1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pau Gasol

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nono, Nov 4, 2012.

1. nono

nono Member

What do you guys think about making a trade for Pau Gasol ? The Lakers have a serious problem right now in that they are very old are are getting torched by the younger teams in the league. For multiple reasons, I see us being able to convince them to trade Gasol to us.

I think he will fit really well in our team. He is an excellent rebounder. Excellent post player. Plays decent defense. Worst case scenario, we can just we will have an expiring contract on our hands if we don't like him and can use this to either get Aldridge or Love in a year.

McHale has made it evident that he has no interest in developing the rookies. So why not just immediately make the trades to make this team better ? This is a young team, so the sooner the new max player plays with Harden and Lin, the better it will be for us. Gasol would instantly make us the third or 4th best team in the league and by then adding the proper role players, we can have a shot at competing. What do you guys say ?

2. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

It'd be vetoed for "basketball reasons."

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Like your username, nono to Gasol.

4. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

unfortunately, GM's around the league have already blacklisted Morey

5. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Totally illogical.
    1. Our team is too young and needs experience to become a legit title contender.
    2. He is what 32? and on a decline.
    3. We will not become a championship contender even with Gasol for the next 2-3 years.
    3. We lose assets for trading.

6. nono

nono Member

So what player will we become a title contender with ? There are only so many available. Aldridge will not be traded right now, neither will Love. What choice do we have as of now? These players might be traded in a couple of years and Gasol would be a very good trade asset at that time.

7. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

Gasol is on the decline, and I think he doesn't want to come to Houston. When he's not happy, he doesn't play with much heart.

8. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

With our young core and flexibility, the Harden deal gave us an opportunity to build a dynasty...much like OKC. No sense in trading for Gasol and eat up all that cap space for us to make the it to game 6 of the second round in the playoffs for one or two seasons. Much rather wait for a young upcoming star in the offseason.

9. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Gasol has a horrible contract and plays above average at best, he would be liability to the team because like his former teammate Odom, he is soft mentally without Kobe pulling him along. Better off trading for Meta WorldPeace.

10. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Unless we can get Lebron James or Durant, we will not be a title contender anytime soon.

Acquire a young stud who can grow with the team is the most logical way. Haven't you read this thread??

Exercising patience (click)

11. AbrahamLincoln

There still is the possibility that Bynum could walk out of Philly. To my knowledge he has not signed anything and becomes a free agent after this season. I know that he is likely to resign there but crazier Sh** has happened.

12. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Gasol is on a decline quickly and it would be a waste to use some of our assets and young talented players to waste

13. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

DeMarcus Cousins is on his contract year right? I'd start making calls to him ASAP and make a pitch to him. Asik doesn't need to touch the ball so Cousins will have the paint all to himself to go to work opposed to sharing the ball with Thompson and Robinson. And he's a natural 4, isn't he, so he can slide back to his natural position with us.

Lin
    Harden
    Parson
    Cousins
    Asik

In a couple of years, this could be the best starting 5 in the West for many, many years to come.

14. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Is Cousins really that good? Every time people talk about him it sounds like he's the next great big man. Are people just talking about his potential and the fact that he's still young? Maybe it's just me, but I haven't really seen anything from Cousins that makes me say...wow, we gotta get that guy.

15. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

He will want to sign max contract if he plays well this year. With his ailing knees, it could be Amare Statoumire 2.0. Too high of a risk.
    I think it's against the league rules to contact his agent privately...not 100% sure on this.

16. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Adding to what I said, in 2 years:

Lin will probably be a 18 and 7 player, Harden will be a 25 and 5 player, Cousins will be a 22 and 10 player, Parsons will play the Shane Battier role, and Asik will be a 9 and 10 player with 2 blocks.

Make the pitch for Cousins!

17. underrated015

underrated015 Member

dunno about pau, rather just develop the youngsters n see what u can do to get aldridge or cousins.

18. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

It's hard to trade for Gasol's contract without trading one of Lin, Harden or Asik.

For a max contract player, it'll probably have to be via free agency.

19. maizer

maizer Member

If a cheap 1 year rental is possible why not? But I see a bigger chance of Boston imploding and fire selling Kevin Garnett.

20. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

He's 6'11" and strong and athletic for his size, could afford to lose a little weight though. Natural glass eater and his defense keeps getting better and better. Already had a post game entering the draft, but the thing is he settles for too many outside shots and he's never played with a good playmaker to give him easy looks. That whole Kings franchise has been dysfunctional though.

Based on talent, he should have been the number 1 pick.