let Parsons test free agency, so it's not surprising that he wouldn't gush too much over him. The real inkling from the interview is the simple confirmation of what we all knew, that Morey won't trade Assik for anyone or anything that can't be used to help acquire a third star.

1 person likes this.
  18. Swishh

Swishh Member

I'm glad that Morey realizes that this team, as it stands, is not a championship team.

Both the roster and coaching needs to get tweaked.

1 person likes this.
  19. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Great information here.
    I love how low Westbrook's number is, are these numbers at all influenced by missed games?

20. jms99

jms99 Member

rockets don't even have that first best player on a championship team. At least not yet. There's a good chance that Harden will develop into a better player or that Howard will.

But right now, we don't have that Number One player. That takes more experience or extreme talent. Nobody on our team is there yet.