1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

aldridge: 'bryant contacted a team and begged the team to trade for him'.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Achebe, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

damn. what team isn't very good that kobe would call?

1) chicago - too cheesey b/c of the Jordan thing.
    2) wizards? maybe?
    3) philly? it's his home, but I think that even aldridge would know that they're at the top of the east.

weird. I wonder who it was.

------------------
    We're going to stay together until something happens, if something happens. - Sidney Lowe on Shareef's career in Vancouver.

2. Steve_Francis_rules

Even if Kobe wants individual glory, why would he want to go to a terrible team to do it?
    Those teams you mentioned seem like the only real options (maybe atlanta as well) because they no one to give for kobe in return and they would allow him to take every shot he wanted.

------------------

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Individual glory would be easiest to attain on a team with no one to compete with. If there's nobody else on the team, who else is the team going to go to but you? It's exactly why he would want to separate himself from Shaq.

------------------
    "Don't slap the glass Mobley, slap my ass...yeeeoooow!" -- HeyPartner decides to out himself. Makes you wonder if he's calling ISO's and 2 Shakes for himself... hehe

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

If this is true, I hope dicknose gets his wish because the odds are he'd be double/triple teamed, forced to pass the ball to his bad teammates and his "skills" would be totally wasted thus lowering his output and ruin his chances at leading the league in scoring and winning any rings or MVP's.

Have a nice day Kobe...ya shmuck!

------------------
    Go vote for Steve Francis for the All-Star game!! You only have until Sunday!!

Vote for Francis!

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

My bet would be NY. It has the glitz and glamour of LA but no real singular star. LA could end up with Sprewell or Houston and NY could get a big name.

------------------
    I am very very sleepy.

6. Achebe

I'm guessing you're right Jeff. NY fits the big atmosphere that Kobe seems to like.

NY also fits the mood of the phrase "it isn't very good". That phrase is distinctly different than saying the team is mediocre, or bad. A team that "isn't very good" can still win a bunch of games, they just don't dominate, and its (the team's) holes are obvious.

Of course I'm completely full of @#$t, but I still agree w/ you. [​IMG]

------------------
    We're going to stay together until something happens, if something happens. - Sidney Lowe on Shareef's career in Vancouver.

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Yep, when the defense doubles down on Camby, Kobe would get plenty of open looks.

NY doesn't sound right. They do have some trade bait at the 2/3 in Spree & Houston.

Mango

------------------
    Lets get the Mo Go working!
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

8. Achebe

Maybe after the end of the year, when the Blazers win the title, Kobe will be traded to the Kings for Webber.

------------------

9. Mango

Achebe,

Don't you think that he would end up in the East so he would be in LA only twice a year for a Laker game and a Clipper game?

Mango

------------------
    3. No duplicate threads

10. Achebe

Mango,

I'm wondering if w/ a player of Kobe's stature you just get the best possible roi and assume what everyone else is assuming... that w/o having a significant clog in the middle that he'll turn into Stackhouse.

I personally don't buy the notion that Kobe is going to turn into Stackhouse (who's playing pretty damn well right now I might add). I personally think that Kobe can be greater than MJ... but only if his ego doesn't push every other player away from him.

If he does leave, he has to play the wounded hero and insist that Shaq can't hit fts (he can't) and that therefore it's a moot point.

IMO, Kobe is a better player than Shaq. This breakdown was inevitable. Too bad Shaq isn't dependable in the fourth, or else his 'status quo' argument would be more sound.

At least as a fan of another team, we get to see turmoil. [​IMG]

------------------

11. Summer Song Giver

To the other LA for Odom and Richardson,then we'll see how great Kobe really is....for those of you unable to recognize sarcasm how great Kobe really is is oozing with it.I actually saw this somewhere(didn't materialize from the depths of Summer Song's mind)Also I didn't look at salaries but my bet is if the front offices wanted to make it happen they could.

------------------
    Now chew through my ball sack

12. Mango

Shaq + Odom + Q > Kandi Man + Kobe

If it was August, I could see the Lakers giving thought to that trade.

Mango

------------------
    3. No duplicate threads

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited January 12, 2001).]

13. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

IF Chicago really is a possibility, here's a trade that might happen and that benefits both teams involved.

Los Angeles trades:

Kobe Bryant
    Devean George
    Medvedenko

Chicago trades:

Ron Mercer
    Marcus Fizer
    Ron Artest
    Michael Ruffin
    Khalid El-Amin

How it benefits the Bulls
    They acquire a great player in Devean George [​IMG]

How it benefits the Lakers:

They acquire more depth and more balanced scoring

Shaq/Madsen
    Grant/Fizer/Ruffin
    Horry/Artest/Fox
    Mercer/Rider/Shaw
    Harper/El-Amin/Penberthy

It leaves them without a true backup center, but they do have 4 good power forwards, 3 of whom can play center.

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

14. Steve_Francis_rules

I wouldn't call Madsen a good NBA power forward.
    Pimp, if being the only man on a team makes it harder to score, how come guys like Jordan (when he was first in the league) and Stackhouse and Iverson (earlier in his career) were able to put up numbers?

------------------

15. vj23k

He is only a rookie, and he has shown flshes of being a good 4 in the leauge.

------------------

16. Steve_Francis_rules

It doesn't matter if Mark Madsen, the NBA rookie has shown flashes of being a good 4 in this league in his very limited playing time (which he uses to average less than 2 points and 2 rebounds per game. You aren't a good player in this league until you can consistently play well. Which is why I would not yet consider Fizer or Ruffin good players yet, either.
    Fizer definitely has the most potential of these three and I think he will eventually be a good power forward, but he is not yet.
    A team like the Lakers, who are competing for an NBA championship, need players who can consistently play well now, so that they can continue winning, as opposed to players who may someday become good enough to get significant playing time on a winning team.

------------------

17. vj23k

And since the deal was based on "if they were gonna trade one of them( which they wont)" this MIGHT be a deal that is possible.

They have been looking to get some more balanced scoring. Mercer can put up 18 points a night,Artest can give you 10, Fizer provides them with 10 THIS season, and possible more in seasons to come.

I dont think this deal would happen, but if LA and Chicago were going to deal, this would be what it would be like.

------------------

18. Steve_Francis_rules

oh ok, mercer is in there too. That's a much better trade for the lakers, when i first looked at that I didn't see Ron Mercer's name.
    That still doesn't change the fact that you a player shouldn't be considered good just because he has the potential to someday be good.

------------------

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

NBAtalk reported today that he called Michael Jordan and asked the Wizards to make a move for him. Of course, they have nothing valuable in return to give to the Lakers.

------------------
    President of the Jason Collier and Mo Taylor fan club!

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

20. Steve_Francis_rules

Washington is a realistic possibility. They suck, and would give Kobe every offensive opportunity he wanted, and they have no players with any market value to give back.

------------------